Thread: A day with Sam Maloof

A day with Sam Maloof

Sam Maloof and his wife Beverly are two of the most gracious and kind people you will ever meet. Not only did we get to see Sam work in his shop but we were invited to see his new home and set, touch and feel all the furniture he has built for his own residence. His house is a reflection of his life and love of the crafts, as it is filled with art, pottery and many types of unique items. If you have never sat in a Maloof rocking chair this is the chance of a lifetime. His chairs are very good to look at and smooth to the feel of the hand but, most of all very comfortable!
    Sam’s shop is not very large, not as I thought it would be. He has all the basic tools, table saw, jointer, planer and a band saw that is quite large. The band saw is the newest tool that I could see and his old band saw is in a back room, it’s an old Delta 14” that he used for years making his furniture. He also uses what looks like the first Delta variable speed drill press. He is frugal when it comes to buying tools, two things he said was you don’t need expensive and fancy tools to make good furniture and don’t go into debt buying tools and equipment, buy what you can pay for at the time. His favorite tools seem to be the Nicholson rasps that he use’s with untiring skill. He has a lot of wood mostly walnut his favorite. I think he said a half million board feet or so, wow! Some of the slabs were huge the tree must have been awesome.
    Sam will tell you he has no secrets about his craft and is more than willing to share his techniques, ask him and he will show you.
    I would recommend this workshop to anyone that is interested in Sam Maloof, his furniture or his woodworking technique. I wish it was a week or two long! It was a most interesting and gratifying day and it was all made possible by my wife who heard me say one day last year “I sure would like to spend a day with Sam Maloof”. This was my Christmas gift, a gift of memories that will last a lifetime.
    Thanks for listning.

Charles, thanks for sharing that. Sounds like quite an experience. Anytime you can rub elbows with a master is a good thing.

And, welcome to SawMillCreek! Todd

Charles,
    My son Ryan and I had the same experience with Sam at the new house. It was a great day and he spent a great deal of time talking to each person that was there. It is a joy to watch him work and as you said the end result....the furniture is what is important to him. He will always take the most direct method of getting there using the fastest and best technique and compromising nothing. He reminds me a lot of my dad, when he was alive....The Sam Maloof day was a rewarding experience I will not forget as well!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    When can I sign up for a day with the likes of Mark, Todd, Jim, Terry, John, Ken, Keith and Dennis?? I know I left some names out but I was getting typers cramp. The legends of tomorrow .
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Tyler,
    I am waiting to sign up for your ice melting seminars...."how to remove ice from a Carrera without hurting the finish"...I know your a pro by now! As soon as that blizzard hits Laguna I get you a ticket and your out here and I am all ears and scrapers and hairdryers.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    [QUOTE=Mark Singer]Tyler,
    I am waiting to sign up for your ice melting seminars...."how to remove ice from a Carrera without hurting the finish"...I know your a pro by now! As soon as that blizzard hits Laguna I get you a ticket and your out here and I am all ears and scrapers and hairdryers

Mark, I'm your man. But you may not want to watch. It aint pretty.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

A fantastic "class"! I highly reccomend it to anyone that has interest.

The time that I went was right before the Smithsonian exhibit. He had brought together a lot of his work for the show, that he had "borrowed" from their owners. It was an amazing assortment and awesome to experience(sitting, touching, trying not to drool).

By far the best part was getting to know the man, Sam Maloof. I have not met a more grounded "legend". He has no sense of importance. Absolutely a joy to be around.

Regards,
    M.J.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    M.J.

If anyone goes to Sam’s workshop bring your camera, I forgot to bring mine! I sure missed out on some good pictures! Oh well next year I'll not forget.

Mike,

Welcome to the creek. Great picture. Everyone's expeience with Sam sounds great.

Dave

BTW: We are almost neighbors

Do you think Sam hit his thumb with his nail gun?

Todd,
    I hope to be hitting my thumb with anything at his age!

David> We are probably closer neighbors than you think...I work in the city and live near the Brookfield Zoo,

Todd/Mark> Sam had run his thumb into a bandsaw blade the week before the class. He was mad that he didn't stop to change a dull blade...and consequently was pushing the piece much harder than you normally would. The ironic part was that his standard disclaimer "you shouldn't free hand like this on the bandsaw" had a little more meaning to it!

Here's a couple more pics: freehanding on the BS, the classroom, a music stand, and a chair based on his rocker design (stunning and comfortable).
    M.J.

Jeff Watson Guest

A day with Sam Maloof

Mike, I am curious.

Do you know how big and what type of bandsaw that is in the picture?

Jeff

agazanni (sp?) 24"

A few more pics...
    Interesting detail Sam used on his window trim!
    Cool chair style
    The dining set it was part of
    And my favorite detail on his rockers!
    M.J.