Thread: Cast vs Extruded acrylic

Cast vs Extruded acrylic

Any difference in vector cutting extruded acrylic vs cast? I have used cast up to this point with good results, but the local plastics supplier only has extruded on hand. I will not be rastering anything so do not need the frosted look that cast gives when rastered. Plus I found out that extruded is less expensive. Working with 1/8" material.

Thanks,

Todd
    Todd Schwartz - Des Moines, Iowa
    Universal VLS 4.60 (60W) / ShopBot Buddy / Sherline CNC Mill / MakerBot Replicator+
    CorelDraw X6 / Photograv 3 / FlashCut 4 / Aspire 9

Not really, no. Should be about the same on something that thin. I've had a little bit of difference in the thick stuff, but not the thin. That's just my personal experience with it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

For cutting the difference is very little, but extruded does come out a bit smoother.

For engraving cast is the only way to go. It gives that frosted look, and remains fairly clear when paint filling. Extruded gives more of a textured muddy look to the engraving.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Another point worth mentioning is that extruded stinks when it's cut but cast has an almost sweet smell
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Lasers cut Extruded better , but extruded is VERY prone to stress cracking after being laser processed. This happens when some solvents and other chemicals are used or near it. This happens anytime , sometimes immediately , but mostly a little time down the line.
    So depending on what the part is for , I would be a little careful. Especially if its a repeat order and you used cast before.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Schwartz View Post
    Any difference in vector cutting extruded acrylic vs cast? I have used cast up to this point with good results, but the local plastics supplier only has extruded on hand. I will not be rastering anything so do not need the frosted look that cast gives when rastered. Plus I found out that extruded is less expensive. Working with 1/8" material.

Thanks,

Todd
    Todd:
    Rodne is right there. I believe what he is speaking of is called "crazing". I've cut a good bit of acrylic lately, both cast and extruded. For whatever reason I've experienced the problem with extruded and not cast. BUT..for the difference in the price, if you waste some extruded your not killed. Just don't clean it with any kind of chemical stuff before vectoring and it should serve you well.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

I have been working on some acrylic projects lately and I am doing only cutting. I do need to do some bonding though and any thing I have tried is cracking the edges. I tried the Weld-on and several other solvent type bonders, Cracks every time. I have also used superglue but it "hazes" too much. I have had some success with a plastic glue but it takes forever to dry and can be very messy if you are not very careful. Any Ideas?

There is a way of stopping the cracking , and that is to anneal the pex. Leave the cut parts in an oven at about 80c for 1 hr per mm thickness and let them air cool , this stress releives them.
    Alternatively , use only cast acrylic with tensol glues. If you use extruded , use glues specific to extruded (Degussa makes many)
    One can debur and scrape edges too , which does somewhat releive the problem.
    How to tell whether its extruded or cast:
    Burn a piece , extruded burns silently and will drip molten balls , cast burns with a crackly/smokey flame and wont drip.

Quote Originally Posted by William Johanson View Post
    I have been working on some acrylic projects lately and I am doing only cutting. I do need to do some bonding though and any thing I have tried is cracking the edges. I tried the Weld-on and several other solvent type bonders, Cracks every time. I have also used superglue but it "hazes" too much. I have had some success with a plastic glue but it takes forever to dry and can be very messy if you are not very careful. Any Ideas?
    William:
    Did you use Weldon #3? If not, which one?
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

No it is Weldon #4. Does that make a difference? Thanks