Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to install

Smile Where to install

My Wife and I are really close to ordering our machine. We are trying to figure out the best place to put it. We have a few options, but I would like your input on this.

1 - Garage - We have a two car garage, but there isn't much room in there with our car and a boat. (Removing either of them is not an option) (So says the wife) Also, she is concerned about the temperature. It gets cold out there in the winter and hot in the summer.

2 - Laundry Room - We have room in there to put the machine and have shelves for storage and room for the computer setup etc.. (The wife is concerned about humidity from the dryer, etc.)

3 - Up stairs room - We have plenty of room up there, but getting it there is going to be the problem. The steps make a 90 degree turn and it's all thick carpet up there.

We are looking at the Laser Pro Spirit S-30. From what I've seen the technology seems to be a little ahead of everyone else, especially in the driver area. (Still studying though, and any input on that would be appreciated as well.)

I was wondering (even with the machine vented outside), how bad are the fumes in the room? We will be using Acrylic, Wood & Glass. Would we need extra ventilation?

These are the machines we compared:
    Pinnacle - M-30
    Universal - V-460
    Epilog - Helix 24
    Laser Pro - S-30

Thanks everyone..
    Ricky
    Last edited by Ricky Gore; 10-28-2007 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Add other machines we are considering.

My 2c

I would not go for the upstairs room, especially if it's carpeted. The odour from the materials you burn will be near impossible got get out ( I speak from experience here ) even with a very good extactor a small percentage will escape the machine into the house and you WILL get a smell.

So, go for the laundry. Just install good ducting for your whitewear to take that humidity out.

As for machines, I can't compare as I've only ever used an Epilog.
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Epilog Helix 45W, Corel X3, Adobe CS3

Out of the three, with the descriptions given, I'd go for the laundry room and seriously ventilate the dryer. You're going to be needing a hole in the wall for ventilation anyway, so putting in a proper vent for the dryer can be part of the same job. The only proviso is if you still have moisture in the room afterwards it 1) won't do the machine any good, although they can stand a bit of humidity and 2) you'd have to store your materials (well wood, anyway) somewhere completely dry (and flat) to stop it warping. Just taking wet clothes out of the washer to put in the dryer would be enough moisture to knacker some woods

Temperature can be a problem, and you're going to be needing some space round the machine, so the garage doesn't sound right. Plus, you CAN do the graphics work hunched over the machine with a laptop propped up on something, but your work will be and look rushed if you're uncomfortable. Over 30 degrees and some models can get a little huffy and shut down the laser...low temperatures are unpleasant to work in, if nothing else.

Up stairs room- you can bribe some husky types to get your machine upstairs, so it's always doable; but there is always a fire risk with laser engraving, which is something to consider. Assuming your utility room is tiled, that would be better, as well as not crushing marks into your carpet. The smell from glass isn't too bad, and humanity has been breathing in woodsmoke since the dawn of time; but acrylic smells horrible. And lingers. I have a bedroom setup myself, and I try to do acrylic early in the morning, if I have to do it, to allow time to let the smell clear. Even with a decent extracting ventilator AND air-assist turned on to increase throughput AND many of the vents taped up, you're still going to have some fume leakage into the room the machine is in. You don't want to be sleeping with that smell, trust me. Of course, you can make sure you always work with the door closed (and optionally use draftproofing on the door if necessary) to make it work.

I will go against the grain here and vote for the upstairs room. You will spend a lot of time running your engraver and it is best placed in an office type environment where you and the machine will be comfortable. Place it right next to your PC that you do design work on and purchase a very high quality chair with lumbar support.

There will be some fumes to deal with but they are not nearly as big an issue for you as it will be for your neighbors if they live in close proximity to your vent. Minor fumes in the room you work is part of being an engraver like dust is to a woodworker, you can take precautions but you can't totally eliminate all of the odors. Don't forget that in some seasons the static from a dryer can be a huge problem for your very expensive machine and plastic materials.

Carpet is an expendable item, make yourself as comfortable as possible.

Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-29-2007 at 5:58 AM.

I agree with Keith

I like the upstairs option, too. I'm currently using half of the upstairs bonus room for my set up. I've just completed finishing 2 bedrooms and a 3/4 bath in the attic (I had it framed at the time the house was built and we've now finished it 3 years later). One bedroom will be used for engraving only. That's my cave!

The exhaust blower will be in the attic along with the air assist. This will cut down on the noise I'm putting up with right now! I've wired a switch that will control the air assist and exhaust from the bedroom.

The bedroom will be used only for engraving and it makes for a nice setup and is comfortable. I think Keith is definitely right about the comfort! It's amazing how quick you can run out of room, too! It sounds like your upstairs might offer the best long-term fix. I haven't had trouble with the smell so I don't see it as a concern. I'm exhausting through the attic directly outside. I'm looking forward to the lack of noise or at least the improved noise level over my current configuration.

Good luck with your decision!

Jim

Mine's upstairs in my shop which is a "bonus room" above the garage. My son and I were able to carry it up. Hopefully you move it up once and it stays there, it's not like it has to be moved a lot. My exhaust vents through a window into which I placed a panel with a round opening, made to fit so that the window is open part way but blocked by the panel so it's airtight.

The smells do not enter the room as long as you let the fan run a few seconds after you finish running the job. The smell from the cut material itself does not leave the room if you keep the room door closed most of the time.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Upstairs in the house!

for all the reasons stated above.

If the smell is a problem for you, try one of the electronic air cleaners in the room for the air. Exhaust outside and let it run for a bit after a cut. Mine is in a room that I built in my woodworking shop. I had my laser in the house but I found running between the shop and the house was not good! You will find sitting in the laundry room not good I bet.

Good luck
    Trotec Speedy 300 45W
    Universal VLS4.60 50W
    Universal M-300 50w
    ShopBot PRSAlpha48
    Techno LC4848
    Oneway 2436

Fire

Thanks for all the quick responses, it is looking like the upstairs room may be the place to go. That's where all my computer stuff is already, and it is comfortable.

More questions though, when venting the machine, will there be burning / fire hazard materials going out the vent? I would be venting from upstairs, and there is a small wooded area next to my house. I have about 10 feet of grass (weeds) then the wooded area.

ALso, will there be larger materials that have to be cleaned up, going out the vent?

Thanks Everyone...
    This forum is so much help!
    (Yes, you will see contributer next to my name come Nov. 1st)

Ricky
    Last edited by Ricky Gore; 10-29-2007 at 9:18 AM. Reason: spelling!

Just pre-burned particles go through the vent. In theory, bits of burnig paper could go as far as your filter which could be a problem, but as far as I know, if it's exuded by your machine, it's already been well toasted. The particles could collect and stain your grass where the vent exits, but that's not a problem, really.

Anything large should not get through your filter (which in my case is a bit of foam-rubber-type material through which the extracted air passes before continuing outside). Just particles.

I've been running here nearly a year now with mine venting toward the dry grass and 100' all fir trees. Other than an occasional bit of paper or card stock (unburned, just cut) going out, no signs of anything making it that far. With a squirrel cage type fan I doubt anything that makes it that far could still be burning. Remember too you are upstairs so any particles have to drop 15-20' before landing. If you are concerned you could always add a piece of 1/4" wire screen as a spark arrester.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

Yes - My vote for upstairs as well. But - In regards to the closed door. Wasn't there some type of discussion one time about negative air flow? Or was that just for basement installations where there is a furnace?

Ed
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Maloney View Post
    Yes - My vote for upstairs as well. But - In regards to the closed door. Wasn't there some type of discussion one time about negative air flow? Or was that just for basement installations where there is a furnace?

Ed
    The latter.

Still, when running mine I always have a window cracked. If nothing else it will prevent air from being sucked in from under the doors which can cause a buildup of dust on the carpet at those spots, and from having more air sucked through the furnace vent which could make the other rooms cooler. The fact is I like it cooler in here than my wife and daughter do downstairs so it works out great.

Sammamish, WA

Thank you

That makes me feel a lot better about the whole thing.
    My wife is always worried about fire etc.. We have to check and make sure everything is unplugged before we leave the house. So, this information is a great help.

Thanks everyone,
    Ricky

Oddly enough I have finally moved out of my 6' x 5' room out to a cabin which I have built at the rear of the house. It's still small but much bigger in comparison to what I did have. It's 12' x 6' but it's looking pretty good, having a few problems sorting my internet connection but the laser works. Was very difficult to move it back down the stairs in the house mainly because they are just so bulky. Fortunately they are mainly air, so I do have to praise the wife for being able to help me shift it. I would have let her do it on her own but I didn't want to spoil her.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

.and these are the last of them. Floor is Rhodesian Teak which is nice seeing as I was born in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender