Thread: Russell Jennings auger bit question

Russell Jennings auger bit question

Are the Russell Jennings No. 100 auger bits fine or coarse thread? Or can they be either?

Thanks, Rick

Follow up questions: Are the No. 100 bits different than the Russell Jennings without a number series?

Are the Russell Jennings bits manufactured by Stanley after they bought RJ still good bits?

I'm thinking of bidding on a set on e-bay.

Thanks, Rick

The only difference with the tpi of the lead screw is the rate of feed and the finer ones will plug up in soft woods like pine. Most Old Auger bits are of good quality no matter who made them. The things to watch out for are worn out lead screws, improperly sharpened cutting edges and bent shanks.

Auger bits have a tendency to tear out on the bottom side as you will have to push it thru when the lead screw no longer pulls it. There are two schools of thought on preventing this, 1. use a scrap sacrificial piece clamped to the bottom side. 2. when you can feel the point starting to come thru the bottom side, stop, withdraw the bit and finish boring from the bottom side.

Drilling into end grain can be a problem at times also as the lead screw will not grab as well. I always put a little beeswax or use a candle on the lead screws of my auger bits.

Auger bits are somewhat difficult to use to enlarge an existing hole, so I made myself a set of auger bit guides as no original ones seem to have survived.

Another alternative is to use your Auger Bit Boring Guide, for boring holes 90° to the face and positioning it centered over the hole to be enlarged.

Either of these enlarging procedures is strickly a push operation as the lead screw is no help.
    Last edited by harry strasil; 10-28-2007 at 1:15 PM.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

FWIW, A little history of the Russel Jennings Auger Bits.

A Blacksmith originally invented the Russel Jennings design, but lacked the capital necessary to go into production.

As he had a preference (habit) for strong drink, (cocaine, laudenum (liquid morphine) and other tonics), he accumulated a rather large shall we say Bar Tab as the Pharmacy which was close by and he traded his patent to the Pharmacist one Mr. Rusell Jennings to pay his Bar Tab.

Mr. Jennings saw a future in this new design and started a company that went into production of this style of Auger bit and the rest is history.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

At least on the North Coast of California...

The Jennings auger bits I've seen have tended to be fine thread. Solid center bits ("Irwin" is the big brand around here) tend to be coarse thread. Harry's right that the fiine thread bits can load up in softwood, especially if it's at all damp. But if you're cutting into a hardwood, the fine threads should work better.