Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worth Saving?

Thanks for all your input and suggestions. I also use coffee grounds and CA glue to fill cracks. Jerry, I put painter's tape on one side of a bowl if the crack goes all the way through the bowl, and I tinted this with a tint I bought at the hardware store they use to tint paint. They have all different colors of tint and they will sell you some of it if you take a small jar like CA comes in or a baby food jar.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Thanks Glenn. I'll give it a try.
    As it happens I had a laminated glue up go a lttle wrong yesterday for a peppermill. I tried a fill with epoxy and coffee grounds and it came out okay. I would have preferred not to have done that and it will probably be turned away anyway. I just wanted to test the method for what we are talking about using it for--large cracks and holes.
    Pretty easy to do. The only thing I think I'll try next time is regrinding the coffee grounds. Seems like a bit finer grind would look better. I grind it fine when I make my coffee, but it swells some when used.

I agree Jerry, I would like the coffee grounds to me finer.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Glenn,

I don't think you should save this at all...... in fact, you can send it to me and I will see to it that is goes where it belongs........On my mantle! Great save, beautiful piece.

Steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Thumbs up

Imho that is a keeper for sure. I think that is one great bowl. great job on the save.

Roy

Glenn, you did a good job on it. The cracks look good, and the contrast of the epoxy and the wood is great!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Allen View Post
    I have some nice pieces that after finishing got hairline cracks.
    Jerry, I use fresh coffee because of the look of it when you really look close. I buy Maryland Club, because it's the cheapest I could find. I take about a third of it, and run it through the Vitamix until I have powder. I use this powder on small cracks.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Allen,
    So it's lighter colored? What's the difference you see?
    I can see where fine would be easier to fill with and have a more uniform texture. I'm also thinking about cutting it with a light colored sawdust might be interesting.
    (I'm too frugal to not want use the coffee first. I guess it would have to be real cheap.)