Thread: Nova chuck: Midi vs G3

Nova chuck: Midi vs G3

Please compare/contrast the Nova Midi with the G3. So far, I know the Midi uses tommy bars, vs the keyed G3. Any other differences? I just bought a Rikon lathe yesteday, picked up the Midi along with it, now wondering if I should have gotten the G3. From what reading I've done, they now both have the same jaw travel, which I understand was an issue with the early Midi's. I have zero experience with spinny things (other than routers). Figured I'd go with a Nova, as the jaws are interchangeable, and I will most likely upgrade to a larger machine eventually. The lathe is still in it's box, have to finish another project before setting it up, so the chuck could still be exchanged if it would be advantageous to do so.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 10-23-2007 at 5:48 PM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

The other primary difference other than tommy bar/key issue you've already raised is that the G3 chuck takes threaded inserts and the Midi is direct threaded. With the G3 you can swap out the insert and use the same chuck on a lathe with a different spindle thread. If you ever outgrow your Rikon and move up to a lathe with a 1 1/4" X 8 TPI spindle you simply change the insert rather than purchasing a new chuck or a spindle adaptor.

It's also much easier to mount a blank in the chuck with a key, you don't need 2 hands to operate the tommy bars while your third hand supports the blank.

Also note that for only $15 more than the G3 Woodcraft currently has the Supernova 2 on sale. With either the G3 or Supernova you'll need to purchase an insert, that may factor into your decision as well.

Jason

I agree with Jason. You can move your the G3 around if you decide later to get a bigger lathe. Also if money is a issue I wouldn't let the tommy bars detour you. I have the midi with the tommy bars and would say I use it a lot. Put whatever you are going to clamp in your chuck in the jaws bring up the tool rest to hold it in place and tighten. If you can swing the Super Nova it is one good chuck.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks guys. I was initially going to go with the SN2, but was told that since it was significantly heavier, it would not be such a good choice of a 1/2 HP lathe.

Please keep the comments coming.

Dan

-Woody Allen-

One other thought Dan is the Grizzly chuck for $99.95. It is on page 121 of the Griz catalog and is the H6265. I have two of them that I use on my Rikon and they work just fine. Also you can go to CSUSA and the small Vicmarc chuck jaws will fit it. I think it and the small Vicmarc are the same. I also have the small Vicmarc for my Nova DVR and the jaws will interchange.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Blog Entries
    What ever you choose remember this, I bought a Rikon Midi from Woodcraft a few weeks ago and the "lathe guy" of the store made note that you don't want to go heavier than 3 lbs. with the Chuck, or you'll be replacing bearings sooner than you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Lanier View Post
    What ever you choose remember this, I bought a Rikon Midi from Woodcraft a few weeks ago and the "lathe guy" of the store made note that you don't want to go heavier than 3 lbs. with the Chuck, or you'll be replacing bearings sooner than you might think.
    The G3 is about 3.5 lb, the Midi is just under 3 lb.

Anyone else have or know of problems with bearings?

Dan

-Woody Allen-

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman View Post
    The G3 is about 3.5 lb, the Midi is just under 3 lb.

Anyone else have or know of problems with bearings?

Dan
    I've found 'some' of the Woodcraft guys are often incorrect in their expert advise and that they will answer differently on different days.
    That said, Technatool specifically recommends the G3 for smaller lathes, http://www.teknatool.com/products/Ch...a_G3_Chuck.htm and so does Woodcraft, http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5766
    I've been using the G3 on the Jet midi since it came out (the G3) and haven't had any issues.

All the Nova chucks with the exception of the Titan can be had with insert/adapter or dedicated thread versions. Now if they are available like that in the US I don't know. I use all of the chucks except the Titan and have no special preference as they all work well, 2 midi's, 3 G3's, 1 Supernova and 1 Supernova II. Now as far as the Rikon lathe bearings go they had problems from the get go and after working with them for over a year to resolve the problem the last one they sent (4th lathe/head) still sounded like a washing machine. Since it went on over a year I could not get my money back from Woodcraft and when I asked Rikon to return my money I never heard from them again. So I'm stuck with a noisy lathe that the head gets very hot after a short time. I have a Delta midi that can run for days and not get warm and I've never heard a Delta or Jet that is as loud. I know that new bearings will be in the future for the Rikon.