Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nails vs screws for framing

I've also used both, but I like nails better for that project. I had a framing nailer but gave it to Habitat when I was done building my shop. For $42, I bought a Bostich palm nailer and now save my arm when I have to nail stuff. However, if you don't have a compressor the cost can go up.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

don't over think

don't over think this. deck screws will work just fine.do not use drywall screws.jim

Screws have their place... not in frameing though...

The reason nails are used in framing is they work better. The vinyl coated sinkers hold better and withstand more sheer stress than the screws will. The way they hold is obviously different but if the house moves the nails will flex and will still hold... the screws will either pull through or break. Screws are great for sheeting something but not for the frame of the house. On a little shed... do whatever you want... if you want to use screws there are some that will work. Make sure you call McFeelys and tell them what you want the screws for first. They will get you some with a more ductile or flexible shaft. Even so in most cases screws will not pass a building inspection with wood framing.

Drew

I ran a framing crew for several years and have had a General Contractors license. Unlike most of you guys... framing is what I am good at... cabinet and furniture making is the new fun thing for me.

As a homeowner/diyer I sympathize w/yr reluctance to rent or buy a framing nailer - especially if you don't own a compressor. If the framing stage takes a few days or weekends, the price of renting can become prohibitive.

I know it's old-fashioned, but I framed a partition wall with relative ease with a hammer. Toe nailing is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. On a small shed, I can't imagine that the time saved with a pneumatic'd be THAT much more.

To keep the studs from shifting while hand nailing, I screwed a removable 'stop' next to the stud while I nailed it into place. I also pre-drilled the holes just to keep the angle straight and to prevent splitting. It's overkill, but once you get the hang of it, it goes pretty quickly.

All that being said, if yr gonna do trimwork, I'd definitely invest in a compressor and a finish or brad nailer. For that kind of work, I really appreciate the speed and neatness of the pneumatics.

5. I started using screws some 30 off years ago when working on ancient buildings I observed that I was knocking plaster off the walls in adjacent rooms.

Since then I have rarely used nails.
    I'll tell you this however. If any one ever has to take your work apart and you screwed it, they will hate you something fierce.

Hello,
    One word - Bostich.

Best $250 I've spent in a long, long, long time.

Framing nailers & roofing nailers are a lot like a hammer drill.

You may not need it often, but when you do, there's no substitute.

Part of the rehab we just finished involved driving nails into some 60 year old 2x4's. Those babies are hard as a rock.
    Believe me, after bending a half dozen nails midway through, I delveloped a ton of respect for the carpenters of the post WWII suburban era.
    Those guys must have had forearms like Popeye!

The framing nailer made short work of it. Ker-chunk and voila! One driven nail - countersunk slightly to boot.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Got to throw in my 2cents, but you've probably got this thing screwed together by now. I like and use both frequently. Everyone has good points
    but if its a small shed, and you don't have air, & if you may be a little bit
    uncomfortable with a nailer ( I've tagged the two middle fingers together
    with my paslode) actual costs may be close-collated nail aren't cheap either. You can't beat a nailer for wall framing or where precise fit is not
    important, but you can't beat a small cordless impact rigged for screw-
    driving (NOT a regular cordless screwdriver-too slow) for the precision stuff-windows etc. Besides the roof trusses need hurricane straps and
    that means hand nailing those anyway.--That said, you gota know I'm
    kind of a screw-it freak, having just finished a 540 lft long privacy fence
    with nothing-nothing - but screws, more than 7000 of them in fact. That
    fence will be there when I'm long gone, and longer than the neighbors' that was nailed.--LeeB