Thread: Newbie

I just wanted to tell everyone hello. I am new to the site. I am very glad I found this site. I bought a lazer system last week and it will be here Tuesday. Its a Accuris Powersharp16 and I can see I have alot to learn.

I look foward to learning from you pros in the industry.

Gene Hobbs
    [/SIZE]
    Last edited by Mike Null; 10-21-2007 at 12:47 AM. Reason: remove link

Gene

Good to see another new guy - I've just been a member for since yesterday and loving it! Let me know how you like your Accuris. We are still searching and learning. Not ready to buy yet. Have ordered Corel X3 and need to learn some basics with that before we take the plunge. The Accuris looks like a nice machine and I look forward to hearing about it.

Question Another new guy needs help!

I just joined today, and would like to say hello and thanks for all the tips. I spent a few hours today reading posts both old and new. I will be a regular now that I have found you.
    I found this sight while researching engravers online.
    I decided 4 days ago that I wanted to get one after reading an article about a possible growth industry personalizing cell phones cell phone cases and lap tops; I sell jewelry at fairs and trade shows and was looking for something to add to my sales. I have narrowed my choices down to 2 units one is from Frank at rabbit. the HX4060SE: $3350 or the HX6090SE: $3750 + shipping. Or a 400 Series ($2500 + shipping) Laser Engraverfrom Tom at the-lasersedge. The thing is I want something that is portable so I can take it to trade shows. The 400 series has very similar specs to the Accuris16, But not the bloated price. And the HX rabbit series from Frank fit nicely in the 3k to 5k range that most manufactures have missed. I am torn between the portable and relatively cheap unit (Toms 400) and the larger work area on the HX series. I don’t want to cheap out and find I need a larger work area later. So i am asking your help on this!
    I am going to buy one on Monday because I need it in time for my fall show schedule and need to get my order in ASAP. So if you know any reason to buy or not to buy one of these models please speak up.
    Thanks jim j.

Welcome to all! There's a lot to learn here. I know I sure have.

James, if you plan to use a laser at a trade show, you might have some issues if you don't use a filter system that's very expensive (more than the laser you are looking at). You'll need an exhaust system to extract the fumes no matter what, and I doubt you want to dump those fumes into a public area with people walking by.

Something to consider.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I will take this one.

Thanks for the tip I believe there is one on ebay for 3k I’ll have a look at.
    Also I believe I will go with Frank from rabbit ( if he gets back to me, and takes paypal or credit cards) I just realized that the machines sold by Tom at his site are identical to what Frank sells for half the money! That’s huge, and has me sold!
    Frank call me! Take my money! Please! I want the HX6090SE
    Please include the pointer.

Welcome to all of the newcomers. Glad you're aboard and hope you find this forum to be a treasure of information.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7