Thread: Am I the only JoolTool user?

Am I the only JoolTool user?

I see lots of posts about Wolverine and Tormek, and Work Sharp... but nothing about Jool Tool. Course i'm new so that might be why.

Anyways, I used to think the JoolTool was an overpriced gimmick and that Annie was just a top-heavy model hired to demo the gizmo.. till i had a chance to use it. Turns out its a very serious sharpening system and Annie is one of the co-inventor's of the thing. Talk about your pre-conceived notions. So i felt a little small after that.. but back to the tool....
    I just sharpened 4 turning tools with it today, using the 80 grit disk. The tools were badly abused, especially the skew so i touched it up a bit on the dry grinder first.. but the whole sharpening process for all 4 tools took less time that it does to set up the Tormek. Well maybe that's a teeny bit exaggerated but trust me, its WAY faster.
    Not sure how the Wolverine or Work sharp compare but after looking at the Work sharp, I didn't see if there's a way for grinding gouges and the wolverine scares me so much i haven't used it enough to compare.
    But i'm really pleased with the Jool Tool.

Oh and Annie's not bribing me to say this.

Jim I use it too. Much quicker and you don't remove much metal. Plus you don't get all that metal/stone dust kicking out.....Ron

YAY! I was beginning to feel like week old roadkill. And the other thing i noticed is that the abrasives last a long time if you don't apply too much pressure.
    Oh, and it pretty much cools itself with airflow.
    Yup i'm sold.
    I'd recommend it to anyone but serious chisel sharpeners (it won't do the flat of a large chisel or for that matter, any flat imho) or knife sharpeners.... can't manage to do a knife without catching the wheel.

It does skews much better than grinders.......Ron

Blog Entries
    I had given it a serious look at a show. I, alas, totally lack the sharpening gene and so anything that allows me to guide the tool will result in a bad angle. For non-flat stuff like turning tools and carving tools I think the thing is extremely cool for those of you with an element of control. Thank goodness for Veritas MKII, WorkSharps and such for us ability challenged folks.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

When I want the very sharpest of edges, I go to my JoolTool.

I have never paid too close attention to them but when I saw them my first thought was it looked like a toy. I'm not saying they don't work or anything, just that they weren't the manliest tool.
    Kevin
    Insert witty saying here.

Kevin, looks can be deceiving. True, it does have a plastic housing, but it's very well built.

Jim,

I have met Anne at shows; had the opportunity to try the Jool tool at those shows and was impressed. I like the idea but remain very comfortable with my slow speed and Wolverine. I would love to pick up the Jool Tool for carving chisels and see that it would have uses for my turning tools too.

My opinion is you that the Jool Tool would be an outstanding second grinder but you still need a regular grinder for heavy shaping.

I will own one after I get, vacuum chucking set-up, better dust collection, a second chuck, ... its on the list I just don't know where.

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

I have not used it but find it very interesting.
    I already had my grinder sharpening setup so never really considered it since I am happy with my sharpening.
    The only draw back I see is as people mentioned I do not think you could change the grind on a tool with a Jool, so you would pretty much need a grinder and the Jool.
    Mike Vickery

And the $$$ is pretty hefty....
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Vickery View Post
    I have not used it but find it very interesting.
    I already had my grinder sharpening setup so never really considered it since I am happy with my sharpening.
    The only draw back I see is as people mentioned I do not think you could change the grind on a tool with a Jool, so you would pretty much need a grinder and the Jool.
    Mike, with an 80-grit disc, it will remove material quite quickly (and with less heat build-up), but of course, you don't have the accuracy of the Wolverine jig - it's all freehand grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by jim price View Post
    Anyways, I used to think the JoolTool was an overpriced gimmick and that Annie was just a top-heavy model hired to demo the gizmo.. till i had a chance to use it. Turns out its a very serious sharpening system and Annie is one of the co-inventor's of the thing. Talk about your pre-conceived notions. So i felt a little small after that.. but back to the tool....
    I greatly admire her entreprenureal spirit and how far she has networked into the woodworking field. It took a lot of courage for her to venture into this business (more than I have). Though she does use her mojo to her advantage (looks, personality, a well thought out pitch). She started pitching the JoolTool to me after another turner's demo, and was really giving me a much more targeted pitch from what she was saying at her booth. That's not a bad thing in my book, it's good sales strategy. It just requires focus to keep from buying one if you don't really want one.

I'd recommend it to anyone but serious chisel sharpeners (it won't do the flat of a large chisel or for that matter, any flat imho) or knife sharpeners.... can't manage to do a knife without catching the wheel.

I was doing a search about some information on the Jool Tool and came upon their web site , they have quite a few video's about sharping flats .
    http://www.jooltool.com/media.htm

I was doing a search about some information on the Jool Tool and came upon their web site , they have quite a few video's about sharping flats .
    http://www.jooltool.com/media.htm

Btw after almost a year with the Jool how do you like it and whats your thoughts on it ? The abrasive pads seem expensive how do they hold up ?