Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 12" j/p Hammer vs Minimax

I'm another w/ the Hammer A3 31. Used it extensively for the last 15 months and I like it alot. Have not used (or seem) the MM.

No snipe at all on the Hammer, I have one extension I keep on the planer--but can move it to the jointer. Length of tables have not been a problem--and I've done up to 80" 8/4 stiles for an entry door.

Wonderful to have a 12" jointer! Whatever brand you buy--you'll like the versitility of a wide jointer. I now wish I had gotten the 16"--for the few times I would need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Welborn View Post
    As a followup to my previous post, my faith has been restored in the Felder organization by a follow-up call from a Sales Manager. I explained my concerns and he very cordially assured me the price of the machines on special were in their computer system, and even if I had not known about the sale, I would have automatically gotten the new price. So, depending on shipping cost, it looks like a new A3 31 machine may be headed toward NC very soon.

Now, if I can get shipping quotes for the Agazzani, Meber and maybe the MM bandsaws...
    Hi Stan, Glad that got worked out. From experience I can tell you that some of the stuff that goes into the computer comes from Austria directly and that can muddy the waters for the sales folks. It can work the opposite way when the special on a particular machine gets taken off the list and the sales guy quotes the sale price but when he tries to print up the quote/invoice the regular price comes up.
    If you are looking at the Agazzani (I have the Rapide 600 (24") model. Great machines. Adwood in NC is an Agazzani dealer so shipping should be low. Not sure of the model you are looking at. Adwood might not carry anything smaller than the 20 or 24" machines.
    Take a look at that Hammer N4300 bandsaw. They don't really advertise it, but it's a real good bandsaw made by ACM in Italy. I think the price is in the $1700 range. They'll probably deal with a two machine order and the shipping should be lower.
    take care,
    John

Thanks for the info John. I've done a ton of research on bandsaws in the last few weeks and have my choice narrowed down to the MM16 and the Agazzani b20. I looked at the Hammer too, and to tell you the truth I can't remember why I eliminated their machine, but did.

I had no idea there was a dealer in NC for Agazzini machines. Thank's a load for telling me. I'll drop Adwood a line tomorrow to get a price on a B-20. Heck I can go pick the sucker up. I'm only a little over an hour away.

Well, it's done. Ordered the A3 31 today. Should ship next week sometime. Now I REALLY gotta get on tha ClearVue install.

the exact same thing happened to me with the Minimax. I saw it was 'on sale' for about 3999 and the guy told me the 45xx price as if I wasn't looking at the website... That led me to the Hammer. However, what I'd really like to do is see at least these two side by side in person, and play with them before buying. Something not so easy (impossible?) to do...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Camillo View Post
    the exact same thing happened to me with the Minimax. I saw it was 'on sale' for about 3999 and the guy told me the 45xx price as if I wasn't looking at the website... That led me to the Hammer. However, what I'd really like to do is see at least these two side by side in person, and play with them before buying. Something not so easy (impossible?) to do...
    FWW magazine did just that earlier this year. MM came out on top and the Hammer was best value.

It really doesn't matter much, they are both good machines and assuming you have flat surfaces all else is moot.

joe

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Camillo View Post
    If you'd publish where you live, you might be able to find somebody in this forum who has one or the other, and would let you play with it. You wouldn't get both machines in one shop, but you might well find both machines within a couple weekends of each other.

I went through the decision process recently myself and I am awaiting delivery for the Hammer A331 -- should be here around Thanksgiving (hopefully). I think that this machine has a lot of value for the money and it has some very nice options available like the digital handwheel and the option to add extensions to the jointer and planer if you need it. This is an upgrade for me from a Jet 6 inch which I will be posting for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

I think that it is great to see the combination machines starting to take off and I like the fact that there are more choices out there -- Jet, Grizzly, MM to name a few. Good stuff.

Scot

One thing to consider...when the machine is delivered, it's well packaged, 3/4" or so cardboard outer container with several layers of plastic wrap on the machine.

Opening the box and unwrapping the plastic revealed that the machine was bolted to (iirc) 6" C-channel, in turn bolted to the pallet. So the machine is approx 10" off the floor. After scratching my head for a while, I borrowed a neighbors engine hoist and picked it off the pallet with nylon straps. You might want to plan for that!!

8^)

I have a Hammer A3 and appreciate the quality. Only negative is the fence. It is supported at the front of the infeed table and I dont like how easy it flexes. I put a mag switch at the outfeed end, and that solved it for me. The 16" model is better given is support location.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post
    I have a Hammer A3 and appreciate the quality. Only negative is the fence. It is supported at the front of the infeed table and I dont like how easy it flexes. I put a mag switch at the outfeed end, and that solved it for me. The 16" model is better given is support location.
    Thanks for the tip on the mag switch. Mine hasn't arrived yet but that sounds like a simple solution if I have the same thoughts.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the packaging tip...I will have to figure a way to get this off the pallet and your solution seems like a good one.

Brian/Brad,

What have you done for mobility? The kit that Felder sells seems pretty pricey -- I was thinking of going with Zambus casters (also not cheap) or some other option. I would be interested to hear what you have done for mobility.

Brad,

Any chance of posting a picture of the fence set-up you reference? I have heard about the flexibility and that it does not impact squareness of cut (which would make sense since it is a lateral force).

Thanks,

Scot

13. Interesting how many Hammer owners there are. Judging from the MM ownership posts I usually see I would have thought myself a maverick for buying a Hammer.

[quote=Brian MacDonald;684343]One thing to consider...when the machine is delivered, it's well packaged, 3/4" or so cardboard outer container with several layers of plastic wrap on the machine.

Opening the box and unwrapping the plastic revealed that the machine was bolted to (iirc) 6" C-channel, in turn bolted to the pallet. So the machine is approx 10" off the floor. After scratching my head for a while, I borrowed a neighbors engine hoist and picked it off the pallet with nylon straps. You might want to plan for that!!

8^)[/quote

My container was enormous, I cant believe the trailer I borrowed held the weight and didn't break.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Holy king crate Batman! What machine is in there?