Thread: Stone finish Signabond or other material?

Stone finish Signabond or other material?

I was on a jobsite doing an install and the customer pointed at their sign by the street. Big sign, all stone with gold lettering. A couple of variations of colored stone. Really nice looking sign about 12" off the ground.

He looks at the sign and says "There's your next job, raise that sign up 18". I laughed. He was serious. I said "That thing must weigh a ton". He said "nope, it's fake, go look at it".

I've driven by that sign 100's of times and every single time, I thought it was stone. I walked up to it and looked under the bottom and it's an aluminum frame with aluminum clad plastic (one brand name is Signabond), and it's got a killer realistic stone look to it. Entire thing probably weighed 250 pounds.

He then said "Can you do signs like that, we can't find anyone who can do them?"

So, anyone seen this product with stone finishes before? I will say that the price he told me they paid was into 5 digits (which makes me stop what I'm doing and look into it ).
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Scott,

Check out Texture Plus, they have an extraordinary line of realistic foam based sheet materials including a huge assortment of stone and brick. Aaron just got their sample set, they even have bamboo and asphalt

www.textureplus.com

This was the material that ShopBot passed around at the Ed Lang's Camp in September.

Thanks Keith, I recall that material. Very cool stuff. I thought he said it was for interior only?

Here's a link to a product that looks exactly like what I'm looking for, but it's the Chinese origin of it. Not sure who distributes it.

http://yadali.en.alibaba.com/product...el_AE_113.html
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

There are a couple of options. First is a high quality faux finish job. I have a wholesale customer that's great at this, creating a stone, marble, or even rust look on that dibond type material.

The other thing that was available is specialty films. Just the same as the sign vinyl we cut on the plotter but made to look like something else, including stone. I have used the Mica Grey and Green Granite by Sparcal or Avery. Whether they still make it, I don't know. Some distributors you could check with are Beacon Graphics - 800 762-9205 andAdvantage Sign Supply 800-975-9441.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Scott,

I have their business brosure, Texture Plus is;

Perfect for indoor or outdoor use
    Impervious to moisture
    Works in all climates
    Impervious to insect attack
    UV protected
    High density polymer
    Outlasts wood products

Thanks Joe and Keith. I'm looking for exactly what's in the link I posted. It would have to match the other signs in that office park. No room for creativity on this one.

I'll have to order up a sample pack from those people though. I do recall how incredible the stuff looked. How much was the sample pack and how many samples are in it?

Scott,

You can order a free sample pack or pay $50.00 for a larger set which is well worth the money if you think you will be using their material in the future. Aaron received a box of 65 samples that was probably 24" square and 15" deep. Each piece was approximatly 8" square I think, some were larger. The free samples are 6" by 7" and the deluxe showroom sample pack is $189.00.

Every sample piece looked absolutely real...very cool stuff.

Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-09-2007 at 6:58 PM.

I'm still tracking this down, but found one brand name that appears to be the close to what I'm looking for. It's called AlumaPlastic. Anyone ever seen it? Googling it comes up fairly empty except a couple of sign companies who use it.

Here's a photo of the color chart listed on one of those sites that shows the product, so I know it's out there!
    Attached Images Attached Images