Thread: Using Epoxy in the house?

Using Epoxy in the house?

I've got some help coming over tonight to get epoxy spread on a big glue-up. Unfortunately it's projected to drop in temperature here (40's-50's) below the min. cure temp for the slow hardener (60 deg.) It's been record hot temps lately so I've been able to get other parts epoxied with no problems. Using the fast hardener for a lower min temp isn't really an option as there wont be enough open time.
    So I'm thinking of putting drop cloths down in the family room, and moving this inside tonight. I'm using West epoxy and while it's not exactly Summer Breeze air freshener scent, I haven't found it overpowering. I checked West's site to make sure this wouldn't be a problem with the gas fireplace unit that heats the room.
    WEST SYSTEM epoxy resin and hardeners are classified non-flammable, because their flash points are greater than 200°F and they evaporate slowly. Furnaces, wood stoves, and other heat sources do not pose a serious fire hazard in the presence of epoxy vapors.
    I can shut that room off from the rest of the house and open all the windows after a few days. I'm not sure I've got any other options, but anybody done something like this inside? Any problem getting epoxy smell out after a good airing?
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Any problem getting epoxy smell out after a good airing?
    No problem whatsoever. Smell should be gone in a day or no more than two. And it doesn't even smell that bad.

I have used epoxy in my basement workshop and have never noticed any residual smell after the epoxy cures.

Curious as to what your using expoxy for as a glue up?

Need to do my workbench top 2 layers like the bottom portion already done. There's pics on this thread.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost...2&postcount=12
    Use the fence Luke

I've never had problems doing epoxy glue ups in the basement, and I have a woodstove in the basement. You should be fine.

Thanks for reminding me to bring all my adhesive/finish stuff in from the garage though.
    It's been really warm here, but that will change soon.

A long time ago when I worked in a marina we did a lot of epoxy work on boats in the middle of winter in a none heated shop.

We would use heat lights and shine them on the area that we were going to repair for about an hour before we started the repair and then left them on for about an hour after the repair, had no problems at all.

So if you shine some spot lights or heat lights on the bench before you start and then just keep them on for an hour or so after the glue up you should be just fine.

My brother and I are building a pair of kayaks, that use quite a number of epoxy coats.
    However, 10 min into the first coating, in a garage, I started getting a headache. I quickly went to a respirator and we both use them anytime we're applying epoxy.
    This stuff is also low-odor but keep some fresh air flowing.
    Also, temp is critical, which is why you're moving the project, keep the epoxy in a warm place.
    Using lamps is a good idea, warm first. It's ok to let it cool later as it will bubble if warmed later. Maybe not an issue on glue up, but a problem on surface coats.

Mission accomplished. It was still warm last night as the clamps were being tightened but it's 47 degrees this morning. The glue-up spent the night indoors with the thermostat set at a comfy 65. No smell at all that I can notice so I dont think I'll bother popping the windows although I did keep them open during the glue-up.
    Use the fence Luke