Thread: Acrylic, Vinyl Lettering, Backpainted

Acrylic, Vinyl Lettering, Backpainted

This is not exactly an exciting sign, but it's a little different method so I thought I'd share.

One of the more upscale parking garages prefers this type of sign for a classier look than just vinyl lettering on the surface. The added advantage is no one can pick at the letters.

It's clear 1/8" acrylic. The vinyl lettering/arrow are cut in reverse and applied to the back. Then I spray it with the background color. After the paint is dry, I sheet the back with scraps of vinyl to protect the paint in the mounting process.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Nice looking work Joe. How the heck do you do all this reverse lettering? Every time I try, you can see the adhesive on the front, visible surface.

How are you preventing that?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I squeegie extra hard, then keep it in a warm place for a while, and squeezie again before removing the transfer tape. The same thing happens when you apply to the inside of windows on a storefront. In cold weather I bring along a hair dryer to warm them after application.

On these acrylic signs the worst thing is that if a hair or fuzz gets on it before you paint, it will show so you have to be careful.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

Help me Obie-Wan-KaJoe-Be

Here's some chrome I just tried in reverse. I squeegeed the crap out of it, heated it with a heat gun 3 times and did it again, as hard as I could with the hardest plastic squeegee I had. I still get this same result.

Any suggestions? Perhaps throw this brand out and try another brand?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (60.1 KB, 36 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (106.5 KB, 34 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (88.2 KB, 32 views)
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Help me Obie-Wan-KaJoe-Be

Here's some chrome I just tried in reverse. I squeegeed the crap out of it, heated it with a heat gun 3 times and did it again, as hard as I could with the hardest plastic squeegee I had. I still get this same result.

Any suggestions? Perhaps throw this brand out and try another brand?
    Yes. The Chrome gold and silver by Arlon that I use always comes out beautifully.

Sammamish, WA

Try a felt squeegee, and lighten up on the vinyl, maybe?

We always have good luck when we take our time, have a clean dry surface, use the hinge method, and gently squeegee. The thick felt squeegees from I can't remember where, are very good for this job. This method worked on approx. 9 year old chrome gold unknown origin vinyl, cut-twice on the plotter. It wrinkled/bubbled while I was cutting it, too. No picture, sorry, i was amazed tho'. Thank goodness they were 5/8 letters. Any smaller might have been a bigger issue for my old plotter.
    Sometimes force isn't the answer.? If I hurry, I always screw-up vinyl.
    I can't take credit for the actual application, my right-hand artist guy did it. And he never hurries
    good luck