Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Restroom Sign for a Barn

Kevin,

I can't ship the Corian pieces until Monday. All has stopped here at home as we are reworking the bathroom in the house, trying to work and keep it functioning is time consuming. Jackie and I gutted the BR, installed new flooring and ripped out some sheet rock so I can replace most of the supply piping and rerouted the sink drain in the floor. I hope to have the new sink installed this evening.

Most of the Corian work I do is laser engraved. When I use the laser I cover the plaque with engravers paper mask, then spray paint. I don't use a mask for door signs because the procedure has more steps so I tape the edges before I paint then sand the face with a ROS.

Large signs that are v-carved on the ShopBot in Corian I wouldn't bother with a mask, just paint and sand the surface. Wood is a different animal and masking is almost a necessity before machining. Corian doesn't have a finish that needs to be protected and it can be sanded so easilly after painting which is one of its strong points. I have found that less labor is involved using Corian which offsets the cost of material and makes the job go much faster.

Keith -

Makes sense. Just making sure I have the process down. Thanks again for all your help. Good luck with the remodel. I'm actually hangind sheetrock in the garage this weekend. What fun!

Kevin

Keith; Your barn signs are impressive and have revived a similar "in the back of mind " project. 2 questions please,- Is the barn sign 2-sided due
    to the finish quality of the raw material or _____?. What should I expect
    to pay for Corian sheet ? In counter-top size, I've been quoted $35/sq ft.
    A, say 24"x 30" fairway sign, then front & back would cost $350 for the
    material alone. Sounds a little pricey, but is it ?--OK, thats 3 questions
    Thanx----LeeB, Benton AR

Leland,

I pay $283.00 for a 30" by 144" sheet of Glacier White Corian from my local Distributor or about six cents per square inch. Your 24" by 30" sign would cost about $43.00 for the material, double that if you use two pieces. The cost of Corian as a sign material is actually very reasonable considering the quality of the material and that you don't have the expense of spray finishing or have to purchase a backing substrate. Labor costs are less for me as it is so easy to route or engrave, spray paint and sand, most of the time without masking.

My restroom sign is double sided or two pieces glued back to back. I did this to make the sign look thicker since it hangs perpendicular to the wall. I have made plenty of Corian signs that were engraved or routed on both sides of a single piece of 1/2" thick material it just depends on the edge prep I want to use and the design of the sign.

Some people pay $300.00 for a sheet of sign foam.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Mike,

I am posting these in hopes of enticing some of our other Members to start making signs themselves. Other than the wrought iron hangers Corian signs can be made with existing shop tools like a hand held router a few wooden patterns and of course a laser engraver for the detail work. You don't have to own a ShopBot it just makes things easier and a bit faster if you are doing volume production runs.

It took less time to setup and engrave this sign than I would have spent engraving a large photo on black marble and the profit difference is substantial...plus the amount of sign work available is infinite.

You can purchase wrought iron hangers from various companies on the net for those who cannot make their own however most of my signs have a simple keyhole routed on the back for hanging which anyone can do with a router or drill press.

These types of signs are made using a few very simple steps so there is actually very little talent required
    What increases the value is the choice of design and the quality of the materials.

OK, so you've enticed me. Now how do I get into learning how?
    PS. Now would be a good time because a store has approached me about perhaps making a sign for them.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Penning View Post
    OK, so you've enticed me. Now how do I get into learning how?
    PS. Now would be a good time because a store has approached me about perhaps making a sign for them.
    Thanks
    Brian,

What kind of equipment do you have to work with?

Just about everything that a regular woodworking shop has. TS, routers, planer, jointer, etc.
    Any opinion on Patrick Speilman.s "Making Wood Signs" book as a start?
    Thanks in advance

Brian,

I have the "Making Wood Signs" book, it is an excellent resource to get you going with lots of ideas and techniques.

I t would seem that you are missing one machine, something to do the actual engraving or routing of the sign information. You can certainly make plaques and take care of the rest of the necessary work but you will need a laser engraver, rotary engraver or CNC router to take care of the main task.

When I started making signs I made all my plaques by pattern routing them. I have also made many one-of-a-kind sign blanks with my band saw then sand the edges on my spindle sander or edge sander before laser engraving them.

For sign work I wouldn't trade my CNC router for a dozen laser engravers.

Very nicely done Keith, I share your enthusiasm towards makeing signs. I have made a couple from wood useing a scroll saw, but haven't tried Corian yet or tried sandblasting wood signs, but I'd like to learn someday.