Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with cutoffs, etc

I have a box on wheels that I built for cutoffs. Its 3'x2'x2' w/a hinged lid. If it doesnt fit in the box it goes on the lumber rack. If it does fit in the box it stays there till I use it or the box becomes full. When the box is full I give the scraps to a disabled vet who lives near me and he burns it for his heat in the winter.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Post Send them of to the vortex machine ~

As someone stated earlier - you can glue them together and do a segmented turning-
    Brian

I toss 'em......or at least try to make myself toss them. They pile up and get in the way. Well, I sez, I can use that. By the time I need "that" one of several things happens. The wood has aged and discolored enough or is different enough to start with that it can't be used, I can't find it, or I forget I have it and cut another piece, or the cutoff I find is a half inch too short or a quarter inch too narrow. Etc, etc.

I have a friend who got a brilliant idea to buy some large plastic tubs at Wal-Mart and organize by size or species so he'd know what was where. He did that three or four years ago and the tubs are taking up shop space and haven't been opened yet (his admission).

I try to use up even the smallest bits by taking the time every now and then to have a drillpress/bandsaw session and make tapered plugs for screw holes out of as many different species as I have on hand. I end up with a ready made stock of plugs and the sad little bits that are left find their way into the woodstove.

J.R.

Quote Originally Posted by John Buzzurro View Post
    I like to do these:

John,

Those are a great idea! Can I ask where you get your clock insets?

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Gibson View Post
    Being basically cheap I mean frugal I'll use the real small cut offs for earings like these. The grand daughters love them.
    How do you get those things so smooth without sanding your fingernails off?

Blog Entries

Small cutoff solution

I make sets of blocks. You can use Maple, cherry and walnut. Oak tends to splinter. You can also use scraps to make toys:

My grandkids all love them. If you really want to drive someone crazy make whistles for the kids. Kids love em, parents hate em.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

How do you get those things so smooth without sanding your fingernails off?
    Belt sander with 220 grit, hot melt glue and a piece of dowel. The glue comes off pretty easily using my knife like a scraper, then a small touchup with some 220 grit by hand where the glue was. I hang a bunch of them on a wire and then a spray can of lacquer works great.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Blog Entries
    Now we all know that the minute you toss it, you're gonna need it.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    My tiny timbers get used for scroll saw projects. What ever is left after that goes to my freinds house for feeding his wood stove.

My grandkids all love them. If you really want to drive someone crazy make whistles for the kids. Kids love em, parents hate em.
    I could really use some whistle plans. I'll just tell my son it's payback time.

Be nice to your kids they get to choose your retirement home
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Get yourself a good size plastic tub or trash can, 35-45 gallon preferably.
    Place it near where you do all your cutting and toss your cutoffs in it. Later, when you need to build a small jig, need pads for your clamps or need to make a miriad of small parts for projects, the cutoff can should yield just what you need. Once a year I clean out my can but I rarely throw any of it away. Here in Texas it rarely gets cold enough for a woodstove so I don't burn it. Shame to have to burn good, expensive wood.

I keep what I think are usuable scraps, wood and ply, on several different shelves in different areas.

But after a while, those shelves overflow.
    So I will stop once in a while and sort them again.
    Those pieces go into plastic 55 gallon barrels, along with my already pitched cutoffs from the scms, radial arm saw, etc.
    Winter time, I bring them in and use them to start my woodstove with.

There is no one around that I know of that I can give them too.
    This area is real sparse on woodworkers.

Very nice, Rick!
    Jack Briggs
    Briggs Guitars

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Beck View Post
    John,

Those are a great idea! Can I ask where you get your clock insets?

Keith
    Keith, I bought them from Klockit.