Thread: Jet Mini VS

Question Jet Mini VS

Other than pens, what else is this lathe capable of? I'm interested in learning how to make bowls, would this lathe be a good starter? Thanks!

Anton,

This lathe would be fine for bowls as a starter lathe. One of our other members, Mark Kauder turns some very nice segmented bowls on his Jet Mini, and has been doing so for several years. I turned my first bowl on Ken Salisbury's Jet Mini, but ended up buying a Jet 1236 (around $420).

It's not the lathe that is the expensive part...it's the chucks, tools, sharpeners, jigs, etc.....
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl
    Anton,

This lathe would be fine for bowls as a starter lathe. One of our other members, Mark Kauder turns some very nice segmented bowls on his Jet Mini, and has been doing so for several years. I turned my first bowl on Ken Salisbury's Jet Mini, but ended up buying a Jet 1236 (around $420).

It's not the lathe that is the expensive part...it's the chucks, tools, sharpeners, jigs, etc.....
    Much to my wifes dismay, all my hobbies are 'spensive!
    I'm looking at either the 1236 or the VS mini. I was looking for the HF version of the 1236 but the store closest to me didn't have one

buying the mini would leave a few bucks for accessories but on the other hand I have the room for a 1236 size lathe. Hmmm decisions, decisions.

The Jet Mini's are great machines. You wont be making any huge salad bowls or anything, but you can make some great ones. The beauty of the mini it that its not a throw away machine. If/When you upgrade you will want to keep the mini b/c of its portability and ease of use for small things.

IMHO you can't go wrong with it.

Noah
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

FWIW. I had the 1236, sold it, and bought the Jet mini. I was going to get the mini in the first place but got talked into the bigger lathe. You can do more on the bigger lathe, but I only did small stuff anyway so the mini worked out better for me. They didn't have the vs when I bought mine but I wish they did because I have to change the belts to change speeds--a minor annoyance. Both lathes work quite well, Imho. Jason is right, you will spend a lot of bucks on accessories and tools but you don't have to get them all at once either. Don't get an HF lathe just to have more $ for chisels, etc.. fwiw

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Alkinburgh
    The Jet Mini's are great machines. You wont be making any huge salad bowls or anything, but you can make some great ones. The beauty of the mini it that its not a throw away machine. If/When you upgrade you will want to keep the mini b/c of its portability and ease of use for small things.

IMHO you can't go wrong with it.

Noah
    Hey Noah, it was a pleasure meeting you at Harbor Freight the other day. I got ahold of bill G, hope to take some classes soon

Which Jet mini?

I see that Jet makes two Mini's, one VS. I understand that on the older one you have to change pulleys. Is it worth it to go for the newer model? And on that note there was a discussion here http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...fpart=all&vc=1 that said that either version required a pulley change. If thats the case, one is 199 the other 299, it's better to get the lower priced one?

Thanks for your input and patience!!

Anton,

I thought that was you but I am sooooo bad with names

I don't think you can go wrong with either. Obviously you can't beat the price on the belt changing one...and there is a very nice way to turn the non VS into one if you like to tinker. But having met you I will say that the area where you have to change the belts in not a very big area, no problem with my tiny hands, might be more of a problem for you. Just something to consider.

Noah

Quote Originally Posted by Anton Smolka
    I see that Jet makes two Mini's, one VS. I understand that on the older one you have to change pulleys. Is it worth it to go for the newer model? And on that note there was a discussion here http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...fpart=all&vc=1 that said that either version required a pulley change. If thats the case, one is 199 the other 299, it's better to get the lower priced one?

Thanks for your input and patience!!
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hi Anton,

In my opinion, and I own both lathes, the 1236 is a low-end full size lathe, and the Jet Mini is a high-end mini. The mini is a really nice little lath, much better built overall than the 1236. The mini only has two inches less swing than the 1236, and with a bed extension you can turn items just as long. If you get the mini, then eventually move up to a bigger lathe, you will most likely keep the mini. I highly recommend the Jet mini - it is a keeper!

Scott.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    All I can say is my Jey Mini has paid for itself many, many, many times over . If a tornado were to take the shop tomorrow - another Jet Mini would be the first tool ordered.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Belt Changes.

Anton,
    You are correct that both the Jet mini standard and VS allow for belt changes. Realistically, though, the belt changes on the VS should be minimal and probably only required when you change projects, if ever. For example the "high" speed on the VS is great for pens and small stuff like that. On the "high-speed" pulley, all it means is that you have higher RPM and less torque. You don't need much "torque" at 3900 RPM for a 5/8" blank. The VS allows you to twist a dial and turn down the speed for finishing, waxing, etc.. On the other hand, if you want to turn bowls, you may wish to change pulleys and go with a slower RPM which will give you more torque. Again, you can change speed by simply turning a dial. I don't have a lot of experience yet with my Jet mini VS. On the other hand, I don't anticipate having to make a belt change on any given project.

The fact is, my PM 3520, which has electronic variable speed, also allows for belt changes. "High" and "Low". After five years, I have yet to change pulleys. I have turned 3"x20" Oak blanks for ships wheel clocks on the "high" speed setting. I don't know what the "low" speed setting is for except maybe to turn some 60" bowls or platters with the tailstock removed and the headstock moved to the far right end of the lathe. For one thing, I can't AFFORD that much wood!!

My suggestion: Whether it is a mini or a full size lathe, get the VS and get as much lathe as you can afford! If you really get into turning, you will always want to upgrade. Therefore, a "cheap" lathe will be a waste of time, money and progress. Forget about chucks, grinders, jigs, chisels, etc., Your biggest cost at that point will be the bills from your psychiatrist!!

Just a thought from a dinosaur who hasn't passed a psychiatric exam in the last ten years.

Good luck with your decision and happy turning!!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!