Thread: Tool Rest Woes

Tool Rest Woes

Folks,

I'm not really happy with the tool rest that came with my Jet Mini lathe. It's not square so one side is higher than the other. It makes it hard to get the height of the tool relative to center consistent.

I ordered and did not like the modular system woodcraft sells because the rest is so tall (2") that I can't use an underhand grip easily.

So my questions are:

1) Does anyone use the round bar modular system like you can get at craft supplies or packards? I hear some complain that the tool is too far from the wood because the top of the round bar can never be really close and some like it because the tool glides so easily.

2) (This one seems like a long shot, but I'll ask). Does anyone have experience with the 12" tool rest that Fisch makes for their mini lathe? Supposedly it will fit a Jet Mini. You can see that product at Woodzone.com

3) Any ideas how to make one without welding?

I'm sure many folks can get one welded up to their specifications, but my local welder wanted $75, which is more than the modular system. Of course, we does work for a local factory and has to shut down his work for them to do a one off type thing and so he has to charge for it. I'm looking for a good solution.

Thanks for any help.

--Dave

Dave,

I think the OEM Jet mini tool rest is casted iron. You should not have problem getting a replacement for your defective tool rest.

If you turn tiny stuff with small scale tools, the round bar do have the disadvantage as you said. I personally think the Jet tool rest is adequate on small turning.

I have a Oneway 6" tool rest (with 1" post) for my other lathe. The shape is very comfortable for hooking the finger under. I really like it. The price is very reasonable (around $40).

I have no experience with the 12" tool rest that you are interested. But I am afraid with a 5/8" post, the long rest ends may not be as sturdy as you would like.

Gordon

I bought some different length round stock tool rest bars at Woodcraft that fit the post you have for the modular system.

Seems like 12 inch is too long for a mini. How could you turn pens and such? Tool would be to far from piece in order to clear the mandrel and tailstock. Yours must be defective. I would call Jet. Also I got that "S" shaped rest and it is GREAT for bowls.
    Last edited by Rich Stewart; 09-30-2007 at 4:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Stewart View Post
    Yours must be defective. I would call Jet.
    I agree; even if you've had it for a while. A toolrest that isn't parallel to the bed is practically useless. For shorter work, either get a shorter rest, or an extra 12-inch and cut a few inches off each end. A cutoff wheel in a right angle grinder is easier than a hack saw.

Joe

Dave I went down to my local welder and had him make some for my Rikon. I had him make me a 4", 6", 9" and a curved one for bowls out of 3/4" round steel bar. He charged me $10 a piece for them. Made of round bar just welded in the center. They work pretty slick for small stuff and you can get your hands around them when doing delicate work like finials. Just a thought.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Dave,
    Lots' of good ideas here:
    Jet is real good about making things right and it's easy to cut steel with an angle grinder and a metal cutoff wheel for those you already have.

As for myself, I do not much car for the Jet rest because I think it's too soft. I've cleaned it up many times with a file, but it gets new nicks very easily. I also wanted a longer rest and made a couple myself out of 5/8" steel rod. I cut filed and ground a saddle on the upright about three inches long with a 10" cross piece for the rest. I silver soldered it with MAPP gas and a propane torch. It lasted about 15 minutes and chattered apart when I was working at the end of the rest. I cleaned it up and took it to a truck stop that welded it with an arc welder for $5. Since then I got an inverter arc welder for $120 and learned to do it myself. I made a right angle 6" x 6" which I bent with the MAPP torch, and will probably make some more soon of different lengths and shapes. I find them great to use compared to the stock rest because they are harder and smoother. I did not gusset (which probably would't hurt) them in the corners and have had no problems yet with chatter or vibration.
    Easy route:
    Penn State Ind. has some 5/8" rests cheap. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/toolrests.html

HI

If you are talking about the Sorby system I use it all the time on my mini and have no problems with the round bar.

I have all 3 sizes of straight bar, the box rest and a curved rest, to make it easier I brought a tool post for each off them and would have no problems in recomending the system.

john

Thanks, for this info, John. The system I was referring to is very similar to the Sorby system, but made by someone else. I'm glad to hear it works well for you. Do you use an underhand grip with it much? If so, does it work well with that grip?

Regards,

--Dave

I have the Sorby modular system, with both round bars and box rest. I like the system a lot. The cast iron rest that came with my Delta midi just got dinged much too easily. True, I could file it straight pretty easily, but who wants to do that every time or two that you want to turn?!
    I think all rests of whatever shape should be hardened, or have a hardened rod welded to the top.
    I got a 1" shaft when I got my General lathe and now use all the Sorby rests on it too.

I bought the 3 or 4 piece set from psi last year and found them to be excellent. Three sizes of straight and one curved for bowls. Less than $30 if I remember correctly and a good accessory too. Post was 5/8 to fit jet/delta ect.
    Bill

I bought the Sorby set up for my Jet Mini. Worked fine. Now to use it and all the attachments, I only have to buy a $10 post and they'll work on my new PM3520B.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave C. Brown View Post
    Thanks, for this info, John. The system I was referring to is very similar to the Sorby system, but made by someone else. I'm glad to hear it works well for you. Do you use an underhand grip with it much? If so, does it work well with that grip?

Regards,

--Dave

HI

i have used an underhand grip a couple of times and had no problem with it.

john

Hey Dave,

I agree with the comment that Jet is usually pretty good about making things right. Call 'em and tell 'em your story. They'll send you a new one. Might have gotten bent in shipping.

On the Woodcraft round modular system, did you get the right stem?? Or is the actual rest just too fat for you? Just curious.

In the local turning circles here in KC, we have a number of guys who do just enough welding that they could take on this sort of project easily. Buy a six pack or a pound of nice coffee and they'll make you up a couple. Once you have things set to weld rod to right angles, I'm told it's easy to do more. Buddy of mine did one for me to replace the rest on a Delta mini (yeah, they call it midi, but it's still a mini to me ). He did me two of 'em, one that was offset left to right, one that was a symmetrical tee. Work great. No clunk shape to get in the way of an underhand grip.

And that PSI set sounds really intriguing, eh? Half what your local guy was going to have to charge you... Do you have a sympathetic auto mechanic?? Just a thought.
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO

Thanks for all the suggestions. Because so many folks seem to like the round bar rests, I ordered a set. I probably should have gotten the ones from PSI, but I chose the more expensive ones from Craft Supplies USA. I told myself it was because they were modular so I could spend even more money later. Not sure what I was thinking.

Anyway, I live in a very small town and while there are probably people who could do some welding, they don't have yellow pages ad, which is how I tend to meet businesses.

Regarding the question on the woodcraft rest. I wanted to make it clear so anyone else reading this knows what issue I had with the woodcraft rest. The Rest (before screwing it into the post) is 2 inches tall and 1 inch wide (at the base). It's L shaped and I found it basically impossible to curl my finger under the rest and put my thumb on top to guide the tool. Plus when I lowered the rest all the way (on a Jet mini, remember) it was only a bit below center. For some cuts, I like the rest farther below center.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and interest. I can never tell what will interest folks. No one was much interested in Skew Chisel Geometry (But I am!).

--Dave