Thread: How to change Unisaw drive belts?

How to change Unisaw drive belts?

I bought some new drive belts, set of 3,for my saw I removed the old ones by just cutting them. To install new belts it looks like I have to remove part of the arbor. How does that piece come apart?
    Last edited by Chuck Wintle; 09-25-2007 at 12:56 PM.

It has been a while since I changed mine but if I remember correctly the motor mount has a bolt that you can loosen and install the belts. Then just tighten the belts and retighten the bolt.

Barry,
    There is a top part that needs to come apart to get the belts on. Just wondering the best way to do that.

You don't take that apart, you just lower the arbor and tilt it over so the belts fit in under the trunnion.

Ditto that. Just lower the arbor and loosen the nut holding the motor in position. You may have to wiggle the motor up and apwn a little to get the belt on but you definitely do not need to remove the top. I just did that several times recently to check on the sound coming from my motor.

Easy, use link belts

I know that idea is controversial but I've been running link belts on a G1023 for years. The tension between them seems very even. I suspect that as long as they're close, the short one(s) stretch until they're all the same length. I've also seen posts by people who seem more knowledgeable than me that say You don't need matched sets anymore. If I didn't have link belts, I'd look for 3 AX(cogged) belts the right length.

HTH

Curt

I have a Jet cabinet saw, and I have ran the Link Belts for over ten years, with no problems. The saw use to shudder when shutting down, no matter what I tried, until I installed the link belts. Now there is just the smallest hint of a shudder. I am very pleased with them.
    Last edited by Eddie Darby; 09-27-2007 at 10:26 AM.

I pulled the stock belts off of my Unisaw and just use one replacement VX belt. Runs a lot smoother. The VX belts have more torque capability and less vibration than V belts.

To change belts:

Raise arbor, loosen bolt on motor mount that allows it to pivot, put scrap wood under motor, lower arbor so motor rests on block of wood and pivots upwards, slip old belts off, new belts on, raise arbor, remove block of wood, pull down lightly on motor to tension belts, tighten bolt.
    JR

Changing Unisaw 5hp belts - Help please!

Hi J.R., are you still tuning in here? Are you saying I can replace the THREE belts on my 5hp unisaw w/ only ONE "VX Belt"? I'm not familiar with that belt, and though I've adjusted them, I have never changed belts on my several belt-driven power tools yet. Please say more about your recommendation back in 2007 and any new thoughts. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    I pulled the stock belts off of my Unisaw and just use one replacement VX belt. Runs a lot smoother. The VX belts have more torque capability and less vibration than V belts.

To change belts:

Raise arbor, loosen bolt on motor mount that allows it to pivot, put scrap wood under motor, lower arbor so motor rests on block of wood and pivots upwards, slip old belts off, new belts on, raise arbor, remove block of wood, pull down lightly on motor to tension belts, tighten bolt.

I can't imagine there aren't several videos on YouTube about how to do that 17 years latter

Quote Originally Posted by marky young View Post
    Hi J.R., are you still tuning in here? Are you saying I can replace the THREE belts on my 5hp unisaw w/ only ONE "VX Belt"? I'm not familiar with that belt, and though I've adjusted them, I have never changed belts on my several belt-driven power tools yet. Please say more about your recommendation back in 2007 and any new thoughts. Thanks!

I would think so. My 14 hp sawmill runs on one VX belt. That's a pretty nasty environment; heat, lubricant, other nasty stuff and yet they typically last for over 100 hours of run time.

John

Vee belts are much improved in the last 90 years. One belt is fine for 3 hp maybe need two over 5hp.
    Bill D