Thread: Windows XP Install problems...

Windows XP Install problems...

OK, so I upgrade to XP and do a dirty install...what a nightmare.

The "clean" install would have been worse, as the last time my computer crashed, it took an expert 6 hours to find all the correct drivers.

Now, here are my problems...

I can't print anything off the internet.

I can print a document off line, just not off the internet. I have reloaded the HP psc2210 software several times, and tested the printer, but when I use the AOL "print" command, nothing happens.

Also, I uninstalled and reinstalled my Norton Systemworks 2003, and none of the antivirus stuff works. I didn't have a virus (that I knew of) prior to loading XP. I know I have 6 months left on this version before I need to buy 2004.

Any suggestions?

I am tempted to throw the whole thing in the trash and order a new computer--but that's what they want me to do, isn't it? Not to mention I would rather spend the money on tools!
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

You might try to find this site. Try searcing for a site i think called the Elder geek. Yeah i know odd name but there is lots of info in it that might help you get over the Xp problems. I have used it a few times. That should bring it up..Good luck

Dont know if I have it bookmarked at home buti will check later.
    Last edited by Rob Bourgeois; 02-02-2004 at 4:01 PM.

Can you print from a "normal" browser, rather than AOL's "extra special" version???
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Can you print from a "normal" browser, rather than AOL's "extra special" version???
    Don't know...can't get Explorer to come up either.

I have disconnected the hardware, uninstalled the software, then reinstalled everything. Still does not work.

HP tech support referred me to a web page that didn't help either.

Thanks for trying...
    Martin, Granbury, TX

Martin, why did you upgrade to XP in the first place? If it was because you were having problems, the unfortunate thing about a dirty install is that it often brings the baggage along with it. As for a clean XP install, it has the most extensive collection of built in drivers, both proprietary and generic. In the 30 or so systems I have installed XP on, I've yet to encounter a 6 hour search for drivers. Most work very well just with the generic drivers. There are times where I've had to d/l the proprietary drivers and install them, but a complete install with XP usually takes me about 2 hours. With explorer not working, I'd say you have a significant problem and would recommend a clean install.

Be well,

Doc

I am a little confused at to what constitutes a dirty install.
    I would try a clean install, hopefully the computer does not crash, get rid of AOL and go with another ISP, uninstall Norton and try Mcafee and a free firewall like Zonealarm. Just my 2 cents

And I forgot to say that you could partition the harddrive and store all the drivers you might need in it. That way for a clean install as you need the drivers you only need to look in the partition for them. Do you need a chip driver for a controller chip? Have that driver ready on a diskette to install when the OS asks for it.

OK, lets see:

A clean install of XP is NEVER worse than a dirty upgrade. As has been mentioned, the driver database is huge and really works. You didn't say what the old OS was, but if it was WinME, run, don't walk to your computer and do a clean install of XP. This is singularly the worst upgrade path their is. As soon as you can get to the internet, go to Windows Update and get ALL of the critical updates. Before you load much of anythng else. Load the newest printer driver for your printer from the HP site. They are starting to bring out new drivers for the newest OS, so they will be the newest.

Do a custom install of Norton and ONLY load the antivirus part of the program. The rest is not as good, and free versons of other programs will work better. Ad-Aware from Lavasoftusa and ZoneAlarm from zonelabs are good starters. Once you download these, check for updates before you start using them. The download verson of AdAware is not the newest. There is an update available fron Thursday of last week that has more filters.

Once done, open IE and print any of the local html files on your computer to see if it will do that. If it can, install AOhell, connect, minimize it and reopen IE and print something from the web. If that works (it should in virgin form), then try printing from within AOL using their print command. This will tell you where your problem exists if it still does.

When properly installed, you can beat the hell out of XP and it chugs right along. I work in the industry and hve been through hundreds of these with great results. Let us know what happens, and if you need any other help.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe
    OK, so I upgrade to XP and do a dirty install...what a nightmare.

The "clean" install would have been worse, as the last time my computer crashed, it took an expert 6 hours to find all the correct drivers.

Now, here are my problems...

I can't print anything off the internet.

I can print a document off line, just not off the internet. I have reloaded the HP psc2210 software several times, and tested the printer, but when I use the AOL "print" command, nothing happens.

Also, I uninstalled and reinstalled my Norton Systemworks 2003, and none of the antivirus stuff works. I didn't have a virus (that I knew of) prior to loading XP. I know I have 6 months left on this version before I need to buy 2004.

Any suggestions?

I am tempted to throw the whole thing in the trash and order a new computer--but that's what they want me to do, isn't it? Not to mention I would rather spend the money on tools!
    Chris 'Digger' Johnson
    "If you work hard enough and long enough to make something "idiot-proof", rest assured that someone will build a better idiot!"

Something that I don't understand, how do you partition the hard drive and how do you find drivers?

DK

If you are installing XP and your computer components are within the last five years or so, most if not all of the drivers will be included in XP. The rest can usually be found on the manufacturers site, or at sites like www.driverguide.com (login: drivers, PW: all)

Partitioning of the drives can be done in many ways, and at different times depending on how and why you want to do it. Fom fdisk on one end of the spectrum, to Partition Magic on the other

Quote Originally Posted by David Klug
    Something that I don't understand, how do you partition the hard drive and how do you find drivers?

DK
    Chris 'Digger' Johnson
    "If you work hard enough and long enough to make something "idiot-proof", rest assured that someone will build a better idiot!"

Thanks for all of the advice...I should have asked before the install!

Right now I have discovered the MS help desk. (Found the phone number buried in the manual.)

They suggested I reinstall XP as a "parallel" OS, which I did, and got back on AOL (was knocked off for a while.)

Windows ME was running properly, but I had heard that I should really upgrade to XP, so I figured I had better do it now, prior to trying to do my taxes with Turbotax.

With the parallel install, I am having to reinstall all of my programs, in other words, the desktop came up "clear" except for a recycle bin.

No big deal, but it will be interesting to see if I can recover my "documents" and AOL filing cabinet. The guy who helped me that time swore I could. If not, I can live with it.

He said I should call him back to "remove" the original (screwed up) version of XP, so that is what I am going to do in a few minutes.

Right now, I am just happy to be back online.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I was going to delete this thread, but there may be some stuff here someone else can use.

Oh, the only drive I can't seem to locate is the sound card, but I am going to the Dell site next to try to locate it, per your suggestions.

Thanks again for all the help. (And I thought FORTRAN was confusing.)
    Martin, Granbury, TX

Martin, if you have trouble locating that sound card driver, post the make and model and I'll see what I can get for you.

Be well,

Doc

Martin,

As a veteran of many reinstalls of various windows os-es, I feel your pain.

But I think that once you get settled down with your new install of XP, you're going to be very happy with it compared to ME. I put it on a desktop I have here, and it's up pretty much 24/7 without incident for the last 10 months.

- Ed

Martin, by default, your desktop should only have the recycle bin. if you want it to look like ME or '98, go to the control panel and click on 'Appearance and Themes", next click on 'Taskbar and Start Menu' and select 'Classic Mode'. It will put the My Documents, My Computer, Internet Explorer, and My Network Places on your deskop. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe
    Thanks for all of the advice...I should have asked before the install!

Right now I have discovered the MS help desk. (Found the phone number buried in the manual.)

They suggested I reinstall XP as a "parallel" OS, which I did, and got back on AOL (was knocked off for a while.)

Windows ME was running properly, but I had heard that I should really upgrade to XP, so I figured I had better do it now, prior to trying to do my taxes with Turbotax.

With the parallel install, I am having to reinstall all of my programs, in other words, the desktop came up "clear" except for a recycle bin.

No big deal, but it will be interesting to see if I can recover my "documents" and AOL filing cabinet. The guy who helped me that time swore I could. If not, I can live with it.

He said I should call him back to "remove" the original (screwed up) version of XP, so that is what I am going to do in a few minutes.

Right now, I am just happy to be back online.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I was going to delete this thread, but there may be some stuff here someone else can use.

Oh, the only drive I can't seem to locate is the sound card, but I am going to the Dell site next to try to locate it, per your suggestions.

Thanks again for all the help. (And I thought FORTRAN was confusing.)
    Chris 'Digger' Johnson