Thread: Weekend Accomplishments - PICS*

Thumbs up Weekend Accomplishments - PICS*

Well....another weekend has come and gone.

I didn't get any real shop time in this weekend due to 5 members of my 6 member family being "sick". Spent most of Saturday helping a neighbor frame his house and deck the roof. My oldest son wanted to help out so I took him along as well. Made lots of progress.

Spent most of the day today (Sunday) tending to LOML and 4 kids that are sick so it was spent cleaning, cooking and dispersing medications as needed. I sure will be glad when the household is well again.

<b>Air Compressor woes are O V E R!!!!</b>

As you can see from the pics below that I took the "Husky/Campbell Hausfield" compressor back to HD, got my account credited back and went to a TSC store in Jacksonville, AR (closest store to me that was open) and bought the Ingersoll-Rand SS3L3 Single Stage, 60 Gal compressor.

After dealing with the CH/Husky compressor and trying to get the leaks resolved with a plastic fitting and the leak with the pressure switch, I gave up after talking with a Warranty Service Center fellow.

If you remember the CH/Husky compressor, it had some plastic piping coming from the tank to the pressure switch and had a complete plastic housing around the pulley/flywheel on the front side.
    The tank wasn't even stamped with an Approved ASME decal.
    The compressor castings were "rough around the edges" and the finish just seemed like it was made in a hurry.

The IR compressor is absolutely GRAND..!!!!!!
    1. It is quieter than the Husky.
    2. The fit and finish of this compressor is a LOT better than the Husky.
    3. The motor is of higher quality than the Husky.
    4. The compressor has the appearance of finely machine parts.
    5. There isn't a single plastic hose anywhere on this compressor.
    6. The pressure switch and power switch on this compressor is hands down better than the Husky.
    7. The Electric motor on this compressor is softer in starting and stopping than the Husky. Easier start and easier shutoff.
    8. The shroud that covers the pulley and flywheel is all metal and a lot sturdier than the Husky.
    9. The welds are better, smoother and better finished than the Husky.
    10. The fittings and connections are all Brass and Copper....no plastic to get brittle and break or leak.
    11. Fixing a leak around the pressure switch is easy to repair since all fittings are brass and can be taken apart and put back together without a single problem. (on the Husky the plastic line from the tank to the pressure switch is a "one time install" and if the line is cut, a new pressure switch would have to be purchased and installed and a service tech would have to make the connection back to the switch for the plastic line as the service guy told me that if it's not done right the first time, it will always leak.)
    12. There are TWO pressure relief valves on this jewel instead of one. One located at the pressure switch and one on top of the tank, providing double protection.
    13. The ball valve for the outgoing air is larger and of higher quality than the one on the Husky.

<b>Summary?</b>
    I would HIGHLY recommend this IR compressor to anyone looking for a compressor. It is more than worth the extra $100 in the pricetag to get a higher quality compressor that you would feel a lot better about once you got it home and got if up and running. Here is what the new compressor looks like........one satisfied customer.

Thanks to all who pointed me to the IR brand compressors. You knew exactly what I was looking for.......live and learn...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dennis Peacock; 02-01-2004 at 11:53 PM.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Hey Dennis,

Looks like you made the right decisions regarding the compressor. You certainly shouldn't have an air shortage now.

My shop time ended up fairly limited this weekend, but I did get a few pens turned. Had lots of visitors this weekend that kept me out of the shop, but a good weekend all the same.

Have a great week all,
    Bob

d,

Whew...glad that all worked out. It looks to me that it worked out for the best too. The IR is a much better looking unit. I'm sure it will serve you for a long time.

I got the EC stained. Fought with the color match, finally getting it to the point I was happy with it and got the first coat of poly on the entire unit. Finally, I'm getting close to done!!!

Everyone have a good week,

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hatfield
    d,

Whew...glad that all worked out. It looks to me that it worked out for the best too. The IR is a much better looking unit. I'm sure it will serve you for a long time.

I got the EC stained. Fought with the color match, finally getting it to the point I was happy with it and got the first coat of poly on the entire unit. Finally, I'm getting close to done!!!

Everyone have a good week,

Terry
    Make sure you post several pics of that EC.....LOML sure is interested in it.!!!
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I finished assembling some Unistrut shelving, got plywood on it and madke a small dent in getting the @$% off of the workshop floor. next step is to give my self enough floor space so I can actually walk, rather than meander and climb, around there.

I cut lots of pen blanks, then I cut lots more. I had about 235 already cut, and I think I cut over 900 more. (This means done and in the boxes). In addition, I have cut about 300-400 blanks worth of 6" lengths, and they are staged at the band saw waiting to be ripped to height/width. (It looks like a giant Jinga game!)

Silicone adhesive did not fix the motor fan from coming off the rear motor shaft on the bandsaw. I peened the metal ring that is supposed hold the plastic fan on. It worked for a while. When it came off again, I peened it a whole lot more. It still came off, so then I peened the end of the shaft some, and I'm still waiting to see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Make sure you post several pics of that EC.....LOML sure is interested in it.!!!

d,

You know me...lack of pics is usually not the problem.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This weekend was largely dedicated to construction of the "new" cyclone and compressor closet in the shop. Rearranging the walls will provide a new workspace for the lathe as well as reduce noise in the shop to an even lower level through better (and thicker) wall design.

The original DC closet was quickly constructed and although it significantly reduced the direct noise level in the rest of the shop, it was not ideal. There was no real sound insulation used and only the homasote used over the 2" thick framing for the wall coverings was there to absorb sound.

The new closet is constructed with 4" of thickness. The outer, shop-facing surface is a beaded pine plywood from the 'Depot (it was less expensive than OSB this week...) and the inside surface is 1/4" pegboard installed with the rough side toward the noise. Fiberglass insulation is used between the studs to help absorb the low-end rumble and the rough pegboard reduces reflection of higher frequencies. With the door closed, I can barely hear the stereo system in the shop at my normally "spirited" volume level. I also built a baffled air return to the shop in one of the joist bays...it's 3' long and makes sure there is no direct sound transmission path back to the shop.

I was going to just buy a solid core door and frame it up myself, but the 'Depot had a bargain steel exterior 36" door for less than the sum of all the parts would have run...and it was a lot faster to install. Paint will have to wait until it warms up, but the new DC will go in next weekend and I can really test out the sound attenuation.

Unfortunately, I didn't get time on the lathe due to a drawn out shopping trip on Saturday morning putting me behind schedule. The Leer cap place called that my cap was in (a week early)...and when I got there, it turned out to be slightly off-shade and has to go back for re-painting. Hard to mess up white, but it happened. Then it was into an unfamiliar HD and the frustration of trying to find things. At least Best Buy had the optical cable I wanted in an easy to find place! Saturday night, LOML and I watched our weekly movie...Swimming Pool this week. Very strange movie.

Pics

1) DC Closet before
    2) New DC Closet
    3) Pegboard detail
    4) Cyclone mounting area and power ready to go
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Lots

Watched a couple of good movies: Open Range and Once A Time in Mexico. I liked Open Range the best.

A trip to the local lumber yards for some Maple and Oak for two up coming projects.

Began a new bed frame. I was able to get all the major components cut out, routed, M&T's, etc. Assembled the headboard. The bed will be out of Maple and Walnut. I will take it out of the clamps tonight and start sanding around the joints.

The "Big" snow storm, well was as I was figuring.... a pooper. All week the weather casters called for 8-12", they started changing the story late Friday to 1/2" of ice and then 2-4" snow, we got a little ice which turned to slush and no snow. It was funny watching them explain why they missed the forecast so bad.

Watched one heck of a football game, but missed the half time flashing by Janet Jackson. Saw it today on drudgereport. Totally planned.

Congrats to the Pats, though I was cheering for the underdog.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Spent most of the weekend fighting a cold. (sniff, cough, sniff) I'm losing! I did manage to get over to my buddy's and find the rest of the cutters for the molder. Got them all cleaned up and coated with Boe. Did some general cleaning of the restore aftermath and finally got to actually run some wood through the molder: Sweet! Lots faster than I envisioned! Made up a couple sleds and guides for the W&H, then instead of turning on "the" game, I finally popped in the tape from VacuPress and starting learning me about veneering! Very informative...Man, I've got a LOT to learn! Have a great week, all!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

didn't get any time in the shop worked saturday sunday went to harbor freight picked up the sander they had on sale,,watched super bowl won 200.00,,
    Mike

Wife went away for the weekend, so I didn't get any shop time with just me and the kids....I did however get to Lowes and pick up a little protable 3/4 horse dust collector. Now I know its not a cyclone and it only has 30 micron bags, but I am not sure how I am even going to fit that in my basement, and it will have to be better then the tiny little shopvac I have now.

Then I met my parents at the local Harbor Freight. My dad had never been to one before we had a good time and I brought how a copule new toys. Nothing major, but I got a drill chuck for my lathe, a 12v cordless drill (real chinsy housing, but for 13 bucks come on you can't beat that and I am not using the thing as a contractor) and some locking pliers.

Also ran into a guy looking at lathe chisels. Turns out he hangs out at the Creek and one of the mag forums. Sorry but I have a horrible memory and can't remember your name. We had a good time chatting about the lathe and tools and stuff. He had driven all the way from Jersey to get the lathe and they didn't have in stock bummer.

All in all I think I did well with having two kids 2 and under all by myself for the weekend

Noah
    Last edited by Noah Alkinburgh; 02-02-2004 at 12:29 PM.
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

<b>Noah......</b>

Don't sweat the DC setup stuff.....Trust me on this one.....I used to do all my woodworking with out a DC...not even a cheap Shop-Vac...nada...zilch-o.
    When I got my 2HP, 2 Bag DC to move about the shop, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. The shop was cleaner, cleanup was easier and took less time. It will serve you well for a long while and then one day....you will move up the chain in shop dust collection....slowly....but surely.
    Dennis -

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Don't sweat the DC setup stuff.....Trust me on this one.....I used to do all my woodworking with out a DC...
    Having just spend the weekend cutting without the DC...I can honestly say that even a small chip collector is better than none! I had forgotten how much stuff comes off the tools without the DC running. Yuk. Had to break out the ol' Dust-Bee-Gone when I got to cutting up the recycled Homasote to fill in between the joists. Nasty. I'm glad I didn't have to cut any MDF!

So...you did a good thing, Noah. Put a better filter bag on it when you have the chance, but in the mean time, it will help better than the shop vac ever could.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...