Thread: Kreg K2000

Kreg K2000

Can you help me out. I have Kreg drills, clamps, and a "pocket rocket", and I am starting to do more PHJ (not a business however). I would like to get something like the K2000 jig to make clamping pieces for drilling more efficient.

I have found the K2000 jig but it seems to be an older model no longer made / sold. Plus, the newer equivalent, (KJK2K on Amazon) is a full kit (clamps, drills, etc.) which I do not need.

Are there any sources of just the clamp fixture? Are there any homemade approaches? Or am I out of luck and have to buy the full package just to get the clamping jig.

Thanks for any advice.
    Ken

Trouble is - the "extra" stuff you don't need really isn't very expensive so you may end up getting the best deal just buying the whole thing.

I know you can find K2000 kits on ebay (i just sold mine there). These are usually the full kits, too, though. But who don't need extra clamps and drill bits? Also, amazon still offers one, too:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LPJ5XW/
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Oh, there's also an aluminum one that doesn't adjust for material thickness. Not quite as sophisticated as the K2000:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DD1YD/

I just replaced my K2000 kit with the K3 system and love it. It works a little differently and requires fewer steps for adjusting to material thickness. See here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009VD03Y/
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

ken, i agree with you: the newer kreg kits come with a lot of extra accessories that you do not need. i sold off my k2000 jig a year ago, bought a steve clardy pocket cutting machine, later upgraded to a porter cable pocket cutter i found on craigslist and finally bought the earlier aluminum model just to have something more portable. if i had known about the aluminum model earlier, i think i would have foregone the k2000 entirely. the body of the older jig does not FLEX like the plastic ones and i almost never used the pocket rocket or the clamp-on jig. the best place to find the older kreg jig is either on ebay or craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    Oh, there's also an aluminum one that doesn't adjust for material thickness. Not quite as sophisticated as the K2000:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DD1YD/

I just replaced my K2000 kit with the K3 system and love it. It works a little differently and requires fewer steps for adjusting to material thickness. See here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009VD03Y/
    I have this older jig that is practically unused condition. If you are interested in buying this pm me. I'll obviously sell for less than Amazon.

Vijay

Ken,

I just purchased the K3 system and used it on a new bath vanity. I had only used a biscuit jointer in the past and being a first time pocket screw user, I will say that I just love pocket screws and the K3 system. They are real easy to use and you can dissemble your project for sanding or whatever.

Michael

K3

Ken,

Go for the K3, I have had all versions in the past.

The K3 has been upgraded over the K2000.

Stiff body, metal inside,
    adjust for wood thickness much better. Has new indexing.
    vacumm port - which some may discount is very nice feature. After you drill 100 holes, you'll know what I mean.
    Clamp is much better in front, instead of the rear.

Tip - do yourself a favor an buy a 3/8 electric drill with the RPM's Kreg suggest (can't think of it). Save the batt drills for attaching the screws. Major time saver. I got a simple Hitachi drill from Lowes, just for kreg.

All well worth the price tag.

Next stop, the Kreg foreman... someday...

Peter - I drilled over 200 kreg holes today...

Thanks to all for their perspectives. I recognize the K3 new features, but the $100+ can go for some other tools I need more if I can find a way to improve the efficiency of the rocket jig. I actually have an idea of how to make it into a fixed jig...if it works out, I will post some pix. If it doesn't, I'll probably still continue to use the portable jig with all the clamps.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    ken, i agree with you: the newer kreg kits come with a lot of extra accessories that you do not need. i sold off my k2000 jig a year ago, bought a steve clardy pocket cutting machine, later upgraded to a porter cable pocket cutter i found on craigslist and finally bought the earlier aluminum model just to have something more portable. if i had known about the aluminum model earlier, i think i would have foregone the k2000 entirely. the body of the older jig does not FLEX like the plastic ones and i almost never used the pocket rocket or the clamp-on jig. the best place to find the older kreg jig is either on ebay or craigslist.
    Frank - Wow! I remember reading a post maybe a month ago that you had built the Clardy jig and were looking for a PC machine but didn't want to spend the money - looks like you found one!

Do you really think that 15 deg vs 11/12 deg angle makes that much of a difference?

PS - always enjoy reading your posts and insite into cabinet making in a small shop - R
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

thanks rob! the 6 degree cutting angle makes a HUGE difference in face frame joints in eliminating creep and extra sanding. the great thing about the PC pocket cutter is that you can bore the pocket and drill the hole in two easy passes without reaching for the cordless screwdriver. i don't build a lot of face framed cabinet anymore but i have thought about building beaded inset with ROUTED beads.

The Kreg pocket rocket end guide comes off easily and allows mounting the jig to a board. The attached will serve my needs for now; much better than the previous juggling I was doing. True, no dust removal, nor hole spacing, and probably a tad more clamp manipulation, but ok for the bucks ($0).

Again, thanks for all the suggestions.

Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images

ken, that's a pretty creative solution. glad you didn't blow any extra bucks - save it for the next tool purchase!