Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whats yer workshop shoe?

Lately I have been wearing, slip on mocassins from cabelas. They are comfortable.

Mike

I have to second the vote for Crocs!! I wear them with socks, which amuses my wife to no end, but you can't beat them for comfort, especially when standing for long periods of time.

Workboots with steel toes.

Come on, CROCS in a shop????

Obviously worn by people who never drop anything!

regards, Rod.

4. sneakers. I like Merrill

A pair of running shoes for me - they offer the most support.

When I was working in a cabinet factory on concrete floors, steel toe was a requirement - I never found one that was comfortable - best I could suggest was a plain old leather workboot about 1/2 size too large and with a runners insole in the boot to support your arch.

I'm too lazy now to run, but I sure do like how comfortable a pair of properly fitted running shoes can be.

From a yuppie in a cubicle :P (who worked trades for a decade prior to corporate life)

I have an all concrete floor, and no simple solution for that so I opt for serious footwear.

I wear Echo boots. They are extremely comfortable for me as I have stupid wide feet (3E). @ 6'3" 220, I am putting some serious weight on them as well. The Echo's I've owned in the past (wore them while doing low volt electrical) lasted for 2-3 yrs a pair and were amazingly comfortable. This pair I have now I've owned for 9 months and look as good as new.

If I wear bad footwear while working in the shop for a day (Sat and Sun usually have 4-7 hour sessions) I have lower back pain for a day (reason I exited the trades). These boots are not cheap, but a day's pain everytime I work in the shop was worth it.

The most valuable advice I can offer is to ensure you know precisely what your foot width / shape is. If you really want a comfortable shoe, go to a good shoe store and get some accurate sizing assistance. My 9.5-10 / 3E was causing me many issues finding a shoe that fits right. Until I found the Echo's, I just resigned myself to dealing w/ it... when I found them.. woah, what relief!

G'luck.

mike

Another vote for crocs. Up until I got them, I was wearing a pair of merrell clogs. Easy to kick off so I don't drag dust everywhere.

crocs for the light days, but when i'm moving stuff around or milling stuff out, i wear keens. same wide toe box as crocks, but more coverage.

i would wear steel toes boots, but i lost mine and can't find a pair i like in my size. they don't make many options for "the ladies"

Propet walkers, wide base, very comfortable especially for my size 15s. About $55.00.

I get most of my foot wear from Sportsmans Guide.

What I currently use in the shop is a pair of Rocky steel toed sneakers. Very comfortable and with toe protection for my klutzier moments. I think I paid about $30.00 for the pair.

Sandals in the summertime, tennies in the winter.

Rubber mats in front of the bench and machines.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

LA Gear Street Hiking slip-ons. Last time they were on clearance at Big5 sporting goods for $20, I bought two pair. They have great tread, good cushion, and wear like iron. Also, Costco foam mats in front of the workbench and a ribbed black rubber hall runner in front of the tablesaw.

Wow, thanks for all the responses one and all!
    The Crocs seem to be the overwhelming majority, along with Merrells, and Birkenstocks and misc tennis shoes.
    All this croc talk got me thinking about clogs: Easy slip on/off, podiatric correctness (not just good for your feet, but also your knees, back and overall posture). Read alot of testimonies from chefs, teachers, surgeons etc (people on their feet all day) on how awesome these dansko clogs are. Both open and closed back versions. But at $120 ? Hmmm. I guess it would be worth it in savings on foot, knee, lumbar problems.

In a society of croc wearers, one could skate by fairly unnoticed in the better toe protection of a thick leather clog.

Who am I convincing... You or me?

Blog Entries
    FLIP FLOPS and quick reaction time. I know I'm gonna regret it some day.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Danner Hunting Boots with 200 grams of Thinsulate, is my all time favorite foot wear.

Why? because, they breathe, they are water proof, they are warm and they are cool.

But most importantlye they provide the best support and protection to my feet.

Unfortunately, my local hunting outfitter went out of business, so I am relegated to Rockports walking shoes.

I have also been know to work in top-siders.

But for safety and comfort, a very good pair of hunting boots work really well in a woodworking environment.

Joe