Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whats yer workshop shoe?

Ok, whats goin on now ? Is Norm comeing out with a line of shop shoes ? Measure twice, fit once !
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 09-19-2007 at 11:46 PM.

a 8 year old pair of new balance sneakers - the sole is coming off on of them - it looks like itll be a slipper soon the rubber is coming right off the fabric part... maybe ill just glue it but they are still the best sneakers i ever had.

I also bought maybe 30 bucks worth of the foam floor pads from harbor frieght - huge difference.

Blog Entries
    My favorites are also no longer made. At least not with the quality they used to be made and the price is higher. They are a dead issue after almost 20 years and 4 pairs (that's how long they used to last).

Now, like Cody my sneakers move from regular wear to shop wear once they get beat. New Balance cross-trainers for me but, I wear extra wide. I think the key here is what is comfortable for you?

In the summer I am in sandals when not doing things that are unsafe in sandals. I also have rubber mats at my workstations. These go a long way toward a comfortable time in the shop.

Note the shoes and floor, not the magnified cursor fix:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...5&d=1169337075
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brehme View Post
    Are those made by Nike?
    No. They are made by Z-coil. My wife started nursing this year. Many of the nurses wear these since they are on their feet for 12 hours days. Just like a woodworker!

I complained about my feet and she gave me money to get a pair. Not cheap. ~$200! Now in my house I take big notice when money is coming in my direction. (It normally goes the other way.) These are the ugliest shoes on the planet, but they are remarkably comfortable.

http://www.zcoil.com/

Croc sandals - very comfortable provide you don't drop anything on your toes...

Blundstone safety boots. I have habit of dropping stuff on my toes. I have 1/2" rubber matting throughout my shed for comfort/tool protection

My all time favorite is the Red Wing 6611 Mens Oxford with a steel toe. I just bought a new pair to replace another pair that I had worn for about 8 years. Good shoes are critical to prevent damage to to the foot's bone structure (and even knees and hips), so this is one "shop tool" I would never even THINK about compromising on!

Wolverine Steeltoes for me. I don't enjoy banging my toe nails when I drop something, which is happening more and more than usual. Godspeed.

Whatever I've got on my feet at the time! Most of the time it's my Birkenstocks just because I'm lazy and they're easy to just slip on as I head out to the shop. It can be a pain in the butt when I get a lot of wood chips in them though.

For me, the shoe I'm wearing doesn't make that much difference, but having rubber mats to stand on instead of a hard concrete floor makes all the difference in the world.

Keith

Another vote for Crocs because of the comfort. I've switched to Crocs from boat shoes for everyday and my 60 year old feet and legs don't talk to me like they used to.

You can get them in camo, industrial grey or nearly any other color to match you equipment and shop decor. And only $30. Mustard anyone?

Best regards,

Tom, in Houston, with four pairs of Crocs.
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Merrell hikers with Dr. Scholl's most expensive insoles. Also worn to work.
    on the road during the week, will reply to PMs on weekends.

Well...as I sit here in my cubicle I look down and see New Balance, when these wear enough they become shop shoes, but I buy the ones with the most support and design for active wear I can.

Al....who may be in a cubicle, but he ain't no stinkin' yuppie...
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

workshop shoes?

In warm weather like we have been having around here this year...for me...Reef flip flops all the time!

I prefer tassled loafers but generally wear running shoes and stand on a rubber/foam mat. I think the mat was the biggest improvement for my feet, legs and back. I like crocs but the holes do allow for chips and shavings to get in.
    Ben

I wear Worx Oxfords with a Vubram Flat sole and orthotic inserts. But I am finding that the Vibram gets slick from the sawdust. So I may have to change or even more drastic sweep the floor.
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling