Thread: Odd Customer Inquiry

Odd Customer Inquiry

I received this e-mail this morning. It sounds so much like the wording and misspellings of the usual scammers (and is from a Yahoo account) that I hesitate to respond. Can anyone think of a way they could be trying to scam me with a little $75 banner? (Name xx'd out)

To who it may concern

I am Mr. xxxxx xxxxxx I appreciate browsing throught your site. I am looking for " Vinyl banner " to purchase and i believe you do carry some instock for sale. i will apprecite if you can email me back with the price on 30 by 60 vinyl banner with just the letters to say Happy Annivesiry .

would be much grateful if you would e-mail me back with the pick up price so that i can go ahead and place the order.and i will like to know the term of payment that you accept .
    hope to hear from you soon . so that i can go ahead and place the order. and the term of payment that you accept and i can o..

This order is a special order and i would like to deal with the owner of the store
    directly. I would be looking forward to hear favourable from you soon.

Thanks
    xxxxxx ...

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Sure sounds fishy to me. I wonder if they are trying to build your trust for a later scam? Then again, it could be legit and just someone who's first language is not english.

It is a scam. I have seen it before.

It's a scam they are on all of the sign forums.

Thanks, it sounded like a scam but for such a small amount hardly seems worth the trouble.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

How does this become a scam?
    ULS M-360 35W, Corel X3

I've seen a little about it online as well. Apparently they do want the banner. You ship it and the credit card used is stolen. So in the end, you don't get paid for it and they get the product.

Also, any reply to these types of emails will almost certainly get your email address listed as a valid address and they'll freely post it on spam sites to harvest.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I've seen a little about it online as well. Apparently they do want the banner. You ship it and the credit card used is stolen. So in the end, you don't get paid for it and they get the product.

Also, any reply to these types of emails will almost certainly get your email address listed as a valid address and they'll freely post it on spam sites to harvest.
    Thanks, Scott, I wondered too. Unfortunately when your e-mail is on your website it's a target for spammers even without the validation of an answer. I have a personal e-mail that gets a spam once or twice a month, my business one I get 10 a day plus another 10+ that are caught by the spam blocker. With that I sometimes have real customer e-mails caught by accident so have to check the spam file often.

Sammamish, WA

They don't care about the product, it is something in the way the shipping is payed for that they make their money. Somebody on another board messed with them for awhile the story was funny. He told them the banners were several thousand dollars and that was fine with them, and he jerked them around some more.

I guess they have to find a lot of suckers to make money. At least when they do it to people selling cars there's thousands involved. I ran into a lot of them when selling my '72 El Camino, that's why it sounded familiar. Some woman near here fell for it on a boat, lost $4,000 on the "shipping" money when she sent it after cashing a bogus cashier's check from the scammer.

Sammamish, WA