Thread: Asbestos Shingle Siding

Asbestos Shingle Siding

An individual wants me to repair some water damage on her house. The house is 50 - 60 years old and has asbestos shingle siding, some of which will have to be removed to do the repair. If I am careful, I can probably remove most with no damage, but doubtlessly one or two will get broken and a couple are already missing. Do any firms manufacture non-asbestos replacements for these old shingles? What I am looking for is 12X24" with a wood-grain vertical embossed texture. I know that Hardie makes a slightly similar shingle-style panel, but it is too different in appearance and thickness to use for this application. Any suggestions would be welcome.

When I was Googling on this subject not long ago, I thought that there was someone making a replacement for some of this old siding for patching in, etc. Too bad I didn't know of your need a few weeks ago...I could have sent you some replacements gratis...although it may have been illegal to ship it or something! LOL (It's all gone now... )
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Stan,

I have just about finished removing the asbestos shingles from my home. I have a stack of new shingles in my barn you are welcome to, they were never used. I expect they were kept as repair / replacements.

I have no idea what kind of shipping arrangements would have to be made or if it is even legal to ship asbestos these days.

http://www.gaf.com/Content/GAF/RES1/...atherSide.html#

This is where I found some replacements for my asbestos siding. Perfect match, I feel very lucky to say.

I was looking into to the asbestos siding removal about a year ago. Asbestos is considered hazardous and must be treated it as such. There are pretty tight restrictions on moving it, and getting rid of it. Local ordances can provide the particular requirements for its handling. Asbestoes siding is dangerous stuff. When you handle it there are very specific things you should do. A local company gave me a bid of $4K to remove the asbestos siding from a 2 story house.

Bryan, some kinds of siding are more hazardous to remove than others according to my GC.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Agreed, it depends on whether the asbestos siding is in good shape or not. Many years ago I helped my dad pull asbestos tiles and reinstall them. All I had to do was pull the nails with a pair of pliers. At that time I was unaware of the risks. I am more educated on the risks of asbestos to a person's health. IMHO messing with asbestos siding isn't worth the risk to my personal health.