Thread: My first Nakashima inspired table (MORE PICS)

My first Nakashima inspired table (MORE PICS)

Hello all,
    I have not contributed here much lately, a beautiful Illinois summer has kept me from my computer.

I recently finished reading "The Soul of a Tree" by George Nakashima. I find tremendous beauty in all of his pieces and was inspired to build something in the likeness of his art. Luckily enough, I have collected several slabs over the years, so I picked my favorite figured maple slab and went to work. Scale is critical with Nakashima work, so I spent quite a bit of time designing what I thought was the right thickness and dimension for the supporting structure of the slab. My particular table is modeled after his Minguren series. It was a rewarding project and I just can't help but to run my hand along the natural edge every time I walk through my great room. If any of you have large slabs sitting in your wood rooms waiting for a home, I encourage you to build something "organic" - I'm sure you'll find as much pleasure as I have.

Sorry for the poor quality of the pics!
    Ryan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ryan Bess; 09-13-2007 at 10:03 PM.

Hey Ryan,

That is really sharp. How did you join the top? How about the finish process? Nice work
    Trent

Not sure it suits my taste, but I'm interested in how you attached the top too. I hope it can withstand someone sitting on the end (not that it's supposed to, but you know how it can go). Nice craftsmanship regardless!

Very nice, I'm partail to that style as well. I'm also a slab junkie and have a few favorites that I set aside for myself, they are addictive.

Dale
    DJO Furniture Maker / Timberwerks Studio

Nakashima would be proud.

Beautiful, elegant and simple. Not sure it should be placed on top of that particular carpet which really pulls your attention from the table. In the photos at least.

Hey guys,
    To answer a few questions:

-The top is attached with (2) large loose tenons & Titebond III. I have pics of the assembly but do not have them at work with me now. It is incredibly strong, my 115 pound wife can stand on either end of the table without catastrophic failure. (I should take a pic to prove it)

-The finish is 3 coats of Minwax tung oil Finish (basically varnish) I'm not sure if it will be the permanent topcoat, but it is OK so far.

-I agree totally about the rug, I've always disliked it's pattern and tell my wife constantly that it makes me dizzy! I'll let her know that I have another advocate on the forum for a new one. I suggested to her a simple nuetral colored rug with maybe some slight color along the fringe.

Thanks for the comments, Ryan

Blog Entries
    That's is a real beauty. I too am interested in how you did the joint. I have a huge slab of Ironwood I'd like to make into a table like that. I also have a few beautiful slabs of AAAA Curly Maple That would be perfect for something similar. Thanks for posting.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Ryan, that's a great piece. Beautiful work! Nakashima teaches us a lot about woodworking and many other things...that book is always one of my "must read" recommendations.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ryan, very visually interesting piece. I always like furniture where the wood is the "star" and this one certainly meets that criterion. Great job.

Very Nice..

I love the grain in the top.

additional pics

Thanks for all the compliments.
    I thought I would add a few more pics. Earlier I posted that I used (2) loose tenons, but I forgot that I only used one until I found the original picture. So to prove it's strength, I convinced the wife to stand on it for a picture (bless her heart) There is a little flex - after all, it is only 2" thick Maple!
    Attached Images Attached Images