Name: Christopher K. Hartley

How young are you?
Let's see...this is a tough one...My mind says eighteen all the time but there are days when the body keeps crying out, "Ninety!" So, if I split the difference and add a little for stress induced years that "Dirty Turning" has added, I'd have to say just spinning very close to the big six-0.

Physical description:
How about six foot three and one half inches tall, two hundred sixty or so pounds (depends on which bowl I eat my ice cream from that week), Brown hair...oops, it changed color on me when I wasn't looking... and brown eyes. And oh by the way...I love to grill out!

hartley 01.jpg

Where is home?
Spring, Texas which is just north of Houston for the past 15 years. Before that was:
  • Lubbock Texas
  • San Diego, California
  • Denver, Colorado
  • Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
  • Wichita Falls, Texas
  • Wichita, Kansas
  • Ravenna, Stow, and Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Family information:
Well here goes, the LOML, Ann, has tolerated me now for 40 years this June 30th. We have three beautiful (well at least they are now. There were those days I wasn't real sure) children, four grandchildren and one on the way. We have three pets, two dogs, and a cat; along with a host of grand pets (belong to the kids but we sometimes have to baby-sit them). They include four dogs two cats and a big snake.

hartley 06.jpg

Umm let’s recap. Three pets and two dogs and a cat. That makes six. What are the first three, Armadillos?

Do you have a website? If so, what’s the URL?

I do but it is under reconstruction as we speak. I'll be adding the link to my SMC profile when it is ready to go.

Hurry up, already.

Vocation:
Within our company I'm in charge of Sales Development for North America. My company is the largest Funeral and Cemetery services company in the world. I have been with them for 20 years this year. I focus on the development of our sales management team. I was privileged to be a part of the development and launching of our Company's Corporate University. I also had the privilege of starting the first from the ground up Funeral/Cemetery combination location that the company ever built. It is now the center for our National Sales Management Training Program while still being a live location. Prior to this, I spent ten years in the United States Air Force with a tour of duty in Viet Nam. I served fifteen years as a Senior Pastor in three different Churches in Kansas and Oklahoma prior to going into the death care industry.

Shop Overview:
My shop is approximately 12' x 18'and it is in the garage that is just behind and to the side of the house. My major tools consist of:
Lathe, Drill press, 12" Band Saw, Chain Saw, 12"Disk Sander, Table Saw, Miter Saw, Two Buffers, a Grinder, Large HF DC unit, Portable Air Compressor, Dremel Tool Set, Lots and lots of hand tools.

How many lathes do you own?

I have owned two lathes; the first was a Jet 1442 VSK, which I really enjoyed.

hartley 02.jpg

I sold it and now own a Robust 25" – The American Beauty.

hartley 03.jpg

It is a 3 HP with a 24" Bed Extension and Tilt-a Way Tailstock. It also has a large Robust Bowl Steady and a Robust Outboard Turning Rig. It has removable Robust Casters for easier movement and is equipped with a vacuum adapter and full vacuum setup. It sports a Oneway Livecenter and adapter and a Stronghold Chuck with various jaws. A specially modified Kelton Hollowing Rig with laser system is on its way from Australia. I chose the Robust after some prodding by a fellow member that must remain anonymous. At the time I was considering the Powermatic 4224, Oneway 2436 and the British VB-36. When considering all the issues with these lathes the Robust won hands down! I really don't think I'll be looking for another lathe any time soon, if at all.

How many turning tools do you have?
I have 36 turning tools, which includes one homemade specialty scraper. I really like using my round nose scrapers and do a lot of work with them.

How long have you been turning, and what got you started in the first place?
I got back into turning in March of 2006. I had turning in shop class 40+ years earlier in High School. I hadn't really thought much about it until I stumbled across this site and my interest was re-kindled. I had not really done anything for myself all the years my wife and I had been married and I told her I'm going to do this for me. She agreed and was a tremendous support.

What's your favorite flavor of ice cream?
Well I have to be honest here. I have never eaten anything anywhere (and I've been all over the world) that even comes close to good ole Texas made "Blue Bell Ice Cream". I love the Homemade Vanilla. I put about three big scoops in a blender with chipped ice and a bottle of Ginger Beer, Sarsaparilla or (better yet) Moxie; and WOW!! What a refreshing drink!

What do you enjoy most about turning?
I've never been much of an artist but when I'm on the lathe I feel like I can create things of beauty. It is very satisfying. It's like I'm away from all the cares of the world and in this peaceful place all to myself.

What do you enjoy the least about turning?
Having to stop.