Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite tool?

My fav ? My HF close quarter drill for power sanding. Best 18 bucks I have spent. Did I say I hate sanding I have had it about a year now and it just won't die.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

You got that right, Curt. I hated that thing.

My new favorite is an old experimental 5/8" Glaser bowl gouge that a good friend gave me because he didn't like it. Holds an edge very well and weighs a ton.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt View Post
    You got that right, Curt. I hated that thing.

My new favorite is an old experimental 5/8" Glaser bowl gouge that a good friend gave me because he didn't like it.
    Andy,

Where can I find those friends? I think it is easier to find friends that didn't like me and good to their Glaser.

How was it different than the production 5/8" Glaser? Just curious.

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Mike A. Smith View Post
    Just got a bonus at work. Not enough to make up for everything I did, but still a nice surprise! I've decided I'm going to purchase a couple of quality turning tools with part of it.

Not really interested in a hollowing system since I don't turn HF often and I'm not commercial, so I'll continue to do these the old fashioned way.
    what is everyone's single, number one favorite, can't live without it, turning tool?
    I am going to go "off the board" here and suggest the Rolly Munro mini hollowing tool... WAIT!!!
    I use it for all kinds of things, inside and out (it cuts like CRAZY). I have a Delta Midi and a mustard monster, I wish I had had the hollower when I first tried hollowing, I might still be using the Midi (ok, not really, BUT...) that thing is my favorite. I have considered getting a bigger hollowing system, but I am already doing 9+ inch diameter by 6+ deep hollow forms, no steady rest, no gigantic rigging - just the tool, the lathe and the wood. I will add a steady rest at some point, but I'm in no hurry to get bigger (not better) hollowing tools, I really don't see NEEDING anything more.
    That tool is VERY responsible for the amount of and quality of the hollow forms I do. It comes with one articulation link, I got a second and can get VERY far inside without any trouble.
    Change One Thing

I'm ignoring your single tool question but here's my opinion on must have kit.

For a variety I would say one each of the 10 MM and 16 MM P&N gouges and two of the 12 MM (3/8", 5/8", & 1/2" x 2 respectively) All total about $150 delivered from Lee Valley and in my opinion the best money you can spend for making average sized bowls.

As for boring bars and hollow forms I'm a big fan of rolling your own with 1/4" x 1/4 x 2 1/2 M2 bits from WT Tool and 3/4" drill rod for a straight and angled boring bar. All total you can make two for around $20 and they will last a long time.

So for less than $200 you could easily cover your bowl and hollow form making if you don't mind making the handles.

Congrats on the bonus by the way. It's always good to get a little extra, especially if the darling wife let's you use some of it the way you want to.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Seto View Post
    ..... How was it different than the production 5/8" Glaser? Just curious. Gordon
    I really don't know. Except that it's quite old and isn't shot-loaded.
    Only the Blue Roads

1/2" skew... love the curlies it can make!
    Isaiah 55:6-7

Re: The Sorby "hollowing tool". I went back to Sorby's site to make sure we were talking about the same thing. What I actually have is not one of their hollowing systems. It's just a medium sized half-round tool with and adjustable round nosed Oland-type tip. It's what I generally use for end grain hollowing, like goblets. I haven't had any issues with it, of course I'm pretty inexperienced so maybe I just don't realize it could be easier!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by George Guadiane View Post
    I am going to go "off the board" here and suggest the Rolly Munro mini hollowing tool... WAIT!!!
    I use it for all kinds of things, inside and out (it cuts like CRAZY).
    That's very interesting George. Does it do end-grain? And do the cutters have a good life span?
    Mike

That's very interesting George. Does it do end-grain? And do the cutters have a good life span?
    HMMMmmmmmmm...
    Eats end grain for breakfast and comes back for more. The cutters are very good, as far as I'm concerned. They are easy to sharpen and seem to last a really long time. I should say, that they have a round cupped cutter head and rotate to a new edge fairly easily. The thing I like the best (overall, there are so many things to like) is the articulated head.
    The tool cuts like a gouge, making a shearing cut, if you work it properly.
    Change One Thing

The Hunter tool and Eliminator work around the same principal. The only difference is Munroe has a protective cap and articulate arm.

Gordon

Re: The Sorby "hollowing tool". I went back to Sorby's site to make sure we were talking about the same thing. What I actually have is not one of their hollowing systems. It's just a medium sized half-round tool with and adjustable round nosed Oland-type tip. It's what I generally use for end grain hollowing, like goblets. I haven't had any issues with it, of course I'm pretty inexperienced so maybe I just don't realize it could be easier!
    I'll agree that the Hollowmaster works alright for some things. But when you're trying to hollow through a small opening and you get any kind of a catch it turns into a woodturners rodeo. You never know if the tool handle is going to beat you to death, the HF is going to explode, or if the chuck will just let go. But it's 8 seconds of excitement for sure.

Skew.

Once I developed skill with this tool I've never stopped using it.

For bowls the superflute.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Seto View Post
    The Hunter tool and Eliminator work around the same principal. The only difference is Munroe has a protective cap and articulate arm.

Gordon
    I'm not familiar with the Hunter tool, but I have used the Eliminator. It also has a hood over the cutter. The articulation is what makes th Munro a good value, with the eliminator, you need different shafts to do the job, Munro, one shaft, and an allen tool that is included. As I said, I ordered and use an extra link on the small one (I have them both)... Rolly was concerned that the extra reach might be more than the tool can handle, might be difficult to control. That has not been my experience. I have had little, if any problems keeping the tool where I want it.
    Change One Thing

Thanks George! You've got me interested, this is going on the list of 'possibles'.
    Mike