Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Probably stating what everyone else already knows

Probably stating what everyone else already knows

A couple weeks ago I was at the Borg and saw a large rool of rubber "SHOWER PAN". It's the material you'd put down before bathroom shower tiles. It comes in a 5' width and you chose the length you need.
    Anyway, I covered my new workbench with it before glueing up my latest project. The glue went flying and with a simple cloth it cleaned up spotlessly!!! I like it so much, I've left it there until I need the benchdogs, when I simply roll it up and stash it in the corner. I put it back when I'm done. In short, I pretty much beat the crap out of it and it looks as good 4 months later as the day I bought it. The best part, so does my workbench!!! Anyway, I'm a bit slow, how many of you use a similar system??
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

That beats the heck out of taping down long strips of waxed paper to cover everything up. I'll have to remember that one.
    Use the fence Luke

WB Cover

Ken,I must be slower.Never thouht of that,but,since I have a gift card I'm going shopping.Very good ideal.Thanks

linoleum

I've used a large sheet of linoleum for years on top of my work bench. They normally last 1 to 2 years before I ruin it and have to replace it. I've spilled a ton of stuff on it, oil, cleaners, etc. and they've kept the oak top of my work bench looking like new.

My TS surface is larger and flatter than my bench so I like to glue up panels there, but obviously don't want glue leaking on it. I cover it with hardboard or paneling, but never thought of anything like the stuff you described....I'll keep my eyes peeled.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Now THAT'S a great idea. I've been using that salmon colored rozen paper.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I watched Marks use what looked like brown construction paper on his table, figured if he could do it, why not..
    Seems to work ok, but your idea might be a little easier.
    Nice thing about the paper is I can write on it, nice for taking down measurements and designing stuff on.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Willits View Post
    I watched Marks use what looked like brown construction paper on his table, figured if he could do it, why not.
    Might be the same stuff Mitchell's talking about. Don't remember the exact name for it but big rolls of it are over in the paint section next to the masking tape. I assume it's covering for mid-sized chunks of floor when a regular drop-cloth would be too big or whatever.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Very nice tip...I"ll have to check it out as I hate cleaning glue off my bench even though it comes off easily given the BLO treatments the bench gets a few times a year.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Might be the same stuff Mitchell's talking about. Don't remember the exact name for it but big rolls of it are over in the paint section next to the masking tape. I assume it's covering for mid-sized chunks of floor when a regular drop-cloth would be too big or whatever.
    Is it Craft Paper?

Thanks Ken, I'm going to check it out for sure.

I use red rosin paper from the roofing section--works good, then toss it

Ted,
    I use the rosin paper as well, it provides more protection than the brown craft paper. I like Ken's idea and will give it a try. Thanks Ken.
    David B

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the idea. I'm heading for BORG tomorrow to check it out.

Enjoy,

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    So. Calif. 5 miles to ocean

15. Newspaper or brown kraft paper here. I have linoleum on one workbench which I use to mix/thin/handle/clean all my finishing stuff. Cheap (remnants) and durable.