Thread: saw ID

saw ID

Can someone log onto Craigslist, philadelphia, tools Sept 1st. theres a
    Craftsman saw Delco/Havertown. Is that some well regarded old saw?

thanks

Not sure how regarded it is but that may be a better question for the OWWM site. For $200 though it might be worth checking out to see if it is a true cabinet saw (if you live close enough and need a cabinet saw).

I'm not familiar with that exact model, but it's likely that it's an American made saw. If so, should be reasonably well made. I like the full cabinet, but it's likely a contractor saw in an upgraded enclosure. I can't make out the model numbers or HP rating of that motor, but a GE motor would have been a decent motor in it's day. Isn't doesn't look to be in bad shape from the pics, and could make for a decent fixer-upper project for that price or a bit lower considering it includes a decent blade and mobile base. The top needs some sanding, and it'll need a miter gauge and a splitter. The fence isn't likely to be much to write home about. I'd probably offer $150... it can probably be made to function reasonably well. Parts should be worth close to $150, so there's low risk even if you end up selling it for parts. Wings, fence, handwheels, motor, motor brackets, insert, switch, body, blade, mobile base, etc., all have resale value.

Worth a look IMHO. Fire it up and play with it a bit... If it's running well, and you could pick it for $150-$175, and land a Biese fence deal (or other) in the $100-$150 range, and resell the original fence ($40-$50), you could end up with a nice saw for ~ $250 total if you're willing to polish it up a bit. Consider gas and hours you're willing to spend before making a decision, but I'd be tempted to spruce her up some.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 09-02-2007 at 7:11 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

If I had to guess, I'd say it looks like something vintage 70s. I base that on a couple of things. One, the logo appears more like one used back in the day (even before the '70s). Two, the web cast iron extension tables which were replaced (on contractors style saws, anyway) in the middle '70s. Three, the round circle thing on the table in front of the blade/insert is what they called an "Exacti-Cut", and was a plastic insert on which you could mark the actual cut line (left and right) of your particular blade for precision alignment of the work, and which was introduced in the '70s.

The fence looks to be utterly unremarkable. The rails from the '60s era saws had a gear tooth mechanism, purportedly for "fine tuning," it was in the '70s that they redesigned the fence (downward) a couple of times.

Sears had a "Professional" line of tools around that time which were intended to entice people into thinking they were big, bad boy tools on a par with Delta and Powermatic (which, they never were in their wildest imagination). This looks like it could have come from that line.

Unlike some people who think Sears ever made any tools really on a par with true pro tools, I don't think they're worth throwing any money at. Even for parts value, you'd still have to put up with the hassle of marketing and shipping the stuff.

I'd walk away.

John,
    I thought I had seen one similar before over on OWWM.

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=3972

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=2156

Early '50's King-Seeley manufactured saw.

I think this has the saw in it as well.
    http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/Crafts...54-Catalog.PDF

If it were me, I'd go for it!

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Bischel View Post
    John,

I think this has the saw in it as well.
    http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/Crafts...54-Catalog.PDF

Wes

Well, that just goes to show what our faulty memories and faulty conclusions are worth. I was only off by two decades. Looks like the Exacti-Cut was invented a lot earlier than I remember, too.

Thanks for that PDF. On page three is my (former) Sears Model 100 table saw. I downloaded the manual for future edification. I'll probably include something in the Graveyard section of my tools page on my website.