Name: Ed Scolforo

How young are you? Turned the big six-oh this March (pun intended).

Physical description: Short, dark and handsome, 5’6, (used to be 5’7), 155 pounds.

Where’s home?
Born and raised in the beautiful Berkshire Hills in western MA. We lived in Worcester, MA for a few years while going to school as well as Bristol and New Britain, CT, where I worked for a couple years.

Family information:
I have a wonderful wife, Marilyn, with whom I just celebrated 35 years of marriage; as well as a lovely daughter, Erica, who is a business development manager for a growing company in San Antonio where she resides with her husband, Brandon, a great son in law. No grandkids yet, but they’ll be working on that soon! ps: That dummy in the window was a sudden inspiration I had while in San Diego.

Scolf 01.jpg Scolf 02.jpg

Scolf 03.jpg Scolf 04.jpg

Do you have a website? If so, what’s the URL?
Nope.

Why not?
I dunno.

Vocation:
After high school my aunt talked me into trying hairdressing for a career. So I figured, great, what an awesome way to meet some ladies. Little did I know that most of them would have blue hair. I quit in a year and did a four year tour in the Navy. I then met Marilyn, got married, and went to school for Respiratory Therapy, which is what I’ve been doing ever since. Our motto is “your sputum is our bread and butter” (sorry).

Whaaa? No sputum pic? Sheesh.

Shop Overview:

My basement shop is small, about 22x15, and shares space with a washer, dryer, furnace and oil tank. I have a TS, router table, chop saw, band saw, DC system and the usual portable power tools.

How many lathes do you own?

I have a Nova DVR and a Jet Mini. The Nova was chosen for its smaller footprint and good performance. My next one would be Mustard (sorry Andy!).

Ha! You’re the one who’ll be sorry.

How many turning tools do you have?

I have the usual tools, my favorite being the Ellsworth bowl gouge. I’m also pretty much geared up for hollow turning with a captive system with Don Pencil’s hollowing tools, Jamieson’s D handle in a home made secondary rest. No laser yet. I need to get going!

How long have you been turning, and what got you started in the first place?
I started by making pens about 6 years ago. A big influence was a local turner, Warren Vienneau, a self taught turner who I used to work for a few hours a week doing prep work for some of the things he did at that time. I spent a considerable amount of time digging stones out of root burls. “Vinnie” is one of the best turners I have ever met. He turns full time and has stuff all over the world. You should check out his website.

What's your favorite topping for Moxie ice cream?
First of all, are they now making it lactose free? (No Way!!- ed) The last time I tried it, it wasn’t. It actually was good with raspberry sauce.

What do you enjoy most about turning?
Getting paid for the finished product.

What do you enjoy the least about turning?
Duh, sanding.

Do you belong to a turning club?
No, unfortunately there are none around here. Even though Vinnie is only a few miles away, I wouldn’t impose on him as he is extremely busy.

What was your first completed turned project?
You get bonus points for a picture of it. I’m sure it was a pen but I don’t have a pic.

What’s your favorite individual piece that you have turned, and why?
I like this one a lot. It looks like an apple and is made from apple wood.

What’s your favorite form that you turn?
Right now, bowls. I like the utilitarian aspect of it. I tried a vase or two and think I’m going to be fond of taller vases.

What do you not turn now that you want to - or plan to - in the future?
Hollow forms.

How do you take your Moxie? (Straight up? beer chaser? neat? with corn flakes?)
Any Northerner of good repute knows that Moxie can only be taken followed by a Sam Adams Summer Ale.

Yup. And in that note. Hang on while I head over the the ice box.