Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tracing Round Objects for Lathe Template

1. Good evening, I googled a question in regard to tracing spindles to create a template and it brought me to here. So with that said I went to click on the picture provided by you guys and it will not allow me to view it?
    any suggestions would be great.

Kind regards,

Tim

A couple of different ways to do it that are new to this thread.

1. If you have access to an old slide projector or overhead projector, the light is close to being collimated. That means that it will shine a distinct shadow that won't be fuzzy. A point light source would be similar if the point is small enough (ever hear of a "pin hole camera" ? It is similar.
    2. Find a shape that you like, turn one, leaving the ends square (extra wood). Then cut it down the centerline. You could either use this (flat) to trace a template or (depending how you would be doing it) could use it directly as your template.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy J Ziegler View Post
    Good evening, I googled a question in regard to tracing spindles to create a template and it brought me to here. So with that said I went to click on the picture provided by you guys and it will not allow me to view it?
    any suggestions would be great.

Kind regards,

Tim
    Tim, a few months ago they changed the rules and now require people to be contributors in order to see the pictures. The cost is low enough that even though I am a cheap skate, I ended up paying the small annual fee.

Please see video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-IyKXtp-eM

regards Brian

Maybe this video I did will help. It is about using a contour gage but also transferring to a storyboard which sounds like what you may be looking for. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0of5SjmVz3w&t=5s
    God is great and life is good!