Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting Veneer?

The difficulty I'd have with a cutter like that is the offset of the blade. You have to offset the position of the straightedge the proper amount to make an accurate cut.

I use single bevel knives. That way, I can put the straightedge on the line and put the flat of the knife against the straightedge.

The negative to the single bevel knives is that you have to sharpen them - they aren't throw away blades. But I don't find that too difficult.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    The cutter is useful for cutting the edge to join sheets of veneer together. And it's pretty trivial to measure the offset at each end of the cut. It yields perfect joints as long as you don't allow the straightedge fence to move or the cutter to tip away from the fence.

Have you tried a scapel? That's what a lot of marquetarians use for the window method. Scapels can be had with inexpensive disposable blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    The cutter is useful for cutting the edge to join sheets of veneer together. And it's pretty trivial to measure the offset at each end of the cut. It yields perfect joints as long as you don't allow the straightedge fence to move or the cutter to tip away from the fence.

Have you tried a scalpel? That's what a lot of marquetarians use for the window method. Scalpels can be had with inexpensive disposable blades.
    Yep, I started veneering using scalpels. The problem I had with them is that they're somewhat flexible and I didn't like that. The single bevel knives don't flex.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.