Thread: Here is what I did today. Don't be telling to everyone

Here is what I did today. Don't be telling to everyone

I felt pretty silly when I did it but I'll share it with you. I went to drill dome pocket holes. Did the set up as usual and when I went to do the first whole the bit would not go in at all (we are talking poplar) so as a normal male I decided to push a bit harder and then a bit more. Since the bit would not go in at all I decided to inspect the bit and see if there was something stuck inside the whole of the jig. Nothing was wrong. So I decided to step on a stool and lean all my weight on the #(&$)(**^% drill I figure that even if the bit was dull that was going to do it, but it did not. As you might imagine by now the one thing I did not look at was to make sure that the drill was spining on the right direction. So when making a whole make sure you check that before going for the stoll
    Anyway when that happened I thought I would put a smile on someones face and share the story. Don't be telling everyone about it.
    Regards,
    Alex

Even professionals will do this. Years ago, a cable installer came to my house to add a run to my basement. (Could have done it myself, but they would do it for free.) As he went at the brick facing with a 1/2" drill and two foot long masonry bit, I went into the basement to wait for it to break through. After about ten minutes of grinding, I went outside to see what was wrong. He was complaining bitterly about the hardness of the mortar on my house, when I pointed out to him that it would go much faster if he ran the drill forward. I left him alone to finish up.

Cool

Thanks for the light moment Alex. I just did that recently. Woodworking can be such a humbeling experience.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Years ago I responded to an ad for a Rockwell radial arm drill press advertised for a VERY low selling price.

When I asked why the price was so low, I was told it "didn't work so good." I went to look at it. The motor was rotating the wrong way. I bought it, fixed the rotation by wiring it properly and am still using the drill press today.

Larry

alex, thanks for bringing back memories of my first cabinet project with pocket screws: the wood is smoking but the bit just won't feed!

Alex,

I also attempted to drill pocket holes with my drill in the reverse position. And like you I pushed with all my might. To add insult to injury I convinced myself that something was wrong with the drill bit and went and purchased another and lo and behold had similar results.

After scratching my head for a little while I finally gathered enough brain cells together to check the drill direction

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Townsend View Post
    Even professionals will do this. Years ago, a cable installer came to my house to add a run to my basement. (Could have done it myself, but they would do it for free.) As he went at the brick facing with a 1/2" drill and two foot long masonry bit, I went into the basement to wait for it to break through. After about ten minutes of grinding, I went outside to see what was wrong. He was complaining bitterly about the hardness of the mortar on my house, when I pointed out to him that it would go much faster if he ran the drill forward. I left him alone to finish up.

I'm not arguing Brad but....I just don't consider cable installers "professionals".
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Wait just a darn moment. You mean to say that there is a directional thingie on the power drill? I thought it was part of the speed shifting section.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

For those who do this a lot, I think you can buy reverse-turning drill bits.

Cary

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios View Post
    I'm not arguing Brad but....I just don't consider cable installers "professionals".
    Here in the rural midwest, we're a little more generous about what we consider a "profession".

Quote Originally Posted by John Lucas View Post
    Wait just a darn moment. You mean to say that there is a directional thingie on the power drill? I thought it was part of the speed shifting section.
    Drills have a reverse switch

So if I drill a hole the wrong size or wrong place, I just run the drill in reverse, and it fills the hole back up, as if it was never there? Sweet!!!

Where do I find saws and routers with reverse switch????