Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handcut dovetails

Handcut dovetails

I have done a few handcut dovetails before, but have always been a bit disapointed with the results. Initially I decided to use Japanese saws because the idea of cutting on the pull stroke just made sense to me. I've had several years of semi frunstration with at least 5 different brands and types of Japanese saws.

So TLOML requested that I make a small sewing cabinet with a couple of small drawers. Just the kind of situation that calls for some half-blind dovetails. I was still getting disapointing results so I went to the local Woodcraft store and adopted a LN dovetail saw.

I took it home and immediately I noticed that I was able to cut right to the line with amazing control. The only minor problem I had was starting. It's much easier to start by pulling, but the end result was vastly better. I wouldn't put them on par with some of the amazing work I've seen by some Creekers, but they're good enough that I'll post pics...

I'm totally happy with the LN saw.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Don C Peterson; 08-26-2007 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Poor resolution pics
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Don, if you use a sharp knife or a chisel and cut a small notch in the waste are to be cut out, it gives you a little flat bottomed notch to start the saw in. It doesn't take much time to do and really improves starting the saw easily.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...=table+tutoral -the 8th picture down from the top shows the procedure.
    Last edited by harry strasil; 08-26-2007 at 3:02 AM.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Thanks Harry, that makes sense and I'll give it a shot next time.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Hi Don,

I've been making the transition from pull to push also. I find that making the cut with a stiffer blade and fewer passes feels better, and is more accurate. Very nice cabinet for TLOYL.

Looking at the image of your LN saw, the handle looks a little red. Do you know what wood it is? I thought they come in curly maple....

Ken

Blog Entries
    I have the LN saw and had trouble starting the cut also. I learned to lighten my first stroke, just barely kissing the wood.

I'm on the pull to push transition as well. I started with the Japanese saw and have since moved to a LN saw and now have rehabbed/sharpened some old Disstons. Just feels right in your hand doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Werner View Post
    Hi Don,

I've been making the transition from pull to push also. I find that making the cut with a stiffer blade and fewer passes feels better, and is more accurate. Very nice cabinet for TLOYL.

Looking at the image of your LN saw, the handle looks a little red. Do you know what wood it is? I thought they come in curly maple....

Ken
    When I would cut with the Japanese saws I would cut to the line nearest to me, but the leading edge of the saw (on on the other side of the wood) seemed to wander uncontrollably. With the western style saws I wonder if my accuracy doesn't have something to do with the fact that the leading edge of the saw is the one that you see and control... Just a guess, at any rate, I just know that on the very first cut the LN felt great and cut straight.

The handle is curly Maple, but it is kind of reddish, I didn't think that LN put any pigment on their handles, but I've never seen Maple that color either... At the Woodcraft store they had one dovetail and one carcass saw, both of them had the same color of handle.

having never used a pull saw and not wanting to, it looks to me like the round handle would be difficult to keep orientated and having no stiff back would tend to let the very flexible blade wander a bit.

just my 1¢ worth
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

I use Japanese saws with some success, having followed Mark Singer's recommendations and advice. One trick that I've found to be very helpful it to start the cut on the far side of the board, rather than the near side. Pulling very gently, a tooth will grab into the work but the pressure isn't high enough to cut yet. That "snagged" tooth puts the rest of the blade between it and the handle under tension, keeping everything nice and straight. Once the force of my pull is great enough to start the cut, everything seems to line up.

Paradoxically, the saws cut faster and cleaner the more gently I handle them. It's common advice: relax your grip, let the teeth do the work, the weight of the blade is enough -- common advice for western and japanese saws. But it took me a while to trust that advice all the way into my hands.

In any event, my inexpensive Tashiro's do the job for now. Maybe someday when there's a bit more geld in the family coffer I'll be asking for your advice on high-end western saws. That Lie-Nielsen is a real beauty. And for that matter, so are your dovetails!
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers --
    joined in the serious business of keeping our food,
    shelter, clothing and loved ones from combining
    with oxygen.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Toebbe View Post
    I use Japanese saws with some success, having followed Mark Singer's recommendations and advice. One trick that I've found to be very helpful it to start the cut on the far side of the board, rather than the near side. Pulling very gently, a tooth will grab into the work but the pressure isn't high enough to cut yet. That "snagged" tooth puts the rest of the blade between it and the handle under tension, keeping everything nice and straight. Once the force of my pull is great enough to start the cut, everything seems to line up.

Paradoxically, the saws cut faster and cleaner the more gently I handle them. It's common advice: relax your grip, let the teeth do the work, the weight of the blade is enough -- common advice for western and japanese saws. But it took me a while to trust that advice all the way into my hands.

In any event, my inexpensive Tashiro's do the job for now. Maybe someday when there's a bit more geld in the family coffer I'll be asking for your advice on high-end western saws. That Lie-Nielsen is a real beauty. And for that matter, so are your dovetails!
    Thanks. I hope I didn't come across as "badmouthing" Japanese saws. I know that many folks get wonderful results using them. As much as I like them in principle, I could just never get consistent results. I was just so amazed and pleased with the results I got using the LN that I thought I'd share my experience. FWIW I use my Japanese chisels to pare things up realy nice...

Quote Originally Posted by Don C Peterson View Post
    I hope I didn't come across as "badmouthing" Japanese saws.
    No offense given, none taken. I'm just starting to think that I'm going to have to try out some of these old-fangled western saws, too.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers --
    joined in the serious business of keeping our food,
    shelter, clothing and loved ones from combining
    with oxygen.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut

Don,

Nice looking cabinet and dovetails....great!

I just use the weight of the blade to start the first few strokes on the LN...starting the cut near the very end of the blade and it goes pretty smooth. VERY Light pressure is the key.

The saw will cut better and better over time....gets the burrs worn off I suppose...
    Again - nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Toebbe View Post
    Paradoxically, the saws cut faster and cleaner the more gently I handle them.
    This is very true. One thing that helped me out a lot with Japanese saws is to start at the far side of the cut, and then not look at the point where the saw contacts the wood. Instead, I look at where I want the cut to end, and trust that the pulling action of the saw will keep the blade straight.

Nascar drivers will tell you that they rarely look at the car in front of them. Instead, they focus on a point further down the track.

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    having never used a pull saw and not wanting to, it looks to me like the round handle would be difficult to keep orientated and having no stiff back would tend to let the very flexible blade wander a bit.

just my 1¢ worth
    I would suggest that you try one first, then. I find that using a ryoba gives me as straight a cut as any unbacked western saw, and that a dozuki, which does have a stiff back, can give a cut as straight as any western saw that has a back.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur Pan View Post
    I would suggest that you try one first, then. I find that using a ryoba gives me as straight a cut as any unbacked western saw, and that a dozuki, which does have a stiff back, can give a cut as straight as any western saw that has a back.
    Thanks for the suggestions, I have been trying to follow them, but obviously I'm missing something...

I'm not trying to say that western style saws are "better" than Japanese pull saws. All I can say for sure is that I tried just about everything to get a small dozuki (backed), two different ryoba (double sided), a Silky Tsubasa (single sided no back), and a kataha (single sided no back, flush cut) saw to work for me with decidedly mixed results.

I even bought an Angle Mag from Japanwoodworker and still couldn't deliver straight cuts more than 1" deep. Invariably, the saws would start veering off to one side or the other on the side farthest away from me.

Almost immediately upon unboxing the LN dovetail saw I was cutting more accurately than I had ever managed before. Without exception, the Japanese saws "felt" fine in my hand, and they all delivered a finer cut than I get with the LN, but what good is a fine cut if you can't also be accurate?

Whatever I was, or wasn't, doing I just couldn't get the pull saws to work consistently for ME. Your mileage may differ...and obviously does.