Thread: Jpg to Surf Cam/G-Code

Jpg to Surf Cam/G-Code

so i'm trying to do something kind of odd and i need your help. I'm rebuilding the walls on my bedroom and as it's in an artsy loft which gets extremely hot i figured i'd make a self ventilating art wall. to do this, i planned on taking a photo, editing it in photoshop to get a b&w image composed out of dots (drill holes), then tracing those dots in a vector program, sizing the vector output so the holes are slightly bigger then the drill bit, and then turning that into g-code using surf cam. my problem is that i have no idea how to do the last part. if i have a vector image correctly sized in b&w with just circles, how can i get this to a cnc mill that only uses surfcam? I've seen a few jpg to g-code programs out there, but to my understanding i can't directly send g-code to the mill w/o going through surfcam. (i may be wrong about that...which is why i'm posting). please help make my room awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Cimo View Post
    so i'm trying to do something kind of odd and i need your help. I'm rebuilding the walls on my bedroom and as it's in an artsy loft which gets extremely hot i figured i'd make a self ventilating art wall. to do this, i planned on taking a photo, editing it in photoshop to get a b&w image composed out of dots (drill holes), then tracing those dots in a vector program, sizing the vector output so the holes are slightly bigger then the drill bit, and then turning that into g-code using surf cam. my problem is that i have no idea how to do the last part. if i have a vector image correctly sized in b&w with just circles, how can i get this to a cnc mill that only uses surfcam? I've seen a few jpg to g-code programs out there, but to my understanding i can't directly send g-code to the mill w/o going through surfcam. (i may be wrong about that...which is why i'm posting). please help make my room awesome!
    Hi Vince,
    I have some experience getting vector images into SurfCam and it hasn't been that easy. I would open the bitmap image in Illustrator, manually trace the image, and then export in a format that SurfCam understands, DXF should be fine. Once imported into SurfCam, I would then replace each imported circle (which is actually a many sided polygon) with true circles. This will give the best final result. From there, post-process away.

Cheers

I don't know anything about surfcam.

All I know is a friend of mine uses a program called BMP2CNC to get images to his cnc router.

Might be worthless info, but that's all I can bring to the table today.