Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fell down the slippery slope!!

The WORLD is ROUND!!

Bob,
    Don't EVER apologize!! Although there are still a few folks who believe that the world is flat, an intelligent and growing few of us know that it is round. My old buddy Chris Columbus convinced me of THAT. Of course, Chris was considered demented in that he was a "turner". I remember helping him "turn" the masts on the old "Santa Maria". I don't recall who did the "Nina" and "Pinta". It's been a while and my memory is starting to fade a bit.

Dale T.
    Last edited by Dale Thompson; 01-27-2004 at 11:11 PM.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

That's right I've never been the same since

Exactly what I said! Look at Ace. He'll never be the same.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Karner
    That's right I've never been the same since

Bob, don't listen to Dale. The lathe has so addled his thinking that he even thinks the world is round! You do that stuff long enough and even nails will start to appear round. I'm serious! He may also give you his old story of "masts being round on our cruise ships". The only thing round was the edges where the roundover bit hit them. DO NOT fall for the stories of these guys. We may be outnumbered and watch out for the seductresses like Julie, but we can prevail. She is a sly one! But right always wins over left, right? Now they are doing it to me.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Thompson
    Bob,
    Don't EVER apologize!! Although there are still a few folks who believe that the world is flat, an intelligent and growing few of us know that it is round. My old buddy Chris Columbus convinced me of THAT. Of course, Chris was considered demented in that he was a "turner". I remember helping him "turn" the masts on the old "Santa Maria". I don't recall who did the "Nina" and "Pinta". It's been a while and my memory is starting to fade a bit.

Dale T.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Unhappy

We may be outnumbered and watch out for the seductresses like Julie, but we can prevail. She is a sly one! But right always wins over left, right? Now they are doing it to me.

Dave.......Buddy.......,
    It's OK, I'm on your side but you've got to cut down on sugar and cafine in your diet. Get a little fresh air. We non spinny types will be OK!
    Stay the course.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Thanks Tyler! I feel better after putting down the cigarette and coffee cup and running outside in a *straight, flat* course for a fresh breath of air. I do have to make one short turn, but do it abruptly with NO spinning motion.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    We may be outnumbered and watch out for the seductresses like Julie, but we can prevail. She is a sly one! But right always wins over left, right? Now they are doing it to me.

Dave.......Buddy.......,
    It's OK, I'm on your side but you've got to cut down on sugar and cafine in your diet. Get a little fresh air. We non spinny types will be OK!
    Stay the course.

Turning is way too much fun!

Hi,

All I can add is If the world goes round you should too!!

I love it, It's my greatest source of fun in the shop, right after dove tails!

take care,
    Jim

Jim, don't you try. Everyone knows the sun comes up and goes down. Those are both vertical *flat* motions! The earth just sits here like a big saucer.

I agree that is does look like fun. But how many clothes can you store in a pen or bowl? LOML is still letting me buy tools for that purpose.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
    Hi,

All I can add is If the world goes round you should too!!

I love it, It's my greatest source of fun in the shop, right after dove tails!

take care,
    Jim

I rise to nominate David Rose as President of the Flat Earth Society.

ace

Ace,

Now that's them most intellegent thing I have read in this thread.

Seriously, I can turn anything worth a crap besides a pen. I've never blown up a table or a entertainment center, but I have blown up just about everything that ever got attached to my lathe.

I better sick to mostly flat.

Terry

Oh ya.......Bob.....congrats...I guess.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ace, though I am greatly honored by your nomination, Terry has experience in both realms and is returning to the "right" way. Experience on both sides of the issue could be of considerable value. I'm also proud of you Terry. Keep coming our way buddy. You can lick that evil habit.

But, folks, I do need to clarify something. And I admit to guilt in this area too. "Round things" or "turny things" should be OK, but "spinny things" need to not come into the issue. Though I have a set of scarey sharp chisels, a couple of decent planes, and several scrapers, my knuckles do not drag the ground. At least not quite nor all the time. Most of my other tools have "spinny parts". Please do not say "spinny things" when talking about the unmentionable scrap wood defiling processes. Thank you for your cooperation. ...though I doubt at least one moderator will comply... But the unmentioned Ken is OK anyway... if he doesn't boot my enlightening post.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hatfield
    Ace,

Now that's them most intellegent thing I have read in this thread.

Seriously, I can turn anything worth a crap besides a pen. I've never blown up a table or a entertainment center, but I have blown up just about everything that ever got attached to my lathe.

I better sick to mostly flat.

Terry

Oh ya.......Bob.....congrats...I guess.

Boy! (and girl(s)) I just read through the Freedom Pen posts. I repent. You have me. All is round, except me. I did send a contribution instead and will send blanks if there is any value to relatively plain stuff. Somebody let me know. We need all the turny, swirly, spinny people we can get. If I could just buy a lathe, learn to use it turn a bunch of Freedom Pens and take it back, I would do it for this effort. Our guys and maybe a few locals in these countries will love it.

Thanks for the fun! And thanks for the pen work.

David