Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Ranger - Dust Collector Remote - Turns on by itself...

Exclamation Long Ranger - Dust Collector Remote - Turns on by itself...

I have the Long Ranger remote control switch for my 1.5HP dust collector (220v). After a power outage, the dust collector turns itself on.

I called Grizzly some time ago to explain the problem, and they were aware of it and said that's just how it works.

Can I do anything to it to ensure that the remote control unit won't turn the dust collector on after a power spike? I can always unplug it, and when I will be out of the shop for a while, I do. However, there's got to be better way.

Thanks, Todd.

I think it happen to me once, I just it unplug when we go on trips. I wish it didn't do it either, but we've had a couple dozen outages since then and it hasn't done it again. Let know if you find out anything.

John

One way to make sure it never happens is have a breaker with a low voltage trip. If the voltage drops below a specified limit, the breaker will open.

The only problem with this is that I expect the danged things are expensive for 120 or 220 v systems. I'm used to seeing these in industrial applications.

The other option is to just put a switch by your lights. When you leave, turn off the power to yer Kemo Sabe at the same time.

Todd, is the switch on the unit a magnetic switch? If it is, removal of power should disengage it. Try this, turn the unit on and then unplug it. Now plug it back in. Did it start? It shouldn't. If it does and its a magnetic switch, then I would be looking at that switch. If it works as advertised then I would think there is something wrong with the Long Ranger control unit. I've been using a 110 V Long Ranger for about four years and we get a lot of power outages and I have never experienced the unit coming on after restoring power.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

I have had the same thing happen with my 220 volt unit a couple of times.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

JeffKranz Guest

Long Ranger Remote start

Todd,

I had the same problem and since my shop was 5 miles from home it could be running for days. What I did was go to Radio Shack and get a 110 volt ac relay and would wire it to the lights I always have on when I'm in the shop. This relay would sit between the long ranger and the dust collector. If the lights were not on in the shop the dust collector would not run. When the lights are on in the shop the dust collector works fine. I never leave without turning out the lights.

Hope this helps..

If you need a quick drawing let me know.

kranzj@buckeye-express.com

Mine doesn't even turn on anymore. The last time it was used it was turned on but wouldn't turn off. I unplugged it and now it won't work. Any suggestions?

1 of 2 things change the battery in the remote, I noticed that mine will do this if the battery is low. Or you may have to get a new remote check to see which frequency your remote is & get the same one. Penn State has them. This happens when you drop the remote to many times DAMHIKT. A safety pin through the hole on the clip on the back side & through the pocket on my apron took care of this problem.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Quote Originally Posted by JeffKranz
    Todd,

I had the same problem and since my shop was 5 miles from home it could be running for days. What I did was go to Radio Shack and get a 110 volt ac relay and would wire it to the lights I always have on when I'm in the shop. This relay would sit between the long ranger and the dust collector. If the lights were not on in the shop the dust collector would not run. When the lights are on in the shop the dust collector works fine. I never leave without turning out the lights.

Hope this helps..

If you need a quick drawing let me know.

kranzj@buckeye-express.com
    Is this for the 220 volt or 110 volt system? I have the 220 volt remote system.

My 220v unit has been flawless! We have had some power outages!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I've had the same problem in the past. I plan on using a 110V coiled relay to switch the power on my 220V DC. Then I'll use the 110 Long Ranger from my old DC to power the relay. I had planned on using a lighting circuit so turning off the lights would ensure that the DC will never go on. Great minds think alike I guess.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Jeff, I would like to see a picture. Not sure how the 110 relay would work for the 220 dust collector. Thanks, Todd.

Terry!

Being the totally coordinated - never make a mistake- klutz that I am, I can assure you that I have never dropped or otherwise abused my remote. However, every once in a while, a Gremlin gets into my shop and does things which reflect on my personal perfection.

Whatever, check out your "Instruction Manual" (the same information is printed on your receiver box) and try the, "Changing and matching the Frequency Code" of your transmitter and receiver. I have had luck with doing this on two occasions when some gremlin or pervert dropped or otherwise abused my Long Ranger Remote. I hope it works for you.

Dale T.
    Last edited by Dale Thompson; 01-27-2004 at 10:37 PM.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

I do not have this problem with the X-10 based system I use with the cyclone. (I also have it on a different "house code" from the stuff in the house to avoid "accidents" when pressing buttons in there!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

What system is this that you have? I am putting together a cyclone but I have a 240 V/ 5 HP motor I gotta switch off and on and I haven't found any remote systems being able to handle that size of motor.

Thanks
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.