Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plotters, Cutter and Ink Jet

Plotters, Cutter and Ink Jet

Any one have any opinions they would like to share?
    Is it a mistake to get a small vinyl cutter?
    What brands are the best for parts and service?
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

When I started in 1993 I had a 15" plotter for vinyl cutting. After a year or so I upgraded to 24". Currently I have two 24" and one 30". It really depends on what kind of work you do. In my case a lot of signs I do are big enough that I always use at least 24" vinyl. For the small stuff I save scraps that I can use because I have friction feed. People that use 54" plotters typically are doing a lot of billboard type signs and vehcile wraps. With the 30" it's only one seam so to me not worth the extra money and space.

Pretty much the same applies to large format printers, though the seams are harder to match up and more obvious if you have a smaller one and do a big job. I have stayed away from printing. I have a good relationship with a company that does just printing with 60", and trade work. I do vinyl and laser for them, they print for me.

For plotters I have found the best for heavy duty, 8 hours a day work to be the Graphtec. For the money, for someone starting out, and in my case for a backup, the Copam from U.S. Cutter is a real bargain. I had bad luck with Ioline a few years ago, and Gerber is expensive but good until it breaks down, then the parts and service are really expensive.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I just might look at the US Cutter Copam.
    Is 24" the best size to start out with? I could see
    where getting one too big is a mistake and one too
    small a mistake.
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

Yes, I'd do the 24". Another member recently bought that model and maybe he'll chime in.

If you get larger letters, say 30", you just cut them in pieces and overlap slightly when applying the vinyl. A 24" plotter allows you to cut up to about 22.5" and rarely do you need anything larger.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

Thanks Joe, that's useful advice. I didn't want to go to big or too small if I buy one.
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

Joe, it looks like US Cutter has several models. I'm looking on e bay and I can't tell what the one I'm looking at is. I'll get on their website.
    The Graphtec seems to be reasonably priced.
    Last edited by Brian Robison; 08-22-2007 at 4:26 PM.
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

The Copam I have here is the CP-2500, I think it's under $700.

Graphtec has an entry level machine for about $1,800, but their better one is
    more like $2,500 (my FC-5100 30" was $3,500).

Sammamish, WA

Copam 2500

I have had my Copam 2500 for 6 months and really like it. The software (SigncutX-2) bundled with it is also very easy to learn and use. Exports from Coreldraw perfectly. Was up and running in 2 hours and I had never seen a cutter work before that. Paid for itself with the first job.

Mike Ross

Yes, I have the Copam as well. Works like a champ for the most part. One thing Chinese machines haven't worked out well yet, in my opinion, is the communication ports. There is no USB, but rather a USB adapter, which I can't get to work and their tech support can't get to work for me either. So I'm forced to use a Parallel cable, but that's fine. However, it comes with a 6ft cable and I can't locate my machine 6ft from my computer. Bought a longer cable, high quality cable, and it only works 50% of the time. When it doesn't work, I have to roll the machine next to my computer and put the short cable on and then it works.

I had one small problem, they corrected it immediately, and I had to open the cover up. Open one up and you'll instantly go red in the face trying to understand how anyone would have the nerve to charge $3000 for one of these. There's just nothing to it. I think I paid $650 for my Copam.

I am happy with the Copam and if I had a big job, I'd buy another one without thinking about it. It's paid for itself many times over now and I've only owned it for several months.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I came to the right place....

I am in the market for a cutter and have been doing my research. Was looking at a CE 5000-60 24 inch but talking to a salesman today we talked about my interest to do sand blasting masks and that was where the 5000 couldn't do the thicker stuff and I leaned toward the 7000.

Was sniffing around eBay. What model Copam would do the 25 or 35 mil sand blast material? Back to studying.

Thanks,

AL

I will use Corel 12.

That's mostly a function of the maximum cutting force. On Graphtec's entry level 5000 series machines it's only 300 grams, on the 7000 it's 600g. The Copam 2500 goes up to 500g which should handle as much as 45mil stencil.

Are you planning to do large sandblast masks? With 3 plotters and a laser I find it's often easier with large jobs to plot the design on paper, apply to the mask on the substrate and hand cut. (Make sure the plotter can handle a pen, all of these do)

With very small copy none of my plotters will do as well as a laser for cutting stencil. Any text below about 1/2" I use the laser.

Sammamish, WA

So many choices....

I was leaning back to the 5000 series but the mask issue brought me back to the 7000 MK2 in a 24 inch for $2395 on special.

Never thought about printing on paper and hand cutting them.... That's interesting... I have a 30 and 20 watt laser. They don't get much use yet.

Thanks for the input.

AL

Ureka....

Looks like the Copam 2500 is the top runner in my list.

Missed the call back from US Cutter on the West Coast.... Glad I did NOT commit to a order today for the 7000.

I am planning to do a bunch of reflective vinyl and I am guessing it is no problem. What about the prism quality reflective? Don't plan to use that but just asking.

We have a inactive blue stone quarry on the property and I thought of sand blasting scraps for house numbers and tourist products in the future.

Thanks,

AL

Just got another a job which is really 3 jobs (3 different projects). Each project will pay for the cutter by itself.

I've read a lot of forums where people buy expensive plotters and bad mouth Chinese plotters. Maybe one day I'll understand the importance of a over priced name brand unit. Until that day, I'll just keep doing work and making money with my cheap Chinese plotter.

I wouldn't dream of buying a Chinese laser, but I'll take the plotter every day of the week.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Feel the same way....

I have 2 older Epilog units and read with an eye to caution about the Chinese Lasers too. Yet I have 2 Sears Compucarve units, Made in China and couldn't me happier. One has been humming all day making carved Bears out of 1 x 12 #2 pine scraps.... Tourist goodies...

Will order the 2500 on Tuesday. Glad I waited.

AL