Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MM16 owners................

MM16 owners................

I've never owned or used a bandsaw but in the next month that problem will probably go away. The LOML has given me a substantially loose purse string and I only want order one so I'm considering the minimax MM-16.

Any owners out there? Pro and cons opinions would be greatly appreciated!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken, the only negative I found with mine was the funky “mobility kit”. The bandsaw itself is sweet – it has great power and with the proper blade will resaw anything you throw at it.
    If you do a Google SawmillCreek search on I’ve gone mobile! you’ll see my solution to the one flaw.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 08-17-2007 at 10:36 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Been very happy with mine so far. I have had mine for a little over a year with know real issues. The only complaint is the mobility kit interferes with opening the lower door all of the way which makes blade changes harder than they should be.

The other issue that you have to plan for is having a 230V/30A circuit available, I had had that in my garage so that wasn't an issue for me.

I think you will be happy should you decide to get one.

I own one, and have been very pleased for nearly 2 years. I've probably put 200 hours on it. It's seen hundreds and hundreds of feet of wood resawn and never even broken a sweat.

It will create more saw dust than you can even dream of if you intend to resaw.

My only con I can think of is that the single 100mm port isn't sufficient for DC on this beast with the raw volume of dust it can and will create. Oh, and I do have SERIOUS dust collection power (5hp oneida pulling 12" sp through a 5" gate on the bandsaw @ 800cfm).

I would happily buy another without blinking an eye. The only pause would be to upgrade to an mm20 or mm24

You won't be left wanting more saw once you have this baby.

mike

The MM mobility kit excells at finding the high and low spots in your poured concrete floor.

As long as your floor is as flat as plate glass, the mobility kit glides as gracefully across the floor as Fred and Ginger..

er well.?

make that the Skipper and Ginger on a bamboo stage.

since you have a dedicated woodworking shop, you probably won't move your bandsaw much. If so, the mobility kit isn't bad for moving short distances

I like my MM16,

Cons:
    -The manual sucks (both printed and the online version)
    -Had the same electrical switch problems that others have had, but no problems since the replacement switch.
    -You'll either love or hate the Johnson Bar mobility kit. I hated it. Used Bruce's solution for a year (a good one too) but recently put a set of Zambus casters under it and it's even nicer.
    -The miter gauge is junk.
    -The plastic table insert on mine was far from square and level. Took a fair bit of filing and fiddling and it's still not entirely flat and level but not a show stopper
    -Generates a ton of dust when resawing but that's to be expected.

Pros:
    Cutting with it is an absolute joy, especially with the Tri-Master. Amazing resaw cut quality.
    I'd buy one again in a heartbeat

And if you need more enticement there's always this:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26027
    Last edited by Doug Shepard; 08-18-2007 at 2:45 PM.
    Use the fence Luke

Hey Ken,

I'm the odd man out on this one as i'm not happy with mine for several reasons.

... The entire lower guide assembly is held in place with 1 bolt. If you bind a piece of wood or misguide it the blade can move the whole assembly out of alignment, quite frustrating in the middle of a long cut.

... DC is poor. Even with a good sucker you'll see plenty of dust coming out of the top of the saw

... The mobility kit is a very poor design. You need to remove on of the wheels to change blades.

... The fence is also a very poor design. Making small adjustments is an exercise in frustration. The fence rides on the table, not the clamp bar, and it's easy to tighten it up out of perpendicular.

... The thrust bearings on mine froze up after ~20 hours use. The manual (useless) says nothing about care/lubricating them. I'll be replacing them in the near future.

... I also had trouble with the switch going bad but i hear that's been taken care of.

... On mine, the blade guard above the upper guides binds when i raise and lower it.

... So far i've been unable to get the upper guide bar to track in line with the blade. It's fine for about 8" of resaw capacity but any more than that and i have to reset the guides. Of course i seldom get wood wider than that.

... As already mentioned, the table insert is a piece of junk. Even the replacement they sent is worthless. I can't get it to sit flush with the table so some portion is always lower and it's good at catching what i'm cutting.

It's to the point that i hate the idea of having to use it and will look for alternate methods to deal with the task at hand.

Now having said that, once it's set up it has plenty of power for resawing and the Tri-Master works great on it.

Good luck with your decision!

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Owner. Satisfied. Love the machine...as well as the other MM stuff I own. Should you expect everything to be perfect? Probably not. It seems common for the Euro industrial stuff to be 'not perfect' off the pallet. (Although so far, my slider has been...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Have had one for 3 or 4 years and i like it a lot - primarily used for re-sawing. Biggest problem was the flatness of the table -
    jerry
    jerry

I currently own a MM24 and have no gripes...I did own a Agazzani B-24, it was also very good. I ask my saw to slice and dice and it does that with ease...

I like mine. No problems with it like the above posters have mentioned.

My 3 year old MM16 is the first BS I've used and owned and like it a lot. I never got the hang of setting the euro guides and eventually bought Laguna ceramic guides which I also like a lot.

Have owned mine for over 2 years - love it, was well adjusted when I got it and have used it for everything from re-sawing to detail work. Mobility kit is ok but I installed Zambus Casters and love them as well ( http://www.zambus.com ).

Great support from MiniMax as well, for a minor item on the MM-16 and a used lathe.

Good Luck - Bill
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

Buy it. You won't be sorry. I am thinking of getting the Laguna guides for mine tho.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Thinking Of Getting The Laguna Guides

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lee View Post
    My 3 year old MM16 is the first BS I've used and owned and like it a lot. I never got the hang of setting the euro guides and eventually bought Laguna ceramic guides which I also like a lot.
    Hi Dan,

I have an older MM 16 and have been considering the Laguna guides. Did you have to modify the lower guide bracket when you replaced your guides with the Laguna?

Thanks