Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clamp Storage??

Clamp Storage??

I am looking for ideas for a mobile clamp storage unit. I like many others have a collection of clamps from F style to pipe to Bessey. I would like the unit to be mobile and as compact as possible. It cant be wall mounted as there is no wall space left. Any ideas and especially pictures would be appreciated.

Here is my work in progress:
    [/IMG]
    If interested I can find which magazine I got it from. I did make a few changes along the way and am still adding parts as I think of them
    Lori K

Picture was cut out all I got was [/IMG]?

I hope this works better. I can't tell since I was able to see it last time.
    Lori K

Very nice Lori, looks like it works well.

Shop Side Cafe or elaberate out feed table for the jointer?

Here's mine you won't be able to duplicate it but it might give you some ideas. The bar clamp fit into oblong holes in the sheves.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Kevin French; 08-16-2007 at 6:46 PM.

Funny!! My youngest son just moved back to town and mom and dad get to store his stuff till he buys a house next year.
    Lori K

Lori, how dd my clamp rack get to your house???
    LOL, apparantly we read the same magazines. That design works well for me. I used mostly scrap to build mine, had to buy some 2X2's...had the rest.
    I don't remember which magazine that came from but I will look for it too.

Jeff

I had a trio of these left over from when my garage was automotive oriented. Used to house parts when tearing down / rebuilding engines. VERY heavy duty. I think they were from a restaurant supply place. Anyway, a sheet of plywood on the back with a couple of 2x2's to hold bar clamps, all others on shelves along with glue, fasteners, nail guns etc. An assembly cart. I use another with sanders, paper, planes, etc, as a prep for finishing cart. The third has my other mobile power tools and accessories. Routers, drills, all the battery chargers on a power strip, CS, etc.

They work good, but I wouldn't buy them for what I use them for now. Much cheaper alternatives are available. I just happen to already own them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Zonneveld View Post
    I am looking for ideas for a mobile clamp storage unit. I like many others have a collection of clamps from F style to pipe to Bessey. I would like the unit to be mobile and as compact as possible. It cant be wall mounted as there is no wall space left. Any ideas and especially pictures would be appreciated.
    If I was out of wall space, for the money it would be hard to beat this:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/h7800

I'm re-organizing the shop and am considering going to this and using my wall space differently. Downside might be that the longest clamp it will hold is 50". The front (longer) rails are 51" long.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The plans for the one that Lori & I both built were in the February 2006 issue of Workbench magazine.

Check out this from the Fine Woodworking Archives
    http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=24106
    (membership required to read the article)

It's basically an assembly table - the main part is low but has an upper section you can add to get more height. The clamp storage is underneath the table top - a series of PVC tubes run down the length of the table and across the width. You shove the long clamps in the tubes down the length and shorter ones in the tubes across the width and the clamp heads are exposed so you can grab them. The assembly top of the table hangs out over where the clamp heads go so you don't bump into them.

If you have room for another table, it could come in handy.

Heres an older thread on the same topic: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ighlight=clamp

You can see mine, which is similar to Lori's at the end. Whatever you do, design it bigger than you think you will ever need. Then throw that design away and make a bigger one. Mine is full and some of my pipe clamps are on a shelf in storage.

I'll second Matt's opinion. Since you can never have enough clamps it stands to reason your rack will never be big enough.

Also my rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard M. Wolfe View Post
    I'll second Matt's opinion. Since you can never have enough clamps it stands to reason your rack will never be big enough.
    I always like to correct that, since there certainly are circumstances where you can have enough clamps. What's important to know is that you can never have too many.

Here is my clamp rack (A New Yankee Workshop clone--hope this shows, preview sucks):

Last edited by Rod Peterson; 08-17-2007 at 3:29 PM. Reason: alternate image insertion

Also my rack.

I have no idea what happened to the images that appeared to have uploaded and showed once on preview. Very frustrating.

What happened to the old days when we could write our own HTML tags? They never failed me.