Thread: Playing around.....

Playing around.....

Did the money work this morning. So thought I'd see if I could make a Harry Potter wand. Well, not very good, but I imagine my niece will like it.

I like it too Bonnie! What kind of wood did you use? What's it length and did you use a steady rest of any sort to minimize wobble.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I'm not sure what the dark wood is, some kind of exotic oily wood (bocote, rosewood????). The lighter stuff is pacific yew. It's 13 1/4 inches long. I was going to try for longer, but I don't have a steady rest. So I was pushing it going that long.

That's a pretty fancy witch's wand. I hope your niece's conjuring is up snuff.

Beautiful wand! Those things are fun to make and over the course of my 3 year turning career I think that I've turned over 60! Yours turned out really nicely... your niece is gonna love it!

On a side note, although most of my wands averaged about the size of your wand I have turned them up to 16 inches without a steady rest and I have never broken one (although I have abandoned some due to over- thinning and the terrible vibration that ensued). The trick is to make your tools really sharp and turn at the fastest speed possible. I use a skew chisel and I turn with my right hand while supporting behind the cut with my left hand. The wobble obviously varies depending on the thickness... I found that +-1/2" tapering down to around 1/4-3/8" was about right!

If you needed to steady the work and don't want to use your fingers you can make a string steady rest! If you haven't seen one before, here is a digram of what I'm talking about http://www.neowta.com/Articles/stringsteady.htm and here is an article showing how it is used in the making of a trembleur http://www.lavieenbois.com/tournage/trembleur_eng.htm
    Isaiah 55:6-7

Expecto patronum! That is beautiful.

Not very good? That's a beautiful wand that any sorcerer would be proud to own! The dark wood looks like walnut from the photo.

Regards, Steve

Okay, here are a couple close-ups of the handle. The wood has a almost cinnamon smell to it when turned......

I think it's quite good! Better than others I've seen being sold recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie Campbell View Post
    Okay, here are a couple close-ups of the handle. The wood has a almost cinnamon smell to it when turned......

Very pretty. Cinnamon smell? Any chance it was imbuia wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Eddard View Post
    Very pretty. Cinnamon smell? Any chance it was imbuia wood?
    Anythings possible if its a heavy oily type wood. I got it in a box of exotic lumber end cut offs. The guy had so much variety he didn't know what half of it was.

Blog Entries
    You know, if you stretch that out a bit and change the handle slightly. You'll have light Saber.