Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: As an author is SMC a waste of time ?

As an author is SMC a waste of time ?

Author's Dilemma: As an author is posting on SMC a waste of time ?

I HAVE LOOKED BACK THROUGH THE VARIOUS SMC BAND SAW POST AND I AM “HORRIFIED” BY THE POOR QUAILTY OF THE INFORMATION PRESENTED. MISINFORMATION (with no scientific testing or accurate technical data) FROM VARIOUS ARTICLES, BOOKS AND CATALOGS ( sales pitch disguised at engineering and technical data) KEEPS BEING REPEATED OVER AND OVER AS FACT.

As an author I have a dilemma posting on SMC. Since Jan 2007 I have occasionally been posting or starting threads on SMC.
    I stated the thread “Damaged Band Saws from Over tensioning”
    Which is currently on page 4. Last night I posted on the thread “band saw tension gauge-crazy idea? (Which is currently on page 2) which is about using a caliper to tension a saw blade. These are the last two paragraphs:

“No field of woodworking has more misinformation than the band saw as it relates to tension and the standard tension mechanism. Although the feeler gauge and caliper method of measuring tension is theoretically valid the actual usefulness of this technique is doubtful. How many of you measure tire pressure to know how much fuel is in your tank? Theoretically you could measure either your car weight or the tire pressure to determine the amount of gas in the tank. Why not use the gas gauge?

90 percent of the time you can use the gauge on your saw with good results. For cutting thick material or if the blade is dulling
    go to the next higher setting. Just like the gas gauge in your car
    it is a “good enough” device.”

THIS SECTION WAS EDITED OUT BECAUSE IT CONTAINED MATERIAL
    FROM A PM TO ME FROM JOHN BAILEY AND MY RESPONSE. I DIDN'T
    KNOW THAT I COULD NOT INCLUDE PM MATERIAL. ONE OF THE COMPLAINTS WAS THAT I WAS USING MY POST ON SMC TO PROMOTE MY NEW BOOK.

It has taken me hours to write this, that is hours I did not spend in my shop trying to make a living. I have to wonder if this is a waste of time.

Mark Duginske
    Last edited by Mark Duginske; 08-15-2007 at 5:12 PM. Reason: Contents of a Private Message posted publicly

Mark,

I can only speak for myself. I enjoy ANY advice given by someone who is considered an "expert" or "very knowledgeable" in a particular subject.

The fact that you have taken the time to test, measure and report your results is very useful to "wannabes" like me. I'm able to take in all the information provided and make my own determination on hos to use it.

Your advise on the band saw has been very beneficial for me, as I'm sure for others and appreciate it.

I see no problem with you referring to the fact there is something out there (a book) that will describe things in more detail.

I, for one, would hate to see you leave and not provide valuable information.

Mark, I certainly agree with Bobb G and hope you stick around. Most of the folks who visit SMC are learners, and we look for experts like you to set the record straight.

Although I disagree with the choice to remove your posting, I understand the desire to avoid nasty confrontations. Sure, you are horrified to find bad advice cropping up, and are passionate about your craft. Sure you want to correct the mis-information. Perhaps a compromise would simply be to address faulty information with something like, "With all due respect, I must disagree with XYZ's post. My testing has shown blah, blah, blah."

Thanks for listening, and thanks for posting.

Remain on SMC

Mark:

I second the previous post - stay with us. While I rarely post, I do enjoy reading your comments and responses - especially those that challenge a commonly held belief. And I learn from them.

Someone will always take offense at comments no matter how carefully they were worded. That tends to be the nature of open forums like this. If members can't voice their opinion on a technique or tool, then I'd find the forum useless. I'd expect that most of us read posts and draw our own conclusions from them. Some agree, some don't. We should be adult enough to accept those who disagree and not take even poorly worded comments personally.

By the way, I also don't mind you promoting your new book since it gives me some idea what is in it and how it may be different from your older one. Thanks for the posts.

Doug

Mark,
    You MAY NOT LEAVE,
    You MUST POST,
    You ARE A VALUED MEMBER,
    You WILL CONTINUE TO SHARE,
    So there!!!!!
    Bill (darned glad to read your thoughts) White

Mark,
    Please stay and state your case. Facts are good...misinformation should be called out. The internet is becoming a magnet for misinformation because for some reason people think if it's written...it's correct.

I doubt that most took "not worth having" as confrontational...but I actually had someone get VERY upset at me when I said "Things that make you go Hhhhmmm"! As SMC has grown it has become VERY difficult to not write someone that will hurt someone's feelings. But your expertize is appreciated and important...and I hope you'll stick around.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

It's sad when people's fragile feelings become more important than FACTS.

Keep in mind that many people will read the information, formulate in their minds how they will process it, but never say a word. This is especially true when the subject is such that most don't have the background to refute or to agree with the message with any authority. (But sometimes, many will try to refute it because it goes against what they have read. ) Most that post have strong feelings on one side of the discussion or the other. If it's a touchy subject, then we get into flame wars.
    As a side note, I thought your mentioning of the book was tastefully done, and not asking someone to buy it. There are recent threads that the author is blatantly saying to buy his book, but don't get pulled. Maybe they haven't been seen by anyone that cares either way. (I'm in that category) But I encourage you to keep posting. I've said before that education is studying the different aspects about a subject, all sides, then deciding what you believe. Sometimes those views will change over time, other times not. Don't feel that everyone has to fall in behind your way of thinking for your information to be valuable. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I appreciate an educated, informed scientific posting. Don't let a few people spoil it for the rest of us. Keep posting.

Mark,
    Firstly, I guess I'd have to ask what your goal or purpose of posting on the Creek is...? That would predicate the answer to whether this is a waste of your time as an author. Are you posting here as an author, or posting as a woodworker with knowledge you are willing to share/divulge? We (or at least I) need not hear those answers, but I think they will help you answer your own question(s)....

I can't recall you using any of the posts I've read to solely plug your book, you've replied with information not "buy the book" for my knowledge. Take a poll on what book is most informative, helpful-useful on bandsaws.... betcha come out #1.

I'll chime in and agree with the above posters sentiments. Those individuals with the knowledge & willingness to share & help others are truly valuable assets here. I am constantly amazed at the breadth & depth of the collective community here. Your knowledge of the bandsaw is superlative! Please keep offering your knowledge to those that want it and disregard those that don't.

I have to admit I get a kick out of some of the posts here where the tit for tat spirals into the toilet. This is a forum for information sharing not for telling other members what brand of tool they have to have and why...IMNSHO. There are MANY genuine folks 'round here who appreciate the flow of information and don't get wrapped up in the b/s.

In this day & age of faceless communication there are numerous issues of misunderstandings, misconstrued wording etc.... much of the inflamatory things written here wouldn't be said in true face to face communication IMNSHO again. I realize Moderators etc are watching to make sure nobody is offended etc etc etc... but our society in general is all to easily offended. Collectively the world pretty much looks at us as spoiled whiny brats of a Nation, but to some extent we've earned that rep.... that's another subject all together.

Personally, nobody on any forum could hurt my feelings with a freight train. I don't know anyone here from a hole in the wall, why would I let them bother me in the slightest when they're 100's of miles away hiding behind a monitor?

Cheers,

Greg

As someone who's fairly new to woodworking, I have enjoyed your posts and found them informative, I have not thought you were here just to promote yourself or your book.
    If some have found your posts objectionable, I suggest they don't read them, as it seems you can't hardly post anything with out somebody finding fault with it.
    And if you want promotion, I suggest you look at a few others who promote their products here, both in the manufactures section where they should be, and in the rest of the forum.

Personally in this case, I think the mods might want to reconsider their actions, there are by far more that benefit from your posts than not...imho

Also if you go to another forum, please let us know, I would like to continue to read your posts.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

12. Ha Ha HA Ha There are times that it seems John Bailey has absolutely nothing to do with his time. So to fill the idle hours he trolls around looking for posts that contain the names of Administration officials or something else which catches his attention and then yanks those posts or threads because he fears political or some other turmoil.

I ain't saying that this is fact. I'm merely saying that there are times that I get that impression.

I am sure he's really a great guy but he does seem a tad over zealous.

But, what are you going to do?

The law (federal courts) says that when you are on the internet-S in a forum or chat room that there are no civil rights, no right of free speech, no right to be heard, no right of handicapped access, not even any rights against discrimination. The courts have been brutally clear.

I for one was surprised that the courts have been so very clear and ruled the way they did. I expected a more PC approach. Nope. So when John Bailey yanks your thread he is completely entitled to do so and your only recourse is to complain to management (assuming you are that upset about it).

When I get a thread yanked (and they do), I just let it go. What are you going to do. Get an ulcer?

If your mission is to inform the woodworking community, then stick around. It is unfortunate but true that this medium gives experts and idiots the same voice. However, having been on SMC and Woodnet a while, I have learned who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't. I suspect this is true of most other long term active members. The thing to do is just state the facts and let your credentials and knowledgeable comments speak for themselves.

Mark,

I have your book. It was my "go by" when I got my bandsaw. I still go back to it when it's time to tune it up. I've authored articles in a different field and understand your frustration to "soft science" reports and/or personal opinion that has become anecdotal "fact". You just have to learn to live with "those folk" and keep presenting the facts based on "rigorous" science. Keep the faith. When I read Dale Carnegie's book on "How to win friends and influence people" I understood that even though I was correct, I wasn't doing myself any good by confronting "those folk" with the truth or facts. I had to learn to present the truth/facts in a manner that would allow them to "save face" and come over to the truth without losing their dignity. Confrontation isn't the best way to do that...usually.

I agree with the others...you can't go!!! We absolutley want and appreciate your input. Don't let the "soft science", "false science" stuff bother you. It will become clear to us which is what.

HI Mark. First off, I think your wealth of knowledge is worth contributing to the members of SMC. I have you new band saw book and find it to be the best I have seen.

Several months ago we had a lively discussion regarding the gauges used to measure blade tension. I will not go into any details regarding the discussion, but I came a way thinking that you are a gentleman and a learned woodworker.

I suspect that you are undergoing a 'build of credibility' here on SMC. For example Micheal Dresdner is the de facto final word on finishing over at Wood Central. I suspect he had to build that reputation over time. You may think why should I bother with these people? That is up to you, but many of us would like to see/hear from you from time to time, and that in turn would strengthen your word/respect here on SMC.

Please do hang around, we do need your help and guidance.
    Best Regards, Ken