Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: As an author is SMC a waste of time ?

I think it is ridiculous to assume that a PM, once sent is any more confidential than a letter.

I also think it was an example of over moderating.

Sometimes folks get more caught up in the rules than what the site is supposed to accomplish - to inform woodworkers and allow for exchange of information.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Mark,

There's that condescending attitude once again. There are over 650,000 posts here and many contain pictures of projects that are truly amazing. I doubt you will live long enough to sit in your chair and view just our current threads and enjoy the talent that is here at The Creek.

The social club aspect is just a nice bonus around here.

I can't believe that your negative comment about so many talented woodworkers here will help your book sales.

It just really seems that unless someone wants to (edited by request), posts are edited and threads are moved. Mark is a highly talented and very knowledgeable individual who can bring much to -any- WW forum and yet he's chastised for stating facts and it just so happens that some people haven't appreciated his presentation of the facts. I've read these threads. Only a fool would interpret his highly informative posts as a venue to hawk his books. I can't believe that you are, once again, willing to drive off talented and knowledgeable individuals because they aren't "nice" enough for you.

And you wonder why (also edited by request, just not sure why it was requested).
    Last edited by Wendel Aaberg; 08-16-2007 at 3:21 PM.

Well, this has degenerated into silliness, IMO.

Gonna leave 'cause the Mods are too mean.
    Gonna' leave 'cause the Mods are too slack.
    Gonna' leave 'cause my feelings were hurt.
    Gonna' leave 'cause someone else's feelings were hurt.
    Gonna' leave 'cause there's advertising.
    Gonna' leave just 'cause.

Mark, post or don't post--suit yourself.
    Others, leave or stay--suit yourself.

Everyone else--Thweet!!! Out of the pool and back in the workshop.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendel Aaberg View Post
    It just really seems that unless someone wants to (edited by request), posts are edited and threads are moved. Mark is a highly talented and very knowledgeable individual who can bring much to -any- WW forum and yet he's chastised for stating facts and it just so happens that some people haven't appreciated his presentation of the facts. I've read these threads. Only a fool would interpret his highly informative posts as a venue to hawk his books. I can't believe that you are, once again, willing to drive off talented and knowledgeable individuals because they aren't "nice" enough for you.

And you wonder why (also edited by request, just not sure why it was requested).

Did someone ask you to edit somthing??????

Read your post and didn't see any issues with it. I'm thinking the wadding is deeper then I had suspected.

Simple question. Hopefully objective.

These controversies we invariably have no matter who the participants are.....are they started by the moderated member? Are they started by the otherwise non-public speaking membership through private complaint? Or is it in the presentation of moderating?

Something is askew and unaddressed as these things don't go away and they return in the same fashion each time, in that point of order there is a consistency. These forums are about learning, not just about WW.....why are some missing the lesson and then it has to be repeated?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lawler View Post
    I think it is ridiculous to assume that a PM, once sent is any more confidential than a letter.
    So what do you suggest the Private in 'Private Messages' means?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Childress View Post
    Well, this has degenerated into silliness, IMO.

Gonna leave 'cause the Mods are too mean.
    Gonna' leave 'cause the Mods are too slack.
    Gonna' leave 'cause my feelings were hurt.
    Gonna' leave 'cause someone else's feelings were hurt.
    Gonna' leave 'cause there's advertising.
    Gonna' leave just 'cause.

Mark, post or don't post--suit yourself.
    Others, leave or stay--suit yourself.

Everyone else--Thweet!!! Out of the pool and back in the workshop.
    AMEN!!!

Nancy (127 days)
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Funk View Post
    So what do you suggest the Private in 'Private Messages' means?
    I think as I understood, the point was that if you got a letter from your Congressman and for whatever reason it made you got to the Newspaper, is that wrong? Once I get a letter, it is mine to do with as I wish. If it is from a personal friend, I might choose to keep it private. But most folks don't do that either.

A private message is one that is not posted in public, it does not imply that it will forever remain private. It all depends on the mores of a given group/persons

What I have always know to be....even before the Internet. Maybe we should have TOP SECRET self destructing messages for those who would say something in private to someone that they wouldn't say in public.....Under the TOS though, I just don't see how that is possible. KWIM?

Edit in red, sorry.
    Last edited by Mike Dauphinee; 08-16-2007 at 4:24 PM.

This thread is being closed as it is not serving any purpose except to allow a very few to cause nothing but trouble.

I will make an announcement in a couple of hours detailing our decision cocerning recent problems and how we intend to not only deal with the current sense of unrest but prevent it in the future.