Thread: when your fence is better than your saw...

when your fence is better than your saw...

Thanks to the recent Lowe's closeout of Biesemeyer fences, I now have a fence that is much better than my little Delta Ts300 (formerly 36-600). Has anyone tried mounting a Biesemeyer to something like this? Am I just an idiot for even trying?

I put a 50" commercial Biesemeyer fence on a Delta 36-630 about 4 years ago and have not regretted it. The saw does lack power at times, but it was a dramatic improvement over the original fence. The saw mechanical mechanism was tight and alignment of the blade to fence worked out well. I made the side extension as described with the fence instructions and added a router insert later. It was quite an improvement over the original cheap fence and 24" capacity.

Congrats on the fence purchase! I added a Biesemeyer fence to a Craftsman saw, (Saw belonged to my grandfather). I am very happy with the fence. While the orignal mounting holes did not line up, drilling new holes just required some careful measurements.

I put a MuleCab Accusquare fence, as well as a few other mods, on my Craftsman TS. Sure, it would have been better to buy a better saw to begin with, but I have what I have and it works quite well. Having a good fence makes all the difference.

Heh! Beat this!! (Not Biese but applicable!)

Always remember that you are unique...just like everybody else.

Think of it this way (if your married). With a better fence, all you have to do is justify a new table saw to the spouse, not the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    Think of it this way (if your married). With a better fence, all you have to do is justify a new table saw to the spouse, not the whole thing.
    There you go!

One piece at a time. That's how you get it done.

I picked up a Delta TS-350 earlier this year for $100 and put a Vega fence on it for I think another $150 or $200. The saw has worked well cutting 4/4 ash, cherry and hard maple. Sure it is a $400 saw that I go ta great clearance deal on, but the fence was not something I found easy to adjust as close as I wanted. So I added the fence, and some good Infinity blades that also cost me (total) more than the saw. Since I only used a Dewalt portbale with lesser blades prior to this, I am in heaven.

Would some think I am foolish/crazy? Sure! But I am better off than I was, and still have money for wood.

Karl

I just got my first saw about 3 weeks ago! A friend gave me his Rockwell Delta Contractor Saw since he had not used it in years. He upgraded to a Unisaw years ago. Now my free saw has a Forrest blade and stiffener that I bought off ebay and a new Beisemeyer Fence thanks to Lowes. So, I now have still less than $300 in my saw!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Brian Erickson View Post
    ... Am I just an idiot for even trying?
    I'm another very happy idiot.
    Just put $80 Beisemeyer fence on my Rigid 3650 TS (one that Home Depot sells.)
    What a difference!

Now I'm thinking how to utilize the existing fence which is not so bad either. Any ideas?

I don't see why you wouldn't --how can a fence be "too good" for a saw? Unless of course the fence causes the saw to collapse Just keep your old fence so you can reinstall it should you ever decide to upgrade. The fence was most of the reason I got rid of my old Craftsman saw. Paying full price for a new fence didn't make economic sense, but for what you paid it makes sense to me.

I would say the fence is more important than the saw anyway. Great upgrade.