Thread: More Inlay Questions

More Inlay Questions

Here's a simple one I just unclamped, still have to sand and finish it. This is a typical quilt star block, which my wife suggested I do, and try to sell through quilt shops. I mitered the corners of the border to save material but now I think it looks better that way.

I do have a couple of other questions. Since I find it a pain to use masking tape until they are all glued, then clamp, what are good sources for smaller vacuum bags? I really only expect to need one that will hold 12"x24".

Also, do you think it's a good idea to engrave the names of the various woods on the back of the piece?

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Joe

Nice job. Can't help on the vacuum bag but I like the idea of engraving or labeling the varieties of wood.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Nice Joe. Veneer supplies... joewoodworker.com

A quality bag will cost $50.00+, but I wouldn't do without any of mine. I recommend veneer glue, also. Thicker (be sure to stir it each use) and bigger particles for less soak-through thin stuff.

Neat trick on this kind of thing, run 1/40" black dyed strips around the parts before assembly (leave room in the patterns). Makes the woods pop and takes just a few minutes with a razor blade and 'fast' CA glue.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Thanks. I see they have kits to build my own, probably better than buying the whole setup that's way bigger than I need. I have had problems with glue causing it to curl so I'll try the veneer glue too.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

More Inlay Questions

Nice neat job Joe. Very pretty burl too. I would re-orient the oak grain to go straight away from the center like sun rays. Nice tip from Mitchell. I always used veneer tape to assemble a project with a lot of small pieces unless I had a one piece field and assembled it one piece at a time. Can't beat a vacuum for a clamp.

I see your point on the grain. I wasn't thinking about it and what you suggest makes sense and will probably get me a better yield from the veneer.

Sammamish, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    Since I find it a pain to use masking tape until they are all glued, then clamp, what are good sources for smaller vacuum bags? I really only expect to need one that will hold 12"x24".

I back stuff larger than that and just use poly drop cloth seamed with plumbers tape. I also have a large formica drafting table that I pull a vacuum on the same way that works really well. Not need to buy fancy bags... just heavy plastic and works great.

Pinnacle ZX Explorer II
    40W, X3
    Vinyl Express Lynx 24"
    Epson 4800 Dye Sub Hybrid

The bags are cheap...if you already have the vacuum pump.

Rockler sells a hand-pumped widget (intended for gluing skateboard blanks, I think) that works fine for stuff that size.
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...&filter=vacuum
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Joe, get in with someone who goes to the local quilt expos. These are all 1/4" thick pieces. It doesn't hurt sales that Peggy is a quilting instructor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Joe I drove over to Rockler last Friday and bought 8 bundles of wood. WOW thanks for the tip that was a great price. I usually shop at the Tukwilla store but it was worth driving up to the Stone street store. They had over a 100 bundles.

I love your first try it looks great. Thanks for posting this tread. I'll have to read all of it so I can learn the tricks. I've got the wood now and need to get the smarts to make it happen...
    Carol VanArnam Epilog Helix 60w, Corel 12, I like chocolate.....

Joe, nice work! Looks very effective
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Majewski View Post
    Joe, get in with someone who goes to the local quilt expos. These are all 1/4" thick pieces. It doesn't hurt sales that Peggy is a quilting instructor.
    Very nice, Tom. My wife teaches too, at a local quilt store, and I have customers that I make acrylic templates for that do shows. If I can come up with some good work I should have ways to sell them.

Sammamish, WA

More Info

Joe / Tom/ Mitch :

More info please on how you do these. I do deep veneers 0.070 - 0.125 thick. I would like to get into thin veneer inlays.

Do you just do a shallow raster cut then glue the veneer in place?

I worry that doing it that way does not leave enough material to sand.

In this I used birch plywood (3 ply) as the backing. I experimented to get the settings to rastor it out to the proper depth. The Sapele Pomelle (top, bottom, L and R in star) was thicker so I engraved those a second time.
    They are still a hair higher so will have to be sanded down but all the rest is pretty close to flush.

Some of the veneer I have is 1/42 and that doesn't leave much for sanding, luckily I have been able to find a good amount of older thicker stuff.

Sammamish, WA