Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check This Out!

Check This Out!

I'm betting your first thought looking at this is out of focus and burned the heck outta the tile, right? It's a lot more unlikely That white is actually a background Silestone piece. What you're looking at is the glass lid of the laser! It's burned at least 1/4 the way through, luckily I never walk away and I'm always observing the process. Got it shut down as fast as I could when I realized what was happening. The laser reflected off a piece of stainless, never happened before, can't believe it did this kind of damage in such a short time. It happened in about 2 seconds. If you had bet me last week this could happen on such a low power machine.......It does underscore why you shouldn't walk away though, if I had, I may have come back to my ceiling on fire
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog Mini 24 45W/various other dangerous implements the wife has ok'd over the years

how long did it take for that to happen?
    ULS M-360 35W, Corel X3

Thank you for this lesson Eric. I'm one of the guilty ones who walks away sometimes. I won't be doing that again.
    Sorry to see your machine looking so poorly though!
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Epilog Helix 45W, Corel X3, Adobe CS3

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Hogarth View Post
    how long did it take for that to happen?
    Very short, within 2 to 3 seconds. I was right on top of it once I saw the black forming on the glass.
    Epilog Mini 24 45W/various other dangerous implements the wife has ok'd over the years

Hey Eric, you aren't the only one, I have a similar mark on the underneath of mine but I was being stupid! It was in the first couple of days of having the machine where you experiment on just about anything that doesn't move. I had a cupcake tin and I wanted to know what would happen if I hit it with a high intensity beam. Now I know, it bounces off and back up onto the safety glass. I too never walk away, this is why, think of it as a blessing. Another item to be aware of. It is possible to remove the safety glass, rub the area with very fine wet and dry and polish it out.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

I got a pair of safety googles with my laser. Have yet to do anything like that to them.

They are still safely stored out of harm's way, in the wrapper....
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    I got a pair of safety googles with my laser. Have yet to do anything like that to them.

I think it's Edmunds Scientific that has those warning labels that say "Do not look directly into laser beam with remaining eye".

This conforms what some of us said in the old controversy about whether or not to engrave bright metal or mirror, it does reflect back in at least some cases, so best to avoid it altogether.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker View Post
    Hey Eric, you aren't the only one, I have a similar mark on the underneath of mine but I was being stupid! It was in the first couple of days of having the machine where you experiment on just about anything that doesn't move. I had a cupcake tin and I wanted to know what would happen if I hit it with a high intensity beam. Now I know, it bounces off and back up onto the safety glass. I too never walk away, this is why, think of it as a blessing. Another item to be aware of. It is possible to remove the safety glass, rub the area with very fine wet and dry and polish it out.
    I wish this could be polished out. It blasted right through the glass layer and into what I assume is plastic inside. It's all bubbled, burned, and cut into somewhat. Still can't believe how fast it happened. Strange, 'cause I've done stainless with no problems before, but this WAS a higher polish level, so I suppose it ranks up there with doing a cupcake tin

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post

Hmmm...Maybe I should send you my address...

Quote Originally Posted by David Epperson View Post
    I think it's Edmunds Scientific that has those warning labels that say "Do not look directly into laser beam with remaining eye".
    I love that! Maybe I'll get one to put over the spot

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Allen View Post
    I love that! Maybe I'll get one to put over the spot
    I think I have the .cdr file for this one.. I have it stuck to the front of my machine..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Ha ha ha - excellent!
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

I read it not so much he was lasering the stone, but rather he used that as a background so the burn mark would show up in the photo. I could be mistaken, but that's how I read it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Eric,

What color SileStone? I have worked with SileStone since 1998 and I'm not aware of any "color" with stainless in it. Several of the colors do use recycled glass and mirror chips. Is it possible the beam hit a mirror chip, instead of stainless?
    It was just a background so you could see the spot. It would have been a very boring picture otherwise I love the little angel tag, I keep meaning to have the Mrs. give it a look I haven't been working a lot in Silestone, though I'd kind of like to. I've got a few hundred of those pieces around and it can make for interesting stuff, though color filling seems to result in little bits of rub-n-buff that I can't get out of the surrounding material, pesky pores Maybe you have a hint for that?