Thread: American Router Magazine-Review (long)

American Router Magazine-Review (long)

After I couldn’t find it in my local book stores…I got a subscription to American Router based on its cancellation policy. An email exchange with the editor, Alan Goodsell, made me take a shot. I received the January/February Issue 1 yesterday and here’s what I think.

The first thing I noticed, as I scanned through it, was the interesting layout. Its caulk full of pictures and sketches which is always good. The other noticeable thing is the busy pages, which at first bothered me, but grew on me after a while. The larger titles, different colors, and bold fonts helped the old eyes. Also…the tops of the pages are color coded to match the index which is an interesting concept.

The mag is broken up into 5 main sections. The first is “Regulars” (orange) and it contains 8 chapters which include editorials, news, tips and tricks, letters to the editor (how does the first issue get letters to the editor?), reviews, etc. The second is “Projects” (blue) and it contains…well the projects. Third is “Technical” (red) and it contains specific information on things like how to make raised panels on MDF, a jig for large curves, and basic router bit geometry. The fourth section is called “Feature” (purple) and it includes a page on woodworking on the web (which didn’t include SMC btw) and a good explanation of the math of the Golden Section. The last section is labeled “Tests” (green) which is self explanatory.

Now… what do I really think about it you may…or may not…ask?
    Well…I basically like it. I think in general it was well written and detailed enough that most workers will get something from it. I didn’t put it down until I went all the way through it…which is a good sign. The 4 page chart of the entire existing router population (or close to it I guess) specs was interesting. The detailed explanation of the Golden Section was excellent and something all woodworkers/designers would benefit from. The workshop vacuum holding fixture was interesting.

Little things I didn’t like?
    It has some rough edges that may just be personal. Even though I got over it after awhile I still think it kind of felt like a cruise brochure. It is the first issue and I’m sure they are trying to advertise it…so it may settle down a little. Ads are huge and overpowering.

I will always question tool reviews that exist within the same mag as their huge ad. I know…I know…they have to make money somehow…but it’s always going to be questionable if the review is unbiased.

As far as the projects go…some are weak…some are good. I guess there are few mags that get me excited about projects nowadays. I doubt that I will look forward to this mag for most of them. Maybe it’s just me…I’m no wiz with a router…but I had to look deep within each project for something of substance. It's not the biggest part of this mag anyway.

A small pet peeve of mine…breaking up chapters so you have to go searching in the back to find the end. You know…(continued on page…). It only happens a couple of times…and maybe it’s just me anyway.

So…FWIW…bottom line... I’ll keep the subscription because I like the technical information content. I can always learn more about how and what routers can do. If a project comes along I like…that’s a plus. I think it has potential and look forward to see how it evolves.
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 01-24-2004 at 9:14 AM.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Thanks for the review. I'll have to hunt up an issue now.

Glenn,

Thanks for taking the time to do such a detailed review. Dave.

Haven't seen the magazine but would like to offer one comment.

It is not unusual for a magazine to go all out on the first one or two issues. Putting more stuff in and more pages. Making it more article than advertising. Then about the second or third issue you start seeing one or two articles that are worth while and the rest a bunch of filler stuff. It will be interesting to see how this one turns out.

Good review Glen.....I had wondered about this magazine for some time now and I guess I'll wait until next year to see if it is still around and if it has improved any. Thanks for taking the time to do the review.!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Thumbs up

Glen
    Thanks for the detailed review
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

American Router is listening in...

Hi Glenn,
    Thanks for sending me the link to your posting on SawMill Creek forum - it is not a forum I have seen before but will keep an eye on it in the future. I appreciate your honest opinions and those of your fellow posters and hope we can provide you all with a magazine that you will like and get information from.
    Best regards
    Alan

Alan Goodsell
    Editorial President
    Lightning Publications, LLC
    550 North Reo Street
    Suite 300
    Tampa, FL 33609-1065
    Phone: 813-261-5129
    Fax: 813-261-5121
    www.americanrouter.com
    Email: info@lightningpublications.com
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Some thoughts

Alan Goodsel was the editor of the UK magazine "The Router" which was generally adequate while he was there and became simply apalling after he left.

The single tool nature of the magazine has always bothered me. I am pretty sure that nobody would by "The Tablesaw" magazine for any length of time and it is probably at least as versatile a tool.

My own relationship with "The Router" is that I pick it up every now and then to see whats in it and 99% of the time put it back on the sales display.

You might squeeze enough interest out of it to make one years subscription worthwhile but I think it would be pushing it after that.

I know that these thoughts don't apply directly to "American Router" but they do reflect experience of a publication with similar aims and at least some shared pedigree.