Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inch/pound torque wrench...Sears or Harbor Freight?

Inch/pound torque wrench...Sears or Harbor Freight?

I need a torque wrench for maintenance of my Bryd Shelix cutter head. They specify 55 inch/pounds of torque for the carbide cutters. Sears has one for about $60, Harbor Freight wants $17. I'm sure it will only see very limited use, when replacing or turning the cutters. Is the HF model likely to be accurate enough for this application? I don't think it would get enough use to wear it out, so my main concern would be accuracy. Please correct me if I'm wrong about wearing it out though. Thanks,

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I would look at the local auto parts store as well. I have a well stocked one that carries an import line of wrenches that are lifetime guaranteed and the prices are between Sears and HF.

HF has had them that were MARKED lifetime guaranteed, where as Sears are a 1 year warranty for non commercial use (90 days I think, commercial).

Having said that, I have several torque wrenchs (used to mechanic), and one high dollar one I bought, arrived when a friend of mine was going to get his calibrated (FAA requirement). I had done some work for him (free), so he took them and had them checked. The new one was WAY off, where as the HF cheapy that was bought in an emergency was right on.

The big thing is to remember to back if off when your done with it!

In this order:
    Snap On, Mac, Sears.

Harbor freight isn't on the list.

Dan,

For a piece of Carbide spinning at xxxx RPM I would buy the best one I could. Money doesn't always = Quality but I'd be carefull, you didn't go cheap on the Byrd head, don't go cheap on the tool to keep it tuned.

HD has Husky Brand and I think that it has a lifetime guarantee -- I bought two sizes a few years back and they work great.

Scot

Husky makes good tools. So does Matco. Of course, Snap-On is considered the best and you pay for it. Craftsman hand tools are also good and a good compromise since Snap-On and others aren't readily available; you have to find a dealer.

I used to work aboard nuclear powered aircraft carriers. The engineering department was strictly controlled by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. They used Craftsman torque wrenches in engineering.

Any decent torque wrench will probably do ya.

Lifetime guarantee on Harbor Freight Tools, LMAO, now thats funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    In this order:
    Snap On, Mac, Sears.

Harbor freight isn't on the list.

I agree whole heartedly with Cliff on this one, except maybe for the Sears one. Snap On first FOR SURE and then Mac but I'd evn go Matco before I'd go sears.

As an aside, a "Lifetime Warranty" or a "(however long) Warranty" will be for tool failure from most tool manufacturers, NOT for calibration accuracy necessarily. (Snap On, Mac and Matco DO warranty for calibration however during whatever warranty period the tool has which, with these manufacturers, is rarely an issue.)
    Last edited by Mark Rios; 07-31-2007 at 11:45 PM.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lenz View Post
    Lifetime guarantee on Harbor Freight Tools, LMAO, now thats funny.
    Is that based on experience or prejudice?

As someone else stated already, you could buy an expensive torque wrench and have it be calibrated wrong or a cheap one and have it calibrated right. Obviously buying a better brand will increase the odds of a good calibration. You can check the calibration yourself. Google "torque wrench calibration" and look at the first result for an idea how. This probably isn't ultra-precise, especially for a wrench measuring in inch pounds but will probably give you an idea.

You might check and see if you can borrow or rent one from an auto parts store. I think Autozone as a tool-lend program where you basically give them a deposit for the value of the tool and they give your money back if/when you bring it back.

I'm not sure Craftsman is much better than Harbor Freight these days. Knock on wood, I've yet to break a Harbor Freight hand tool (I have some big combination wrenches, a mallet or two, and a set of pipe wrenches .) I'm in Sears a few times per year replacing things like sockets, pliers, rachets and screw drivers and I don't really use them that much. I've bought some things from Harbor Freight I've been disappointed in and they've not hesitated to take them back--based on that, I'd expect the warranty would be handled in the store the same way.

Matt, I wouldn't dream of takeing a Harbor Freight brand tool back UNLESS it was broke or missing a part when I opened the box. I would just figure I got what I paid for, throw it away, and not do it again. You get what you pay for. Call me what you want.

I think the HF warranty is lifetime of the TOOL, not the user!

Dang fine print!

Lifetime warrt doesn't mean much unless they calibrate them under it also.

I have had the chance to use them a bit though out my life as a mechanic, drag racer, engine builder, whatever, I found the Pro series Craftsman just as good as the Snap on version and a bit cheaper, I would get mine calibrated once a year and found both of the one I owned to be very accurate, one was inch pounds, the other foot pounds.

Do they give ya a plus or minus on the toque specs?

Seems like a shame to buy a high end wrench just to use it once every blue moon, maybe find someone with one or rent one, hard to verify accuracy with these, but you'd probably be close.
    Especially if you borrowed from a good mechanic.

Other alternative is to buy the cheaper beam style and have it checked, you lose the fancy clicker to tell ya when you reached set torque, but depending on accuracy needed, it would probably work well, they used that style for many years and got by, willing to bet it'd work fine for you, and save ya some money.

Its all about how accurate ya want to be, and I'd think/bet either style of wrench would be accurate enough for this purpose.

Here's a few from Sears fwiw
    The first one looks like it would work the best for what you want, you like the required torque to be in the upper end of the wrench's capability if possible.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

Good luck either way.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

I have a deflecting beam torquer from Sears for 30 years plus. Used it on all the engines I used to build (MC roadracers). Nary a problem. Within the concept of all things being equal, at least I knew that the nuts and bolts were all torqued the same. Were they all set at exactly __lbs/ft ( and, by the way, what happened to foot pounds)? I don't know.
    I think that we tend to overthink some details. Is my table saw top flat to within .002? I don't ever recall having a board that flat for more than two days. Plus or minus .002? WHAT?
    I'll shut up now.
    Bill

"""""""""
    I think that we tend to overthink some details. Is my table saw top flat to within .002? I don't ever recall having a board that flat for more than two days. Plus or minus .002? WHAT?
    I'll shut up now.
    Bill
    """""""

I think its the "I try and be as accurate as I reasonably can whenever I can" thought, and that's all about what you consider reasonable...

Personally I like the tools as accurate as I can make them, I can control that, even if I can't control wood movement, and with accurate tools you only need to deal with the wood...imho

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.