Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: You know your addition project really is started when...

You know your addition project really is started when...

You know your addition project has really started when...the porta-potty shows up!

potty.jpg

Yes, today finally marked the ground breaking (well...more like ground relocation... ) for our addition project. While marking things out last week gave some indication of the magnitude of our project, the sheer size of our half-hole (hopefully a whole hole by the end of tomorrow ) really brings things home.

Of course, you have to start somewhere, so Michael, our general contractor, finalized the top of the new foundation relative to the existing house before the excavation began. This was slightly challenged by some, um...errors...on the plans from the architect/designer. But Michael's a sharp fellow and after knocking a few holes in our walls to exactly locate floor levels, etc., it was off to the races. Well, would you believe a one backhoe leisurely walk?

top-of-foundation.jpg

And then there was...the first scoop.

first-scoop.jpg

I stuck around for the morning since I could watch the proceedings while doing some calls with my headset in place (and the mute on!), but had to head out to a face-to-face meeting in the afternoon. When I returned home late in the day, we had the aforementioned half-hole and some safety fence in place. IMHO, it may be close in getting the rest of the soil moved out tomorrow...there is still a lot of material to remove, even though this is only for a crawl space. But the slight incline in elevation makes it quite deep, nonetheless.

end-first-day.jpg

So...our weed pit has now graduated to a mud hole. (assuming some rain will happen sometime) That's progress!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Take a deep breath, Jim...and have some patience (it's pretty exciting though, isn't it?) The process may seem slow to you, but you don't want to unduly rush them. That'll sour the project quicker than you can say, "poor quality".

Oh, and if you really want good, hard, honest work out of them, treat the crews that come through to doughnuts and coffee fairly often (once every week or two on a Monday), and even buy lunch once in a while. That may seem like some extra cash out-of-pocket, but it will be worth it when you're done. When clients treat me well, I find it is much, much easier to go above and beyond. I'd like to say I can and do treat all my clients the same, but I'm only human...

Glad to see "it's really happening"!
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

The porta potty is a good thing. It'll save you from one of those "spackle bucket surprises" I encountered when I built my home.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

My how the Kubota has grown!

Glad things are moving along.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

YIPPEEE!!!!!

Now comes the fun part Jim. Watching the progress on a daily basis. I had to travel each day to observe our house being built. You are right there and will, I'm sure, be awake and ready for the crews before they arrive at 7 AM or whenever they start.

I can only hope that your contractor is as efficient, speedy and exacting as mine was. And here's hoping there will be few, if any, changes as you go along.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Blog Entries
    Good to see work getting started.... Keep the pictures coming.

ps: Good to have the potty in the shade. Most of them get set out in the open in the hot sun shine.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I bet you were beginning to think this would never happen! Great milestone. Of many more to come! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup View Post
    I can only hope that your contractor is as efficient, speedy and exacting as mine was. And here's hoping there will be few, if any, changes as you go along.
    Michael is extremely good at what he does and has stellar references. He pretty much only does high end work, yet because he treats his subs with respect, his budgets tend to be more reasonable than any number of other contractors in the area...the subs don't charge him the "abuse markup". This project is likely going to take about 6 months to complete from this week. But the end result will be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Oh, and if you really want good, hard, honest work out of them, treat the crews that come through to doughnuts and coffee fairly often (once every week or two on a Monday), and even buy lunch once in a while.
    That's good advise, Jason, especially relative to Michael and his direct crew. I already owe Michael lunch for his "assault" on the building permit guy at the township. He basically went in there (while I was in Shanghai) and told the guy that he wasn't leaving without a permit in-hand. And that was exactly what happened.

Oh, down your ally, the painters he uses are outstanding...I've seen their work.
    --

Where I work the porta potty is a status symbol (dumpsters meet the criteria as well). We decorate ours with Christmas lights and fake tree branches to be festive and reduce the visual impact on a small lots.

Congratulations, if your neighbors could see it I bet they would be jealous.

What are you adding? Keep the photos coming.

Ben Grunow
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

Ben...you can see details in the plans section of our addition blog at http://toscax.us/blog/addition.htm. This is will be an 1850 sq ft addition to our 1950 sq ft home and bring a master suite, new office for me and laundry on the second floor and a guest suite, multipurpose room and new foyer/entrance. We really don't have the latter now...all entry is directly into the kitchen. And the current house only has one full bath...for four people, three of whom have "indoor plumbing".

The neighbors can certainly see the porta-potty...it's bright blue in a sea of green and is about smack in the middle of our 4 acres as well as visible from the road. The dumpster will be a little more hidden as it will be just outside of my shop.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 08-01-2007 at 8:16 PM.
    --

Indoor plumbing? ROTFLMBO!!! That's instant classic!
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Quote Originally Posted by TYLER WOOD View Post
    Indoor plumbing? ROTFLMBO!!! That's instant classic!
    You expected less from me, Tyler? (I've been using that one a long time...)
    --

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Looking Good Jim. Hang in thee.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

The Whole Hole

Holistically speaking, we now have a whole hole ...well almost.

whole-hole-1.jpg whole-hole-3.jpg whole-hole-2.jpg

The backhoe needs to return tomorrow morning to trim off a little bit more soil from the back wall as the line got accidentally masked during the final hours of work yesterday. That's a pain for him, but shouldn't take too long. And then the crew can finish up the forms for the footing and maybe get it poured on Friday. Maybe...
    --

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Wow Jim, this is major! I'm looking forward to watching the magic. When do you expect to have the enclosure done?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney